Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Callesthe's art (studies again!)

Callesthe's art (studies again!)

Hey everyone, as i just recently registered to these forums i thought it was a good idea to make my critique topic as well!
    First i'll post some hand and feet studies of the last few days, as well as some other things. i should have done more but laziness hit me :c

and some gesture drawings (60 sec) :

critiques very much appreciated!! ;w;
    Last edited by Callesthe; 10-12-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Hey there Callesthe!!

Looks like you are heading in the right direction with your practice, not sure if you do it, but might help if you were to jot down some notes to help you remember the shapes, forms and pattern of the anatomy! ;D

Keep it up!

thank you so much for the tip! hehe i'm generally bad at translating shapes to words.. i could indeed try and see how that will go :3

something for a poster i'm working on atm:

Loving the shading so far!! His legs appear about half a head too short. Even though, it's a baggy space suit, the crotch being that low would limit his walking and leg movement a bit. I'd raise the crotch slightly, probably about a quarter of a head at the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

@JJJorgie: aww thank you for the critique! i had edited the drawing as you told me but sadly i have decided this design wasn't good enough.

therefore i started something new, but this time more sci-fi. the sketch:

this needs to be finished quickly: the deadline is already tomorrow so i'm pretty much stressed out ;__;

Oooo I like this one better than the previous version. The other one felt similar to modern day space suits, this one has more of a sci-fi feel to it and i really like it. I only have a few comments - just some little things that you may have already noticed. I would work on the hands a bit more, as they're different sizes at the moment and they feel a bit awkward or stiff. Their positioning isn't really a huge deal (the size difference is the main thing) but it might be interesting to try different things and see what you like. For example: when you relax your hands by your side your fingers sort of naturally curl a bit, but when your tense or angry they ball into fists. Something to think about Also when you line it, pay attention to the middle line on the torso. (I'm talking about the space between the plates on his chest suit thingy) At the moment it's sort of uneven in width and doesn't feel like its following the line of his torso as much. Also his legs feel a little off balance, i'm talking mainly about the left leg i think... it's hard to tell which leg is supporting the weight but i think its the right one? Anyway These are all very small nitpicky things that I thought would be worth consideration. Overall I think it's a stronger design, just having him not face us directly makes it more interesting. Anyway, i hope that made sense and was helpful. XD Your art is awesome and i can't wait to see this finished! Good luck with the deadline!

Along with all that Cora's said, really watch your symmetry. The forearm widths are really different, one knee pad (?) is higher and smaller than the other, etc. Good luck! I can't wait to see it done!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

ahh yes i notice it now ^^ thank you both for all the tips ;w;

@corastaur: i'm so happy you took the time to point such many errors out, sadly for the hands i have to tell you i really rushed them in, actually sloppy from my side D: so i didn't really pay attention to the hands position, as i had to really hurry up. i think it's a pity as well ;n; i think i had already found out about the legs and arms during the process of colouring, i have adjusted them a bit right now and i hope that this way it is right? also it isn't hard to notice but i simply didn't have the time to lineart the matter at all.. and yes, i feel more free in designing something totally conceptual, i thought it's hard to design some interesting normal space suit... i'm glad you like it, i prefer it a lot more as well :3

also it has a quite rushed colouring. because i got not much time left tomorrow i will only be able to change some major mistakes, sadly no chance to add anything new to it, or make the drawing more detailed. i've chosen to use basic colours and a simple shading for the body as well as some more detailed shading at the head, to give it the greatest feel of being finished.. so please tell me if i have left some mistakes out. i see the hands (as well as the lower arms) are still odd so i'll change that in a bit ^^

I'm not sure if you get the same feeling, but it just comes across a little stiff to me. Also the hand on the left seems to have thicker fingers than the right.

It's probably a bit late to mention it now, but the feet of the suit seem very close fit around the feet of the person wearing it. Given that the chest is relatively well armoured, it might be worth working in more protection around the feet, just to keep it consistent. I like the helmet though.