Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird starting point

Weird starting point

So, I decided on a whim that I want to actually start learning how to draw properly. Most of the stuff I know to do is from just common sense when drawing or just picked up along high school, so I have plenty of gaps in knowledge about art (Art major, but a certain bad school didn't teach me anything). Also, I have not much practice either, there may be signs of that. I really want to know how to develop an ability to draw, and learn where I want to or can take it. So here goes:

tifa.jpg(Referenced) Fanart from highschool. Just goes to show how little i've changed my drawing style.
    posemaniac.jpgBrowsing the forums, came across posemaniac, decided to try it last night, with the timer on 90s.
    ship.jpgA spaceship from what little imagination I have. I have trouble doing stuff like that, from the imagination, I mean.
    practice.jpgOld drawing of me trying to figure out how to draw basic stuff in proportion. It feels broken, I don't know why.
    4up.jpg(Referenced) Now this one I did like a couple days ago, I don't know the real way to draw anime, and I feel like i missed a couple of steps drawing this in the middle. I'm still really unfamiliar with digital painting. Also, the figure's messed up, I feel like it's something with the torso and arms. Wait, that's like half the picture...Colors don't look good either.

I embrace harsh critiques, I know there's a long way I have to go and that's the fastest route there. I can't judge my own things very well. I also appreciate red marks on top of the drawing to show me where to fix something.

theres no real way to draw anime anyway just work on fundamentals u will be awesome in no time keep up the good work

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    Well, okay... these are awesome. I was saying to myself (bitterly) "Well, that's just 'cause they're an art major" but then I saw the one you drew in highschool and... O_o, yeah okay. Nevermind. You can draw, and by that I mean you can DRAW.

Awesome coloring btw. I think that is one of the biggest parts of "anime" style. There's a certain way of shading/coloring that gives it a distinctiveness from say, American style cartoons/comics. There is also line to consider, manga/anime tends to be pretty light/simplistic when it comes to blacks. There are exceptions of course, but generally speaking it's a lot more "delicate," if you get my drift.

Differences:
    SPOILER! :

There is a lot more line work going on, cross-hatching, shading, etc. (And keep in mind that this is just the pencils!!!) As opposed to manga:

Which is free-er within the panels and relies mostly on stylistic lines and gradients to achieve the "dramatic" effect.

*Chose a page from "Darker than Black" b/c the protag is often reffered to by fans as "electric Chinese batman," funny little something there.

Manga tends to use fewer panels, and used to be called more "cinematic" in pacing and "shot angles" and such. (Although American comics are drifting that way as well now. Although the panel counts are still much higher.)

But that was all on manga... not anime... uh...

American cartoons are again, heavier on lines. Yet they don't typically have as much detail (in backgrounds or characters) and use solid/"block" colors. But I think you've grasped all that perfectly, so I'm not sure where your fears are founded. In the actual animation itself there are different processes. Anime uses key-frames and color coding while I'm pretty sure that American cartoons still animate characters frame by frame. Maybe I'm wrong on this though.

But I got to say, you can't beat a good ol' Marvel colorist:
    SPOILER! :

So yeah, anyway. Don't know what you mean by "skipping" steps. All of these look really good, except maybe your proportions on the figures seem to be a bit off in places. They also look a little stiff to me. Especially 2 and 4. Maybe free up your hand a bit more. Look for gesture and life in the poses you were drawing from. (And I know how hard that is to do when you use posemaniac, heh.)

Awesome colors. The last one is my favorite, but the spaceship looks good too. You should add more detail. xD And the way you draw faces is awesome. I have... issues with realism.

-Rebel
    Last edited by theAnimeRebel; 12-21-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

I don't disagree with any of what's been said already, but given that your Misaka image is the most recent one, I'm guessing that you're interested in what sort of techniques the people who draw in that kind of style are using. It's not the magic bullet, but it's well worth having a look at digital painting videos on youtube; watching someone work right through their process makes trying to understand it much, much easier. A guy you might want to have a look at is Reiq. His tutorial videos aren't the most in depth, but he explains what he's doing fairly well and his work has that kind of softer, cell-shaded look to it. Just don't google him at work, some of his stuff is a bit racy.

