Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: why is it so hard to draw

Teen Member
    or if your Aladeen from the dictator lol

I pretty much agree with Gunz & Fox on this one. Hard work, dedication & practice are all you need to improve your art. Of the three, I'd say dedication is the most important. Talent helps though.

Practice is very important too (I daresay more than dedication? But definitely debatable). I think the best way to improve is to accept commissions or do free requests. Then you accumulate a huuuge waitlist and if you work too slow, your commissioners start nagging you day and night, which forces you to pump out more and more drawings. Good for motivation, definitely not good for your stress level.

You need to like it, because stress is going to be a every day thing.

Working hard is good and all, but just striding along aimlessly isn't necessarily going to help. I think it helps a lot to set up goals for everything you try to do, because that makes it easier to evaluate your own progress and improve where you're weak.

Quote Originally Posted by shimario View Post
    like the title says why is it so hard to draw i mean i've been practicing here and there but i've mostly been doing tracing. i can picture the drawing in my head but when i go to draw it it looks crap or it doesn't look anything like it i wonder why that is. Artist how are you so good at drawing did it just come to you naturally or what?
    I believe it is their talent. Honestly, I am also trying my best to draw but it always fails me...
    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

On drawing...

as something to do for a living (am in architecture field) I will share a bit of my experience as a part timer in a landscape firm.
    You have to love it.
    You have to love it enough that you can sacrifice time with friends, family, and own pleasures just to meet deadlines.
    Sometimes, you will not sleep for days. Sometimes your weekends are taken. The work you must do occupies you even in lunch breaks and notices come even during baths.
    You will just be drawing, drawing and drawing over and over. Correcting mistakes, adding ideas, and sometimes restarting from scratch.
    Lucky if inspiration struck you but most of the time it will be repetitive and annoyingly detailed.

After these tiresome days of just drawing (or coding on architecture software in my case), you will have to show up with your boss or your client to discuss whether previous revisions were done. After that meeting, do not expect it to be the end because you are most likely up to another round of revisions. Note that most of the time (specially in client meetings) no one would even take notice of the great things you did because everyone is so busy doing what has to be done so that the drawing (the building or landscape in my case) could actually be achieved. Lucky if the client is generous enough to drop small tiny compliments about every so little thing you did but that rarely happens.

Its a painful experience but personally after going through a lot more like this and you realize you still want it then you must have loved drawing (or architecture or whatever).

You must learn to pat your own self on the back, not necessarily for doing a good job but at least trying to. The best part if the thing gets finally approved and published (or be built in case of architecture). Though, it is highly recommended that you must already be happy with the act of drawing itself rather than the outcome of it.

If it helps, think of the other people who has lost the opportunity to draw due to accidents (loss of their eyesight or if their arms were cut off). Think that it is better that we have been give a chance to draw and don't take it for granted.

In plain terms, you should love it and understand that love is most likely about sacrifice.
    Last edited by BunnyVoid; 01-21-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Sacrifice is good and all, and mostly a requirement, but do remember too much of anything can be harmful. You could easily kill your love of something by giving it too much love, so much love that you start to lack love for other things.

You still need to keep balance so you don't destroy yourself following your dream/profession, because it can happen, and does happen.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

yahhh... i should keep that in mind too...
    thanks for that comment. its kind of thoughtful really.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

Have you guys read "I am sick" Johnen Vasquez? It basically an anti teaching, it encourage to work alone, never listen to teams or superiors and always sacrifice your social life.