Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So this exists...

999 Knights Member indescribable's Avatar
    Don't forget the part where they went around breaking their legs too. Ugh, some of the things people can come up with. Check out the latest Criminal Minds episode if you ever want a reminder.

And yeah, Linz, the crucifixion story is commonly thought to be one of the most emotional stories in the Bible. It's a shame that more people don't realize that you don't have to be religious to appreciate many of the biblical narratives. People tend to get caught up in the arguments, I guess.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    The Crucifixion story is terrible from a secular standpoint as well, though. Talking purely from a literary standpoint here, Jesus' whole story is leading up to this big heroic sacrifice except, you know, it's not. Even ignoring the fact that as an omnipotent being Jesus is literally incapable of sacrifice, he gets better. He stops being dead! He doesn't even spend a full week before he's back up and all better. Christ's resurrection completely destroys whatever weight and gravitas his 'sacrifice' had.

There's a reason most writing guides mention that when you have a heroic sacrifice, or any character death, you shouldn't bring them back. It cheapens their death and makes meaningless. The story of Christ would work far, far, far, better if he stayed dead.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

999 Knights Member indescribable's Avatar
    I'm not trying to say that the crucifixion story, or any of the other biblical stories, would have great literary merit. I said that the crucifixion story is commonly thought to be one of the most emotional stories in the Bible. Stop. I also said that biblical stories have the potential to be appreciated by others. A possible, well-known example: Prince of Egypt.

I admit that putting those two sentences within the same paragraph could have implied I was talking about this one story specifically. I wasn't. My bad. However, that being said, someone obviously did appreciate this story regardless of its flaws, or this thread wouldn't exist.
    Last edited by indescribable; 12-09-2012 at 06:07 AM. Reason: oops

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    The Moses story actually is a lot more solidly constructed than the Christ one. The tension and conflict there is interesting and while the Bible ignores the most interesting aspect of the conflict (the fact Pharaoh and Moses were brothers) it doesn't sabotage the central themes or ideas of the story the way Christ's resurrection sabotages the heroic sacrifice.

I've never seen Prince of Egypt, mind, but I always mean to. Just sort of keep forgetting to.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

You cried at that? I mean im sorry(i dont wanna belittle anyones personal experience with any kind of media, specifically it struck them enough for them to let the tears flow) but if that made cry for the ...emotion it had in them.... well you did say you didnt watch a lot of anime o i kinda get it...but i belive there is waaaay more emotional and scary stuff in the anime/comic/movie genre then that.
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

It always bother me that Moses killed the son of his "stepbrother" just because God told him he must do it to free his people. Well Moses story has plenty of terrible things, like most of the old testament... and the new one. Shit, now I remember that most stories on the bible are just terrible, and they used to gave me nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by indescribable View Post
    I'm not trying to say that the crucifixion story, or any of the other biblical stories, would have great literary merit. I said that the crucifixion story is commonly thought to be one of the most emotional stories in the Bible. Stop. I also said that biblical stories have the potential to be appreciated by others. A possible, well-known example: Prince of Egypt.

I admit that putting those two sentences within the same paragraph could have implied I was talking about this one story specifically. I wasn't. My bad. However, that being said, someone obviously did appreciate this story regardless of its flaws, or this thread wouldn't exist.
    I feckin LOVE the Prince of Egypt. The music, the art, it's just so awesome. It's also a huge part of my childhood since me and my dad watched it all the time and sang along like fools, haha.

Gedeon, every one of us has different emotional triggers. I know there are worse anime's than this in terms of gore and horror, and yeah i've seen a few of the gorey ones. What upset me is not the anime itself, but the fact that this form of torture existed/exists and how humans can do such horrible things to one another. You say you don't want to belittle anyone's experiences with any media, but your statement definitely tells another story. I'm not emotionally disturbed by it, I was absorbed in the story and I applaud the creators of this anime because in a space of 10 minutes, they grasped you and pulled at your emotional strings. THAT is why I love it. It could've been anime, live action, comic, etc. It was the fact that it was so well done./rant.

Have you ever seen a passion play?

I don't think I have. Although the term reminds me of...other things.

Okay well that's basically what this is minus the trial and stuff. Maybe you'd like them.