Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ironstroms Help me Loads Thread's

Ironstroms Help me Loads Thread's

Currently this is mostly a direct copy over from what I wrote in my introduction thread with advise from Rio to do so, I guess it makes it abit easier since I wasn't entirely sure what to throw down here. I'm relatively confident that I can do certain things, but I'm not super fluid, I'm struggling with arms.elbows, palms/hands not fingers, maybe thigh area' ( oh stuff it most full body stuff) I'm slowly improving but I'm not sure how effectively I can just look at a tutorial and apply it. To the many different angles I attempt on the ocansion. I'm pretty bad at drawing characters that are looking away from you, or have their back to you.(lack of experience)

These two links are months apart but I really did like nouthing inbetween the dates.
    This one had a base sketch and I tried to do a lineart over it/neaten the idea (suffering anatomy problems that I couldn't physical correct with my knowledge)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Sd1Ll-J2s
    This one was done more recently just for fun one night its not perfect, and I had a few issues, I know I don't draw with any of those stick/guides people use and I probably should but I do struggle to make them demonstrate the correct pose's I try to do.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwhdQZRidao

Above 2 recent sketch's
    Below Last Gift Art I Drew

I Had a idea to draw something in the past 24 hours, a character was hiding in a bush face palming another character who was attempting to trim the hedge it was a parody joke of something else. but I couldn't draw the character being face palmed cause it was in the opposite direction of what I'm used to. I didn't know where to start and fell asleep.
    A few anatomy things rubbed off on me quickly from looking at a few guides mainly to do with where to enlarge arms and legs at certain points, but I couldn't use it effectively at all angles.

Also my characters are 95% of the time orgionals but often come out looking differently inbetween each picture I have a few tell tale methods, but sometimes they appear distinctively different. Like I can make the same character have 10 different look's. More by mistake then intention.

Edit: Just did this an hour ago in reference to something earlier, I drew orange around questionable areas i know about and some orange lines represent questions or correction lines. But otherwise the entire other character looking away i have no idea how to draw any contour of the body from behind.
    Last edited by Ironstrom; 12-06-2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Update

You've got some very interesting characters. I like how you add a lot of variation to them, and have different types of clothing.

I'm just going to suggest a few things for the colored give art. I think her clothing would look a lot more 3D if you added some folds and had her skirt flair out a bit more. Find some other images with dresses and see if you can mimic the flow of the fabric, then change it for your own image. Also, her left hand, our left, is not defined very well, and I think a little misshapen (sorry I couldn't find a more tactful way of putting that.) It would also be helpful to study the anatomy of a hand, and understand how the parts work underneath so you can make them look more realistic. I have trouble with hands, too--I'm still not all that great, and need practice myself

Her body seems a little long, the torso area. I would point out the belly button...but if she's an angel, I'm assuming you left that out on purpose?

I love the green and black/yellow and black color combo on her dress. I also really like the design of it--it just needs a few more details, and I think it'll look even better :3
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Thanks for the say so, I guess I've really skipped in adding the folds of the clothing to the colouring process,I know the hand(s) were abit off, but I couldn't fix it at the time. I suppose I really do need to do a hand study, but I'm not sure what's the best way to go about doing that, wherever its just looking at some and practising a few hand sketch's. Even when knowing something is wrong sometimes I struggle to find the solution to fix it. But just being on this forum has kinda helped me, Considering I've suddenly put in more time then I usually do.

By studying them and drawing them, you'll get better and better :3 Here's some examples you may want to challenge yourself with:

If you make this vertical, that may look a little like what you were aiming for? (I can't speak on your behalf, that's just the impression I got )

Here are some studies (but looking up Leonardo's hands and how he did them is very helpful--they have expression in and of themselves.)

Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    Ditto^^^

Also, I'm not sure about this or not, but it seems to me like you're not using any sort of "skeleton" before drawing you figures. Meaning, you draw the head... then the shoulders... then the chest... (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Point is, you need to concentrate on the figure as a whole. Details (such as hands and thighs) will come later. Concentrate on proportions and poses in your skeletals before you add in all the details.
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

Building on what Rebel has said above, im going to not suggest using a strict skeletal figure, instead I think you should try working on gestures.

