Thread: Critique Leyo's Art

Double Digits Member Leonardoby's Avatar

Critique Leyo's Art

Konnichiwa minna-san! I've been drawing for a while now and i want someone to critique my works, all comments are very much appreciated

Please be gentle

my first chibi

bored in math class, trolololol

somethings wrong with the anatomy, can someone point it out to me.

credits to http://telly0050.deviantart.com/2009 for the reference btw im a big fan of MHFU

Hey there! Cute pictures. I don't have a lot of time, but here are a few things I notice right away:

First Picture: The feet are at pretty odd angles and it looks as if the legs are different lengths. According to the length of the body, the arms are much too long. The eyes are lop-sided. The shading of the hair (particularly the curls) don't make sense; the insides of the curls should be darker than the outside.

Second Picture: The eyes are different shapes. The top of the head doesn't look quite right, but the camera cuts it off. Her bangs are blown to the right, but the hair in the back is hanging straight down.

Third Picture: Her waist should curve smoother, not be pointed angles. The side breast line goes to far into her shoulder.

Fourth Picture: The head isn't connected to the neck quite right (it's too far to the left). The arm on the left is a bit too short.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    Yo. Welcome or welcome back!

#1- waist down is weird for chibi... weird probably for anything else too.
    #2- This is quite impressive. Try not to restrict yourself to the same head shape---experiment a little to achieve individualness. (i.e., all your heads have the same shape)
    #3-I had three things that bugged me. Firstly, her waist is way too balloony. She should be wide at the waist, but not necessarily the torso. Also, the right leg attatches quite strangely to her hip there. You might want to check that. Secondly, her right arm, it's too small and doesn't connect right. Nice job with the perspective, but it needs some work. Thirdly, the head doesn't connect to the neck at the right angle.
    #4-Well, there's a lot wrong with this, but it's all nit-picky stuff. Try to improve by seeing the figure as a whole, not just "the hand here, the leg here, etc."

Hope that helps, keep it up!

P.s., you should seriously consider getting a scanner
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

I like how you draw! Your characters do have a lot of life to them!

The main thing I see with the anatomy of the bikini chick is that there is not room for her rib cage. You are doing well so far! But it would probably help you a lot to study a bit of the skeletal structure so you can build up from the base Her torso is also a little bit long, in my opinion, and as Mr. Rebel says, from the hips out it get a little too big. I think if you made her top part a little wider (for the ribs) that would help alleviate this issue.

With the bottom chick I LOVE the detail you give. You've put a lot of thought into her design, and that shows! One thing to consider is her balance: the way she's standing. I think holding that big weapon, and standing with your knees bent would throw you off balance--and even without her weapon, I think this is kind of an awkward way to stand and would not hold one up. It's a neat idea, and people can stand with knees bent a bit, but I think her legs are too wide, and there's not a enough "grounding" so to speak. But she looks awesome just the same!

Cool work :3 Hope to see more.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Quote Originally Posted by JJJorgie View Post
    Hey there! Cute pictures. I don't have a lot of time, but here are a few things I notice right away:

First Picture: The feet are at pretty odd angles and it looks as if the legs are different lengths. According to the length of the body, the arms are much too long. The eyes are lop-sided. The shading of the hair (particularly the curls) don't make sense; the insides of the curls should be darker than the outside.

Second Picture: The eyes are different shapes. The top of the head doesn't look quite right, but the camera cuts it off. Her bangs are blown to the right, but the hair in the back is hanging straight down.

Third Picture: Her waist should curve smoother, not be pointed angles. The side breast line goes to far into her shoulder.

Fourth Picture: The head isn't connected to the neck quite right (it's too far to the left). The arm on the left is a bit too short.
    Quote Originally Posted by theAnimeRebel View Post
    Yo. Welcome or welcome back!

#1- waist down is weird for chibi... weird probably for anything else too.
    #2- This is quite impressive. Try not to restrict yourself to the same head shape---experiment a little to achieve individualness. (i.e., all your heads have the same shape)
    #3-I had three things that bugged me. Firstly, her waist is way too balloony. She should be wide at the waist, but not necessarily the torso. Also, the right leg attatches quite strangely to her hip there. You might want to check that. Secondly, her right arm, it's too small and doesn't connect right. Nice job with the perspective, but it needs some work. Thirdly, the head doesn't connect to the neck at the right angle.
    #4-Well, there's a lot wrong with this, but it's all nit-picky stuff. Try to improve by seeing the figure as a whole, not just "the hand here, the leg here, etc."

Hope that helps, keep it up!

P.s., you should seriously consider getting a scanner
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Dragon View Post
    I like how you draw! Your characters do have a lot of life to them!

The main thing I see with the anatomy of the bikini chick is that there is not room for her rib cage. You are doing well so far! But it would probably help you a lot to study a bit of the skeletal structure so you can build up from the base Her torso is also a little bit long, in my opinion, and as Mr. Rebel says, from the hips out it get a little too big. I think if you made her top part a little wider (for the ribs) that would help alleviate this issue.

With the bottom chick I LOVE the detail you give. You've put a lot of thought into her design, and that shows! One thing to consider is her balance: the way she's standing. I think holding that big weapon, and standing with your knees bent would throw you off balance--and even without her weapon, I think this is kind of an awkward way to stand and would not hold one up. It's a neat idea, and people can stand with knees bent a bit, but I think her legs are too wide, and there's not a enough "grounding" so to speak. But she looks awesome just the same!

Cool work :3 Hope to see more.
    Thanks for all the critiques, i really appreciate it! Fixed picture nos. 1 2 & 3 but the details in picture no. 4 is .... you know what i mean, i can't murder my love ones

For No 3;

Whenever in doubt consult a real life reference, I've found two images that will help you with the lower torso and her legs and an other reference for her upper body and arm, what blue dragon mentions about the rib age is correct, take a look through these pictures and try to identify the certain features of the anatomy and try to understand why they occur so you can apply in future drawings;

For the Legs, lower torso and bikini bottom;

For the arm, upper torso and bikini top;

A better reference for the arm;

What I noticed with the bikini drawing is that the body is very bulgy if you look at the refs you shall see what to do to fix that, the arm held beside her head has an odd shape to it and again the red should help you, the legs are getting close to we're they need to be but I suggest adding some more thickness to them.

However, the last problem and probably the one needing the most attention is the fact that she is positioned in a straight forward pose looking straight at us, however the way her boobs are attached are in a 3/4 or turned position, the boobs need fixing and the right side of her upper torso needs to be brought in slightly, look at the references and this will be an easy fix
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 12-19-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    The kombucha mushroom people, sitting around all day.

@Demonfyre WOW thank you very much! Really thanks!!

For the bikini girl I think she'd look much better if you lowered her breast and belly button a bit, and made her left arm a bit longer. Then she'll be okay. As for her ballony waist, I think you don't need to worry about it, because I first thought she had some fat around there from the way you drew it.

Update!!!

took about 7 hours to paint

yet its not finished

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a rough draft i created,then i realized damn! my anatomy is shit compared to others!

[/SIZE][/FONT]