Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving out

Like said earlier in the thread, you'll have to deal with buttloads of resposibility.
    Seen as you (Bya) live in the Benelux you'll have right to a scholarship for people living on their own.
    however, that will mostly be spent on electricity/gas/water bills, rent, school, etc.
    Also, you might want to employ the services of a nearby foodbank if you only have like a 100 bucks to spend on food a month (you will need to save up some money in case your washing machine or fridge breaks).

So yeah, you will have less money for the fun stuff. My advice would be to take a job on the side in the evenings or weekends... which is easier said than done in the current state of the economy.

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    I have not left home yet, and probably would not if I were in your shoes. I completely understand your desire for more freedom, I truly do, but I would only move out I were financially stable enough to do so. In my opinion, a little more personal freedom is only worth it if you can afford it. Keep working and save up so that you don't need a loan. Also apply for financial assistance if any is available to you, as HB mentioned.

In addition, don't be blindsided by the expenses of living on your own. The big ones are pretty obvious, but the little ones can add up fast. Try to imagine what living on your own would be like, and make a list of everything you think you would need to spend money on regularly. Add things that might only be once in a while occurrences. Everything. Find out how much they would cost, prioritize them and figure out what you could afford and what you would be happy doing without. A little financial planning can go a long way. Also, SAVE everything you can (within reason). This becomes much more difficult to impossible when you're living on your own and going to school, so do as much as you can while you're still at home.

For example, my current situation:
    live at home, pay $250 rent monthly
    spend $150-$200 monthly on transportation, dining out, personal hygiene, entertainment (a movie, art supplies, etc.), miscellaneous expenses (postage stamps, etc.)
    remaining balance (usually $200-$300) goes into savings

My savings are divided into short-term savings (emergency expenses, taxes, or large purchases) and long-term savings (retirement, tuition, REALLY big purchases). Thankfully, I do not currently have to pay for health-insurance, utilities or a cellphone. Even though my daily life might be a little more restricted by rules and generally sharing a household with other people who drive me insane, the financial benefits allow me much more freedom in my spare time. Just some things to keep in mind.

Edit: Also, get on Skype. D: <
    Last edited by indescribable; 02-01-2013 at 01:23 PM.

I AM ON SKYPE, TAY.

Also, thank you all for your wonderfull opinions!!
    It means a lot to me that you all are being very considerate of my situation and mental state... Thank you kindly!

I understand a lot what you all have been coming from, and with freedom comes ofcourse great responsibility.
    I obsolutely need to get my finances together, i actually do work part-time and save what i can save.. but since im also paying my own licence i dont end up saving much..

Actually i want myself to become more resposnible and have been feeling that would only happen if driven to the utmost level (like i dont learn for a test until the last day...) so moving out would make me push to do so, but i guess that won't be much fun! but it would be great if i could learn to get my shit together, even though i've been trying so for 3 years while i've been living at home... '
    My relationship with my family isnt that great, and i think that moving out will also lift the pressure that my family puts on me, but then again my family is weird so it may just end up putting more pressure on me for moving out... Even though the only ones at home are me and mom most of the time, my brother and sister in law do live with us(temporarely), i still get into fights and religious rants, i would rather not deal with those...

But this is probably not the right decision to deal with those problems... i'll try to figure out my finances first, since this topic is always nagging in a corner in my mind, maybe the real finances on paper will finally put an end at that nagging thought.

Also the loan is from the government and not a bank so the interest is a bit lower than with banks and you can pay after a longer time.

The maximum you can loan is dependable on your situation mine would be i think 300 per month, maybe more. The interest is 0.6%, but you pay AFTER your course finished and you have 15 years after your college degree to finish the pay. the min. term to pay-back per month is 45,41 per month, and depending on your situation you may also sometimes not pay a month or pay less..
    Last edited by Byakuran; 02-01-2013 at 04:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Togame
    Cheerio

You need a full time job or to get another part time job. I'm not sure you understand how expensive this is going to be.

Alternatively, you can get in school & use your loan money to get a place...shit just go to school & get a dorm room. That's about as good of a 'practice' for living on your own without having to break your pockets. But remember, student loans have to be paid back too.

In any case, to cut those apron strings is going to cost. Have you considered offering to pay rent at your folks like Indescribable suggested? When I was in college I moved in with my dad & step family because they were in the town I went to school at. I paid my pops a portion of the rent & bout my own grub. He didn't put in restrictions on my movements because I contributed to the household. Let me have the den for my room & it felt like a tiny flat because in theback of the house & I had my own entrance.

Kept catching my teen age step brother trying to sneak girls in there though...

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Like Linz said, it's extremely common to live with parents in your 20s, so there's no reason to rush if you're not ready. I live on my own most of the time, but I go back to my parents' house during the summer because it's cheaper. I am responsible for my own food, transportation, and recreation—as well as my monthly student loan payments. I expect within the next year or two that I will stop going back during the summer, but that may also mean that I'll have to get a job where I fly up to the north part of the state and work 10-12 hours a day, seven days a week in two-week intervals to pick up the slack.

NECRO POSTIN,
    but i wanted to say i have MOVED OUT. Yeah i totally ignored y'alls advice! haha naw jk, i kept a lot of things in mind and this was the best option for me at the time and now too i guess, no regrets =) (i really mis my mom though... although she is just 7km away, i miss..the idea of her? ;_; )

It wasnt really the age thing that was bothering me, but i did feel i should be more independant, but i also wanted more freedom and peace

Anyways, i just want to say
    It's expensive EVERYTHING AAAH. but it's worth it! I did take a student loan and all since i want to live comfortable and pay all my attention to my study (so i didnt want to continue my part time job >.>)

I moved to the city where my college is and my college is only 10min cycling~ and i'm like 7min walking from the city~
    The place is on the first floor and a little studio(one room appartment) i have my own kitchen and bathroom and a (very) little balcony haha. I could post pictures if you want but it..isnt that much so dont expect a lot. I havent really decorated yet since it takes monnney i just chose for cheap stuff that could work out, if i had more money my place would've looked nicer =(. but yeah oke!

Thank y'all again for replying and stuff and giving opinions and stuff. <3 LOVE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Togame
    Cheerio

ya gimme pictures.

wouldn't it be funny if you spent the rest of your life in debt

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Congrats on not listening to our bickering and being truly independent m8. Hopefully the days to come are kind to you on your journey, but beware. The snow hides the wolves in their hunt.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."