Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manga Names

I'm Not a Spammer!

Manga Names

Guys i need help we started doing a manga with our team and now i need to do the names but my drawing skills really sucks what can i do to improve them so i can at least draw a name?

Practice or pay someone else to do it

Draw a name? as in calligraphy skills? there are a lot of good calligraphy books around, visit your library

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Study typography if you want to draw names. Either that or study fonts, look at titles you like and try to ape them but generally speaking, titles should be written in a way that represents your manga. If you take a look at video game titles for example, the titles usually represent the game or at least give off a feeling of what the game is about. Take a look at manga titles as well. Most of the time, they have something that marks it as unique such as One Piece, Fairy Tail, and so on.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    What Rio said, and even then it doesn't have to be anything too elaborate, for example: Ghost in The Shell, Afro Samurai, Samurai Champloo, Samurai 7, Tenjo Tenge, Redline, Dead Leaves, etc.

One of my favorite examples of I think is 'elaborate' what with the text resembling blood, and the cross behind it.

And then there are the simplistic looks that capture a certain style such as the extra-bold stencil looking type face in Tokyo Tribes.

It just has to capture a sort of atmosphere or feel, and you can get to that point with either a good design mind, and having someone else do it for you, or lots and lots of practice. Typography knowledge can definitely help you with this more than traditional 'arts' knowledge can.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

erm...

I'm guessing by a name he means an outline for a comic - and not a title - like (from a page in Bakuman):

If you want to improve the quality of your names study lots of figure drawing, since you don't have to be very detailed with your drawings in names.
    You just want to capture the general feel and layout of each page. This video is a good place to start, and there's a billion more on youtube and bunch of good figure drawing tutorials all over the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Top View Post
    erm...

I would just like to point out that this is a fantastic reference to use.
    Maybe stuffs to be made for deviants soon
    http://trnal.deviantart.com

I'm Not a Spammer!
    Actually i was talknig for the thing n top mentioned but thanks all for replying
    Any more advices are welcomed...

I'm Not a Spammer!
    Does anyone know any programm so icna draw manga names in my pc??

Yeah every single one. You could even use MS Paint. Seriously, MS Paint comics are huge.