Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Apparently, THE END IS NEAR!

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.

On Doomsday!
    "Ever since the womb 'til I'm back where my brother went"
    That's what my tomb will say

Right above my government, Doom will lay
    Either unmarked or engraved, hey, who's to say?
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    I love it. The people who buy into this crap aren't practicing members of the Mayan culture or religion. So, assuming for the sake of argument that the Mayan calendar actually prophesies the end of the world this year, the Mayans were, in the eyes of believers, wrong in just about everything they held to be true about matters of culture, religion, cosmology, and the fundamental nature of time and the universe, but when it came to predicting the end of the world, they got that part right.

They got every single piece of the equation wrong, but somehow produced the right answer. That's pretty fucking impressive.
    I would love to see your reaction if the world was to end on December 21st :P

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post

On Doomsday!
    "Ever since the womb 'til I'm back where my brother went"
    That's what my tomb will say

Right above my government, Doom will lay
    Either unmarked or engraved, hey, who's to say?
    Now that's just funny stuff right there....

As far as the Mayan calendar slating 12.21.12 (that's tomorrow true believers)... believe it when I see it. I remember fools running around in a panic back in '99...buy supplies...arming themselves with arsenals that Frank Castle would envy...shit was hilarious.

But the Mayan calendar is supposed to be way more accurate measurement of time that the Roman calendar we use today (according to that thing...we haven't a clue of what time it really is...). I mean, but even if it is true...what can we honestly do about it anyway? If it's gonna happen it's (whatever it's supposed to be) happen & there aint diddly anybody can do about it.

Unless there name's Galactus.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Modern Maya (they did NOT die out; the people are very much alive in North America) don't buy into it. Some actually suggest that the end of the calendar is not the end of the world; rather, it is an end to people-centered culture and a beginning of holistic, environmentally-conscious thought.

Of course, not everyone in the Maya culture believes that, but a few do. Either way, an overwhelming majority don't think the world is ending. Besides, I'm in Thailand right now, so I'll give an early heads-up for oncoming disaster for those in earlier time zones. XD

Hm maybe I shouldn't activate my stargate

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    I love it. The people who buy into this crap aren't practicing members of the Mayan culture or religion. So, assuming for the sake of argument that the Mayan calendar actually prophesies the end of the world this year, the Mayans were, in the eyes of believers, wrong in just about everything they held to be true about matters of culture, religion, cosmology, and the fundamental nature of time and the universe, but when it came to predicting the end of the world, they got that part right.

They got every single piece of the equation wrong, but somehow produced the right answer. That's pretty fucking impressive.
    To be honest, they never predicted the end of the world, they just didn't make more bactum on the calendar, probably because of their cyclical time belief (if you say the calendar is reseted every 1000 years, doesn't mean that every 1000 years the end of the world is going to come, it just mean the calendar is reseted, and so you don't need to be making a calendar for every new reset). Its like if we just printed calendars till 2013, and so we all start believing that ones 2013 is over there will be no more years because we didn't made more calendars. And the representations on the final day of the Maya calendar are just interpretations, which can be just symbolic and religious, so it hold no weight on anything that can happen, specially because the people who tried to read these images are not anyway related to the Maya culture nor understand them. At the end of the day, this is just a problem where the Mayas never said "hey the end of the world is near", but rather that we pick their stuff and place our own meaning to it, so is not the Mayas fault, is our, for being stupid... well, its the fault of people who tried to read those codex in their way and being stupid, and then spreading their stupidity.

Anyway, is still hilarious, I just wish to know more people who realy believe in this, just to laugh a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    Modern Maya (they did NOT die out; the people are very much alive in North America) don't buy into it. Some actually suggest that the end of the calendar is not the end of the world; rather, it is an end to people-centered culture and a beginning of holistic, environmentally-conscious thought.

Of course, not everyone in the Maya culture believes that, but a few do. Either way, an overwhelming majority don't think the world is ending. Besides, I'm in Thailand right now, so I'll give an early heads-up for oncoming disaster for those in earlier time zones. XD
    I think that vision (more holistic and environmental) comes a little with the hand that most Maya quiche that are still alive are part of the Zapatist movement, which has work mostly to fight military forces, the destruction of the forest and the environment (for the maya part of the movement). Its not about "what the mayas of that time said" but rather about the projections of the actual mayas of today over the traditions.

Also, are you going to watch some Muay Thai fight and bet on it?
    Last edited by ClockHand; 12-20-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    I know the Maya never predicted the world. That's why I said 'assuming they did for the sake of argument'.

As an aside; Seefs, I left you a message on your FB wall you never responded How is Thailand?

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

oh oh oh ic.

While we're on the subject, what all this about a galactic event happening tomorrow as well? I heard something about a whole lot of planets & what not coming into some kind of alignment that only occurs like every 1000 yrs? Someone enlighten me...

Also...

WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THESE FUCKING SKULLS?!

I mean, they've been found all over the world in different cultures. I only bring this up because one was supposed be found in some Aztec or Myan ruins. I don't know much about them, but I do know that back in the mid to late 50's, somebody ran some old school fiber optic lights through one & it seemed to have little 'rivulets' running through it that kind of mimicked the neurological pathways of the human brain, there was the potential to store data & some more shit.

I think they've discovered like 25 of them all over the world.

those are mine I wish they would give them back