Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The egg thread.

The egg thread.

This is just a thread to talk about the quality of eggs in your area. I noticed that while I was in Seattle, the egg yolks are almost a fluoro yellow and they taste horrible.

In Australia, our egg yolks have a nice orange-yellow colouration and are delicious. It makes me wonder how different laying hens could be treated. What are we feeding ours that could be different to what Americans are feeding theirs, do Americans still use hormones in their chicken. Et cetera.
    i wake up every morning and brush my teeth with rainbows after i piss excellence and wash my face with glory

You can find eggs from chickens that haven't been treated with any hormones in America, it just usually costs more and is only available at places like Whole Foods or Sprouts. But most eggs you find at the normal supermarkets have been treated with hormones of some kind :/

Although the biggest factor in the crappy taste in most animal foods here is the fact that we feed pretty much all of our livestock corn, because that's the thing that we are best at making. And of course feeding everything corn instead of what it's supposed to eat makes it less healthy too -_-.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Our local eggs are perfectly fine, though I haven't tried to big organic ones or anything, cause the regulars are good enough and don't cost a ton.
    I did have some weeeeird eggs while I was in the UK though.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

I want to try blue eggs... there are supposed to be chickens in here that lay those eggs, but I have never seen them on the market =/.

One thing I'm proud of this country is that hormonal treatment is non existence. Most of this is thanks to old praxis of good ethical farming and livestock, many companies that work in this understand that they get a better product by treating it better and giving a better diet. And also that small farmers are still important on the industry, and they also understand the previews principle. So hormonal treated food doesn't exist here.

The yolks are basically the same, but I hate it.

^Clock: I think you're talking about Rainbow Layers. They're a breed of chicken that lays different colored eggs (mainly blue), but it's still very rare for them to lay the odd colored eggs.

I have my own laying chickens. When compared to the store's eggs, ours are bigger with stronger shells and have a larger, darker yolk. Ours also have a better flavor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Dunno, its the Polynesian chicken who laid those eggs, but also does the mapuche chicken in here.

the eggs around here r good imo does that answer ur question

Quote Originally Posted by Hayashida View Post
    the eggs around here r good imo does that answer ur question
    ya thx
    i wake up every morning and brush my teeth with rainbows after i piss excellence and wash my face with glory

Beingin the Music City, there's a whole lot of rural counties around Nashville. So, getting free range eggs isn't an issue. The hipsters & neo-hippes that have taken over my part of town (Ya'll come to Little Five Points if you're ever in the 'Ville. We'll show you how NOT country Tennessee's capital is.) have a home grown food market. So I get some JUMBO brown eggs with nice an healthy yellow orange yolks for the low low.

I have an egg allergy, which really sucks since eggs are used in so many different types of foods. Breads, cakes, mayo, etc; all these things must be eaten in low amounts because of the fact that my limit is roughly one to one-and-a-half eggs within the course of a day. If I go over this limit, I start having breathing problems and, if I had too much, my esophagus starts to close causing me to choke. I do take medicine, but sometimes it doesn't do much.

Despite this fact, I do eat eggs and must say that I'm thankful that the eggs here are not the same as what are sold in the US. When I was in the US, it seemed that most of what I ate ended up triggering my allergy, regardless of whether I was under the one-and-a-half egg limit, and on more than one occasion I ended up choking. One interesting thing is that, for eggs in the US, the egg whites alone wouldn't really do much of anything but eating a cooked egg with the yolk would cause the inside of the my mouth to become all itchy.

I hate having to deal with food allergies. Food allergies suck. (>_<)
    よろしく