On a more direct note, I think the Misaka one would be stronger if you could put some darker colours into the shadowed areas and maybe vary the line weight a little more. The initial sketch actually has more interesting lines than the final version.

I would also take a look at faces since there doesn't really seem to be alignment. As you went through the Mikasa drawing somehow the the chin became unaligned with the rest of the face. There is also relatively little thought into the foreshortening of facial features, such as the eyes, as the face is titled away.

As for the anatomical drawing you did to work out proportion; did you use gestures at all? If not, that may be why it is stiff and feeling "broken". When doing studies like that make sure to work from reference as well.

figurecap1.jpg @Demonfyre/animerebel: I did a check on stiffness of my figures, and I did an internet search about it, because honestly I wasn't seeing it before but now I sorta get it. I read somewhere that using straight lines would kill gesture in a figure drawing and cause it to go stiff, so starting off with a gesture drawing would've helped. Here I'm reposing it, I took away the reference fairly early so I'm not really using it anymore since it doesn't apply as much. What I don't get is what you mean by foreshortening of the facial features??Did I move them somewhere wrong? Also, should i use posemaniac without a timer if I'm a beginner at figure drawing? it's longest timer is frustrating to me.

cap1.jpg @Demonfyre/Gaff: So I checked the proportions on the face and the chin was out of alignment because there was no chin in the first place. Go figure. I also looked at Reiq's videos, I haven't done lineart like that before, so that was a bit of a doozy for me. I'm sort of guessing where to put thicker and thing lines, and putting the really big dark spots, trying to do Reiq's way of linework took me several hours...I took a guess at what the foreshortening issues were so i made tiny changes to try and move things around.

The lineart on her face looks much better now; it has more a sense of depth to it. I'd be wary of defining her fringe too heavily though. I get that her hair does have a lot of separate strands in the official art, but I feel if you get too caught up in marking out separate sections, it can start to look greasy or unnatural.

The redline figure looks fine too.

By foreshortening I mean the illusion of how shapes and objects change as they move further or closer to us. For example in your figure drawing the closest arm should be foreshortened (by getting larger) as it is moving towards us and is taking up a larger portion of the viewers field of vision. Foreshortening is hard and will take practice, but its essentially to understand as it really defines the small details. On the face the far away eye will get thinner on a horizontal plane as it is further away from us and subsequently less can be "detected" in a metaphorical way. This is what I mean by the foreshortening of facial features.

As for stiffness, here is a really nice video to help you with your gestures and anatomy in general:

As for gesture drawing, I would put a 30s-1m timer, that should be long enough. If you struggle to get the pose down however, maybe increase the time - but you shouldn't worry about details.

Mikasa's face is looking much better now, but I think you can make the hair flow better which will really make the drawing pop out.

cap6.jpg(WIP) So I worked on this one a lot, wondering if I'm biting off more than I can chew. Suggested changes I made, I made the hair lighter, took away the heavy stuff, and tried to get it to "flow", though I'm not sure if I made more than 30% difference. I think, that the main mistake I made with hair is that I was thinking "Ok, anime. anime has spiky hair. Like dbz". I redrew some of the eyes and re-posed the body, it didn't make sense perspectively before so I had to imagine wth goes on with the lower body. I had trouble drawing the arm on the hip, the hand I made up was a bit weird but I followed my instincts with that. Foreshortened it a little bit, too, made it a little bit smaller.

Thanks for all your help guys, I've never done a drawing like this before, it almost feels too ambitious.

2.jpgA family portrait, not my family but it is my work. I did this drawing with vinyl charcoal on heavy paper. The process I did this drawing with was from photo, but make the drawing straight through with no guide lines or prelim sketch, and no erasing. It requires extreme focus, so it took me 12h total. Do any of you know of any thinking methods to practice drawing straight though? Kind of like the Chris Scalf (digital painter) does it

Working on the gestural drawings, but guess what. My figures I posted before was how I did "gestural drawings" in school, and my drawing teacher accepted them like that. Way to go art department.

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    Drawing straight? O_o ... Okay...

But no, really, don't know what you mean there. If you mean "straighter lines" try making broader, bigger, freeer pencil strokes. Open up your hand more. (Easy to say, hard to actually do.)

I also find it ironic that you are intimidated by anime. Heh.
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)