Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mikiyell's ART, I would appreciate critiques!

If you're trying to figure out how to construct your figures, I'd first learn what exactly these sticks, balls, and cubes represent. I'm talking about how the skeleton works, moves together, and how you can stylize it into simple shapes where you can then sketch and flesh out your figures.

You should pick up a copy of Andrew Loomis' "Figure Drawing for All Its Worth". It has very detailed and to the point explanations and helpful pictures for the kind of thing you want - Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Joosh View Post
    If you're trying to figure out how to construct your figures, I'd first learn what exactly these sticks, balls, and cubes represent. I'm talking about how the skeleton works, moves together, and how you can stylize it into simple shapes where you can then sketch and flesh out your figures.

You should pick up a copy of Andrew Loomis' "Figure Drawing for All Its Worth". It has very detailed and to the point explanations and helpful pictures for the kind of thing you want - Construction.
    I looked up that book on amazon and it does seem to have just what I'm looking for. Thank you for the suggestion. Seems like I can only go so far with simple shapes so I'm going to need to step up my understanding of anatomy. That book looks like it'll be just what I need. I'll see if I can post some studies from it when I get a chance.

If I remember rightly, the book is out of print. However you can find it all for free on the internet.

http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/Loomi...ure%20Draw.pdf

You may also want to look into the other Loomis books, they are useful and generally just an interesting read as well.

Also I would suggest delving into a study of the musculature and bones, you can work surface anatomy, but understanding and drawing underneath the skin is helpful for some people.
    The kombucha mushroom people, sitting around all day.

Uploaded some more sketches. Some surface anatomy drawings I did a few months back, some attempts at stylized drawings, and my most recent pen and ink practice.
    Last edited by mikiyell; 11-24-2013 at 11:23 PM.