Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Call me Chii. (Silver Rock pg.2)

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    I don't know about contrast but definitely adding white to Blitz will give you instant metallic look. Other than that - I had to think quite a bit about the white mass up front. At first I thought it was a power (think Hadoken from Street Fighter) but then I saw the chains and thought, "punching bag?" Maybe if you added seams or made the contrast between the chains and Vi so they don't blend in as well, it would've been better overall. My 2 cents... :>

Demonfyre & Rio: Thank you for the advice, I agree that more whites and probably more contrast too would help Blitz look a lot more like an actual robot. The seem on the punching bag in front is an awesome idea too, I wish I had had more time to put that in.

Annnd hey MT. So I haven't been able to update as much as I had originally hoped but I have at least been keeping this poor thread from dying. One of the reasons I haven't been posting as much as I used to in my own thread is because the kind of work I've been doing is of a different nature than the types of sketches and other work a lot of MTers post.

I live in Berkeley, CA a sizable town right by Emeryville, aka Pixar Studios and a few outlet stores. A group of guys from Pixar started an animation school across the street from the studio so I've been taking workshops there for about a year now. My most recent one is Storyboarding which has been a lot of fun.

Thing is, the drawings that come from it are quick and dirty. Clarity is way more important than pretty drawings. Here's a fun little GIF of one of my recent boards:

I'm a novice but hopefully I can improve.

Now to go critique...

*keeps watching forever* so awesome

:cough: now that my story workshop is over and I'm not drowning in AS many projects. Here's my most recent commission, just finished last night:

Working on color and light. Gosh they're hard.

Impressive. You've done a great job blending the colours of the light in the area where the pickaxe is striking the rocks - it's very atmospheric. I actually really like the logo as well; the little veins of light around the edges are a nice touch.

My only big concern would be the sense of scale in the picture. It didn't seem as noticeable after I'd been looking at it for a while, but at first glance, I felt the figure in the background was normal height, while the kid was just really small. The pickaxe being about as big as the kid kind of reinforces that too.

It might be more down to personal opinion than anything else, but I think the lighting in the background would look better if you smoothed the strokes out more as well. The rendering is very smooth in the foreground and on the figures, so I feel leaving such clear, loose strokes in the background is a bit jarring.

Whoa, cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaff View Post
    Impressive. You've done a great job blending the colours of the light in the area where the pickaxe is striking the rocks - it's very atmospheric. I actually really like the logo as well; the little veins of light around the edges are a nice touch.

My only big concern would be the sense of scale in the picture. It didn't seem as noticeable after I'd been looking at it for a while, but at first glance, I felt the figure in the background was normal height, while the kid was just really small. The pickaxe being about as big as the kid kind of reinforces that too.

It might be more down to personal opinion than anything else, but I think the lighting in the background would look better if you smoothed the strokes out more as well. The rendering is very smooth in the foreground and on the figures, so I feel leaving such clear, loose strokes in the background is a bit jarring.
    Hey Gaff, thanks a ton for the comment. Your advice is extremely helpful, I agree with both. The kid in the front is supposed to be a smaller 12-year-old but the pickaxe makes him look tiny. I hadn't really thought about the size inconsistency until after I was already 75% done. Were I to do another piece, it'd be far smaller.

I may go back and smooth out the painting in the background. I did this really quickly (3 sessions of 6-8 hrs) so I hadn't thought much about the background strokes but I think you might be right.

Sylux: Thank you . It's created from a script a friend wrote.