Theoretically this can be done in a multitude of different ways, skeletal, defining forms etc, below i've linked a video and a manual that if you read/ watch should help you get to grips and start working on this area. Again to make reference to Rebel's post, don't feel like you have to make a skeletal drawing, develop your own method of doing it, but the main task in this isn't to be neat, it's to convey they energy of the pose whilst remaining accurate with your proportions.

Practicing this will help improve the flow of the poses, and generally how you construct them. It's worth the time invested.

Vilppu's Drawing Manual

Here is also a tool you can use to practice this; here.

Thanks Its true i don't use skeletal figures or I didn't start of learning that way. The last time I did so was in realism art years ago at school. As of the time of this posting I'm looking into the figure video, I've seen other figure sketch video's out there but there wasn't really anywhere to start from. Maybe this tutorial will help I'l be back with results after I've looked into this somewhat. I'l take rebels word that I should focus on figure first. To blue that was a similar hand pose but I guess I really wanted a grasping the waste loosely with fingers expression. I'l get back to that idea some other time.

*edit after this post I went away and spend 2 hours on using a base figure sketch. read abit on that tutorial didn't get the whole way through but started taking bits in. Did a quick sketch over one for for fun during the process,

*edit* I did some additional reading around and thinking, then this morning I spend just over 2 hours doing this. Normally I would of produced a loose something similar in about 30 minutes but I spent more time trying to think about the flow and angles of things. Although this isn't finished and I'm not entirely happy with it it feels abit more complete then I'm usually capable of.
    Last edited by Ironstrom; 12-08-2012 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Update

This last one you put up looks much better that the previous drawings you have uploaded. It has more form and feels more solid, spending time and effort pays off. Don't be afraid to use more construction forms and lines though, It really helps to have some kind of frame to attach things to. I watched one of your videos, and I think it was really helpful to watch you draw in order to give you constructive critique. So I don't know if you have started using more construction when you draw yet, but you really should. In the video you pretty much just draw the lines that are going to be there in the finished drawing, but the way most people do it is that they draw in passes, starting with the most basic forms and then adding more minor forms and details in the consecutive passes. For example, if you want to draw a head you should begin by drawing out a sphere or an ovoid form, then you'll probably mark out the positions of the facial features, attach the forms on the large form and so on. In the end you can erase this frame if you want.

Working in passes have a few more advantages as well, the best being that you can alter the image as a whole before investing a lot of time in it. Things don't always look as good as you thought they would when you see the sketch, and then you'll be glad you didn't invest hours in drawing it directly.

But yeah, I can tell that you've already begun to focus more when you draw, and that you actively try to get better and that's great =D Continue trying hard and draw as much as you can and you will probably see massive improvement!

I've added a form of "construction" in the form of sillohette's for now I'l adapt more at some point as I learn. In this recent picture I rubbed the lines I used to shape the body out after I drew more of the clothes over the top. When I drew that latter picture when I look at it I feel that the hips/waist are wrong or that the shoulders are to wide. I'm not really sure thou. I had a little trouble balancing the eyes from that angle. When I'm practising should I dedicate allot of time to one piece or move from piece to piece ? I guess this is abit of an open ended question.
    But when I was drawing certain parts of the body my memory went back to things I had seen or read recently, about proportions or joints and things like that.
    I'd like to come back to this image in the future and try and capture what I was trying to do better. With the focal point of the Drawing being off.
    Expect A Edit in Update within the next 16 hours.

Edit1: Read Rebel's Comment I Get the line Confidence thing. I think but I also think that's to do with me hesitating about certain aspects during the drawing and maybe fixing those in small bits.
    have I made the neck masculine via adding the additional lines or the width?. I'l try to sort it next time.
    *runs of to sleep* ( will do art when I wake )
    Last edited by Ironstrom; 12-08-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Update

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    hmm yes, the hips are too wide and the shoulders very broad for a girl... her neck is also very masculine. (Unless this is one of your androgenous type characters...?)

Anyways, looks great, feels "correct" but I think it still lacks a little life... be more confident with your lines
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)