Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tablet vs. Traditional

What? the PS thing? Well, maybe I left out the learning curve. I mean, sure...those effects (drop shadow, bevel & emboss, satin , etc;...) can be useful if you know how. Some of the preset filters are awesome too if used sparingly. Creating 3d objects is okay I guess. I used use 'em all the time. But these days, it's just easier for me to just CG my stuff without effects.

Or did you mean all that program jumping I have do to get clean line art? If you know a better way & I'm sure there is...don't be stingy man! Let a brutha know what's up!

I use hard edge embossing all the time for icons and logos and shit.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I assumed you were referring to the vast majority of PS effects; such as gradients, shapes, layer modes, glows, etc, because those are used pretty often in the professional field.

If you just meant filters and the like, I'm more inclined to agree there, I mean they can be good, but can just as easily ruin a piece as much as help them.
    I've used a few filters in some of my own work, just to create a quick texture, or a more abstract look I desired.

Just sayin' though, cause I thought you were just one of those peeps that hate on the convenience of things. Artists who are more rooted in the traditional way of things have a hard time as seeing digital 'tools' for tools rather than shortcuts and cheats, but then you look back and realize camera obscura was just one big convenience, and nobody said jack, lol.

As for the scanning thing, nah man, I still do that myself, haha.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Yeah I was referring to the filters. The other stuff certainly gets used. I meant stuff like using drop shadow for lighting & shit like bubble wrap for 'shiny' stuff & then running through a art filter like poster edges or watercolor. Sometime you cab get good stuff,but it always seems to overpower my original work.

lol Yes I'mold school. I'd be just as content with taking my boards down to FedEx Office & laying them out for print after I've inked & toned it all by hand. I'm not too far behind the tech curve though. that's why I'm here on MT (I get to pick the brains of folks who are still in school or are more pro than my intermediate ass). I do believe that ultimately, whatever your medium is, not cutting corners makes for the best work though.

See, I just realized that shit about the scan/ import/ export thing makes stuff cleaner. You still gotta roll up your sleeves and get it cracking though.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Shaggie View Post
    I do believe that ultimately, whatever your medium is, not cutting corners makes for the best work though.
    Agreed. And I do cut a lot of corners, as the field I'm looking to go into/have some experience in demands you get a lot done, and make it look good, and in a very short period of time. Thus knowing the best routes to the best possible product is a useful skill to us concept artists.
    I myself put in a lot of time in my shortcuts as I do working on the main piece, i.e. some of my work is actually an overpaint of a 3D model, therefore I don't have to worry about correct proportioning and can get right down to the design. But those models (shortcuts) take a pretty hefty amount of time to create in themselves.

Kinda long-winded. What I'm basically saying is when you're in a fast moving profession, you need to have a good workflow, and have your shortcuts aced; know which corners to cut, and how many.
    I suppose this is why speedpainting is so big, I dunno, lol.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Very true. I guess I just caught up to that speed painting stuff. But I use my OG sketch. At work, I do mostly layout & it's so simple that I can do them while I'm chatting here lol. Sometimes I have some really challenging designs though & shortcuts do help out. For a relic, I'm getting it together. hey I just bought my first smart phone last July! I'm about to ugrade from tablet to pad soon & I'd wager shit'll get a whole lot faster then. Seems like the biggest problem folks just starting out is getting their stuff into a digital format. Master this, and you can figure out your own finishing method.

I like to think like the Major from Ghost in the Shell: "It's simple. Overspecialize & you breed in weakness." That's why I stick to my old school roots. One must stay on the trend of tech though.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Shaggie View Post
    For years I'd just do pen and ink w/ screen tones sometimes & scan that into PS as line art. This is a cool method, but now that I have a tablet..I can see how useful it is to that same process. You could scan into your art program (PS, GIMP...WTF ever...) as line art & use the tablet to 'redo' your line art. In PS, I've discovered if I do that & import the line art into AI, I can do a live trace & make my lines smooth & vectored. Then back to PS for coloring or adding screens.

Maybe it seems tedious, but I just started doing this on a recent project & my stuff looks way cleaner than before.

By the way, PS effects are for noobs. Do all your shading & highlights yourself.
    Yeah, I've found the tablet to be a pain in the ass to just start drawing with. Much easier to trace lines that are already there.

P.S.
    I don't use PS effects :P Pretty much the only thing I do on Gimp (or PS, if I decided to use that) is color the things that need to be all black w/ the Paintbucket tool. (I can't color someone's entire head of hair in with pen). Just the hair of this I did in Gimp:
    http://s1280.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Hey don't judge me! It's my first sketch okay

Yea man, if you have those traditional roots, never let go of it. I always make sure to keep up to snuff on both sides of the spectrum. I've taken pretty much all the drawing and painting classes I can, and at the same time doing typography, working with InDesign, Illustrator, and just doing digital design stuff. Then I come home and dig into PS, Zbrush, Max; go to class the next day with a backpack full of acrylics, lol.

Best to stay as versatile as possible in the art world. The one trick pony thing doesn't work as well as it did 400 years ago, sadly.
    Just another movement, I suppose.
    <My comic

Yeah, that's pretty much the trend. So, Socky, son't worry about where you are skill wise right now. as matter of fact, don't worry too much about trying to find the best way for you to do your work either. If I were you, I'd just have fun drawing stuff & playing around with that bamboo and your pencils, inks or whatever.

Well..
    I have a tablet, but... I'm not THAT good at it. Manga Studio really helps you a lot when you can't draw well on digital.

But deep inside? I think grabbing a pencil and creating something on paper, is more rewarding than making it on manga studio.
    It is a feeling of creating something from nothing, and giving life to it, that... makes you feel like winning a prince or something, I really don't know how to describe it..