Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some help about drawing hair

Tween Member
    Ok (although I like the smaller head ^^)

http://www.co0n.de/pics/anime2.jpg

Pretty hard to draw something on your own, if you have a perfect example right in front of you :-P
    I think this turned out pretty well, although I dont like how I drew the hair on her left cheek (right side of the picture)
    And I used blue, since you guys use blue ^^
    Thanks to you guys, I learned so much today!

If I compare my sketch to yours, there's still a lot of work till I can draw like you, but I didn't expect to become a master in 1 day ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Aeri View Post
    Ok (although I like the smaller head ^^)

http://www.co0n.de/pics/anime2.jpg

Pretty hard to draw something on your own, if you have a perfect example right in front of you :-P
    I think this turned out pretty well, although I dont like how I drew the hair on her left cheek (right side of the picture)
    And I used blue, since you guys use blue ^^
    Thanks to you guys, I learned so much today!

If I compare my sketch to yours, there's still a lot of work till I can draw like you, but I didn't expect to become a master in 1 day ;-)
    I think it is starting to look better, but the curve at the bottom might be too much so it looks kinda weird. try drawing through the body as if was transparent and it might help you see your mistakes. Also do not take advice to heart, because not all advice is right, we are not masters.

Tween Member
    What curve do you mean? There are so many, it's hard to guess Below the armpit?

Yeah you will know what I am talking about if you draw over the image. If you still do not understand post your results and I can redline.

Tween Member
    sorry, but I really dont get, what curves you mean. I though about it and compared to your version.
    I did what you told me and drew over the image and everything seems to fit :-/

http://www.co0n.de/pics/anime3.jpg

because it is hair you want a more gradual change in the curve as I illustrated.
    maybe I am wrong but I think yours has too many parts that curve suddenly instead of a gradual curve.

i don't know if it's still needed but here is my version of the redline. keep in mind when drawing hair:
    hair is light enough to be moved by the force of the wind. though since hair is connected to your head, it has a connection point. closer to the connection point of the hair, the wind can act with less force. so the wind has almost no influence on the hair close to the head. whereas the tips of the hair can be moved most easily.

the green arrow in this redline displays the hair connection point. at this place the hair just follows the general shape of the head, and this will always be so with natural windflows ( when somebody is in free fall or upside down, moves powerfully in one direction, or with a veeeeery strong wind then the hair will go upwards but else the hair follows the shape of the head)

the orange arrow symbolizes the place where hair can move freely. it's the tips of the hair and the wind can work on them very powerfully, but it will never be lifted up above the head with only a natural wind as force.

the purple arrow is where the hair is pulled down by gravity and air pressure. the hair has some weight and as the tips are lifted by the wind, but the rest of the hair is pulled down because of its weight. this is the case by all kinds of hair lengths from short to long. except from hair not influenced noticeably by the gravity. (very short hair or "anti-gravity" hair you see in some anime)

also for the hair strands, everything is connected at one place. when taking all hair strands they can be leaded back at one central point c:

i hope this cleared some up? if any questions still, then please ask me and i'll try to explain better :3

Tween Member
    Help is always wanted
    I don't have too much time to draw, since I am studying for my final exam at university, but in the evenings I pick up my pen to free my head ;-)
    So it might take a while until I can try our your tips and tricks, but I read them and I am thankfull

PS: I think the movement of the hair is not only to simulate wind, but also for dynamic movement of the character.
    Turning the head left to right or something like that will cause the hair to move too and a wildly dynamic hair gives a lot of message to the picture.
    So in this case, wind is not the only source of movement in the picture.
    Last edited by Aeri; 02-27-2013 at 02:35 PM.

sounds very similar to me, except It feels like I have given up on art all together

@aeri: that's great to hear then, that my explanation was good for something :3 about character movement, i think i already adressed it a bit in my explanation, but i think that for character movement it's hard to give you an exact explanation. for giving tips on that i am afraid i know too little to give you exact directions, for that i think you can best search for a tutorial of a professional artist to direct you, or simply try and observe yourself: just take an action movie and stop the screen at different moments :3 the only thing i can mention is that hair always follows the movement of the character in a delayed movement, when turning a head it's creating centrifugal (i think it's called) force and then the same rules as to wind replies, the tips of the hair having most freedom to move ^^

and no problem just take your time, i'm glad i've helped c: