Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Apparently, THE END IS NEAR!

Sooo... what date has been scheduled for the next global apocalypse?

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Should be another 4000 years.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Just a note - it's supposed to happen on the winter solstice, which is at 11:12 UTC. So we're not out of the clear yet :|

As for the next 'apocalypse' I heard something about some people thinking it will be the 23rd instead of the 21st. After that I don't think the next one is until 2017/2018.

But the actual end of the world - as in the Earth being completely destroyed - will be in about five to seven billion years, since by that time the sun will have grown large enough to engulf the Earth. Then somewhere in the ballpark of about 15 billion years the Big Rip might occur - during which individual atoms will be ripped apart. But there's also the Big Freeze theory, where the ever expanding universe will reach absolute zero in about 10 to the 1000th years and the universe will become a cold, motionless abyss.

But we'll likely be dead before any of those things happen, so woooo.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Absolutely nothing will/is going to happen. We'll just keep changing dates until it doesn't happen three times in a row. See the rapture predicted by Harold Camping in 1994, and May 2011, and when that didn't happen, he proceeded to change the date to October 2011.

That also didn't happen.
    Y2K didn't happen, none of the predicted dates before happened, the rapture didn't happen, aliens didn't happen, this won't happen.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Reminder: Jesus literally tells his followers that they were living in the End Times. Christian doctrine has been calling for the end of the world "in our life times" for literally as long as it has existed.

And that's not even touching other religions, fringe groups, and doomsayers.

It's all been said and done.

Last edited by Kodos; 12-21-2012 at 05:12 AM.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Only just a little over three hours to go before the 21st is over for me. However, I don't think the Mayans really took into account international time differences, so...maybe tomorrow?
    よろしく

From BBC news: The 2012 phenomenon is essentially an accounting problem; a misinterpretation of some very ancient book keeping.

It is based on the Maya calendar, which counts the days since a date in the mythical past. This count reset after the last creation (on or about 11 August, 3114BC). On 21 December, we will reach that same number of days once again, and many now are concerned that a calendrical reset the following day will mean the end of the world.

But it is not even clear that the Maya themselves agreed on this book-keeping issue. Two ancient inscriptions emphasise the importance of the date. But a third focuses on 13 October 4772, the end of an even bigger cycle that cannot happen if a reset occurs in 2012.

This more detailed text predicts that, at an even later date, the great king K'inich Janaab' Pakal will return to Palenque to rule. If this Maya prophesy is true, then the world will not end in 2012 or even 4772, no matter how the ancient calendar functioned.

So they didn't even predict the end of the world.. I don't get why all these people get so obsessed, like someone said earlier, even if it is going to end, what exactly are you going to do about it? Seeing as people are able to make up these predictions with no substance, I now make my own prediction - the world will end 16th March 2014, as that is when I will no longer be a teenager!!

I found the real reason for the world not ending

This morning...I got my ass up out of bed, scratched it, took a shower, practiced tai chi & headed off to work. Just like normal. What a gip man! I was hoping I'd get a day off on account of the end of the world...

Wtf theres something in the water