Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RafaelYuji's artworks

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    I wasn't arguing against practicing... don't go out an ink your best work with a new pen! Definitely start small... like I said, practice.

I used Faber-Castle as my first pens, however, considering this dude's in Japan it will probably be easier for him to find Japanese brands.
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

And it doesn't matter what type of pen you use as long as you can achieve the desired results.
    AGREED! THATS WHAT IM SAYING!

For our purposesess here G-Nib, Sakura and Speedball would go a long ways in acheiveing desired effect.
    See that is the problem, there was no particular desired effect specified! All that was mentioned was inking, which in the end only requires a pen.

As far a digital... screw that. Artists should learn manually before using a computer.
    Obviously, but you would need to be a fool to deny that you can replicate such effects digitally! To be honest, it's probably better to use that medium anyway, cheaper and less costly if you mess up (Thank you ctrl+z). It's as simple as scanning in and linearting. Obviously that is matter of opinion though, but I know I would rather have the all in one tool (i.e. Photoshop).

@RafaelYuji - I must apologise for the unnecessary spamming of your thread over such a simple matter, sorry
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 12-04-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Good point though... what is your goal as an artist Rafael? If you're going for professional than we're here to help. Amatuer is great too.

-----
    @Demon- yes, sorry for spamming the thread. While a computer can replicate the effects of inking--- it cannot replace. (And it's not better... *fumes*) I personally think you get a lot more life and personality using manual inking than a computer. I'm all for free form though. (Go traditional artists!)

okay people tell you a lot of things here and there...
    but i think the important thing is to just keep drawing everyday with your favorite tool
    Just do it everyday even though you feel atrophy towards it.

I have only been here in mt for about 2 months now but i have already learned a lot.
    Draw everyday for 2 months and post them here... Take notes. study the points which you feel mattered and apply on drawing.
    Don't give up. And most important is to love it every time you do it. 2 months of everyday will get you far. I assure you that.
    If not you are free to hit me on the face lol.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

One other thing I don't think anyone mentioned--if you happen to have a light box...or a glass table you can put a light under (I have one,) and you don't want to mess the original up, what I always do is put the original under the manga paper (or whatever you use) and trace with the ink. That way, I never mess up my original, since I'm very shaking with pen and ink :3

Hope this is helpful, and hope to see some more fantastic artwork soon!
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I like your style. It's very cute, and pleasing to the eye. I feel like there's a little conflict between the head and the body. The neck and the spine of the body don't exactly match up, and that's resulting in some visual tension for me.

As for inking, I found black Faber-Castell brush pens were great for doing the job. Other than that, 08, 05, 03, 01, and 005 Micron pens were good, if you wanted more linear control.

Well, today i was too addicted playing league of legends with my friends, so the only thing that i could do is to ink the drawing (it's took almost 2h, and i used gpen,tamapen,etc...), yes i'm aware that i don't put shadows, i do it later, also i will copy this drawing to colour it, heres the drawing

Also thanks everyone for the tips and for supporting, i will practice drawing hands as well, but it will take some time xD, also i today i was messing with screentone (digital), but i coudn't achieve a desired look, i need more practice with that, since it's was my first time using one. (my english is very limited so i'm sorry if you can't understand).
    @theAnimeRebel: Yes i want to be on a drawing related job, most likely mangaka like almost everyone who draw manga ^^

Hmm, I would say now the problem is that you've gone and removed all the folds in the sleeves and now they kinda look like they are cardboard rather than a fabric and it also looks like it doesn't really obey gravity.

I think this link will help you a bit with the sleeves; http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...avity#/d3r7gzh

At the bottom there are a few sketches of samurai with similar clothing, look at how Moni has drawn it, the decisions she has made to reach that and use the notes she made to help understand why

Don't be worried about the shadows... many mangaka don't use ink for any shadows, they use tones instead.
    So as long as you are happy with your style of shading, I think it looks great.

I like what you've done! One thing that's bugging me are the arrows...and the dots around the top of the quiver. I don't know if they're supposed to be 3D or not, but they do look a bit flat. Even if they're not meant to be 3D, I think they're a bit uneven. The feathers on the arrow also seem a bit small and not very...usable? Sorry to sound confusing. Also, sorry if I sound rude, I'm not trying to!

Here's a couple example of some Asian style arrows I found (cause, they're obviously gonna be different than Native American arrows :3)

I personally like the hair and face a lot! And I think you did better with the ink than maybe you were worried you would do
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique