Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oblivion

Oblivion

So I'm playing Oblivion. Is pretty adictive, but until now the style doesn't charm my so far.

Like took me hours to make a hot character (female) to play, and after that all the desitions were heavy and important (class, attributes, etc). And the mechanic is cool (is not amazing, because I actually hate how you play spells in the game), but the style, the art and the world, I can't like all these things, like everyone is mixed, there are no social relevance between races and everything looks weird (the plains look like glowing and the characters are ugly).

I'm playing the Xbox 360 version.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    TES used to have amazing writing, story, and art direction. I think TES may well have been the most interesting and creative fantasy setting ever depicted in a video game. The amount of lore and stuff around Morrowind and Daggerfall is simply amazing and awesome.

And then Oblivion came out and ruined it forever.
    Fuck Oblivion, and fuck Skyrim (Moar like The Elder's Balls 69: Anal-Rim, amirite?)

EDIT:
    http://freelanceastronauts.com/games.php?id=3
    You can skip ahead to episode 7, but from that point on don't skip a single episode. The saga of Dongs "REO" Speedwagon is the greatest epic of our time.
    Last edited by Kodos; 01-25-2011 at 01:00 AM.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

I will still buy Anal-Rim, I do not care how shitty it is.

i love oblivion ._. not as much as i did morrowind but its still a great game :/ ive completed it ssooooooo many times ._. but yeah if you havnt played it get morrowind i pretty much spent my childhood on that game and you can get the GOTY edition on steam for £12.99

Oblivion is not a great game, even ignoring the amazing things that came before it. At best it is an okay game. The quests - with the exception of the Dark Brotherhood questline and some parts of the Thieves' Guild - are banal and boring. The set pieces are uninspired and repetitive. The combat is not nearly enough to carry an RPG when the plot and writing is so sub-par, and worst of all the levelling system is broken in such a way that, at best, it will rob you of any sense of achievement and, at worst, will completely ruin any possible fun.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

i didnt mind the leveling system that much, you picked the skills you would use most and only leveled by using those skills, they just used the same one as morrowind but just made it harder to leve up insanely fast, you cant use money to level by training skills as the limit is 5 skills per level and the cost of training was very high, you cant level by taking a random misc/minor skill you were never intending to use and just constantly using it until you leveled up like you could in morrowind, in morrowind if you wanted to level fast you would just get a lot of money which wasnt very hard, i mean they left a key to a greater houses vault in someones clothes drawer and made it so you didnt get in trouble for taking it, you then spent all that money training skills.

Morrowind did not wind up with Bandits in Daedric Armor. There was leveled loot and enemies in Morrowind, but not nearly to the degree of Oblivion. There's never any sense of accomplishment in Oblivion because the enemies scale with you at all times, items too. So you never seem to be more powerful because most actions take the same amount of time at level 1 as at level 30.

not all the enemies level with you, the bandits only level in the sense of their armor and weapons, the monsters changed, rats became wolves, wolves became timber wolves timber wolves became mountain lion, daedra leveled up really well, the bandits leveling up their armor i think is a good thing, it would be so stupid if once you reached a high level you killed things in one hit, the armor and weapons also gives you money which is a lot harder to come by in oblivion than in morrowind, and their is a lot more achievment in killing a daedroth and spider daedra than you do a tiny scamp runt. By high levels you should be killing things a lot easier because you get better weapons, not just in the sense of getting daecric weapons but you can enchant weapons and armor e.g enchant your amor to give you a lot more strength or as a mage you can have more magicka, absorb magicka anything. The only monsters that really pose a threat to you at really high level are goblins because they actually do level with you.

I believe Liches and some Daedra (Xivilaiu) level too, no?

I've been playing the Nehrim mod for Oblivion - it fixes several things that were wrong with Oblivion...namely, the leveling thing. Monsters have fixed levels, which, though it means that I spent a lot of time playing the 'You can't drink any more potions right now' game with Mr. Giant Motherfucking Bear and friends, also means that I can go back to noob-land and rofl-stomp things.

Nehrim's story isn't too bad either - there aren't any stupid-ass portals you have to go into, anyway, and it takes you to a whole lot of different locations (at one point I ended up in the dwarven afterlife - apparently not too hard to get to?). I'm not really sure about the dialogue, since it's all in German (with subtitles). Many things about the game remind me of Morrowind, actually.

It also adds more crafting skills, has its own leveling system, and some other stuff - if you wanted to like Oblivion, but got bored quickly, I'd definitely recommend it.