Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Critique Promises' art. (6 Images)

Watch the movie
    ''how to train your dragon'' .
    That movie got some similar creatures.
    Dunno how to critic your arts coz i never did these
    may be hmm.... That last picture , i think its body make it a bit large. Oh hell am down with creatures

7 8 9 Member
    Tomorrow I'll do a study on legs and wings then, probably draw the bones and such to find out how they fit together. In the meantime, here, have a portrait.

While you're at it, here's a link to my deviant art page.

So for this image, I decided to try to "digitally" paint the picture. I must say that I am fairly pleased with the results, much more so then with the pencil sketches.
    Note: While I did draw the line art myself, I -did- copy it from another image.

I like the look of this guy :3 One thing I might try to work on is the neck area: try to make that area in front smoother, while also defining the separation. Here's an example:

I like the scales an all, though you may want to find a way to make them "pop" more. But it looks pretty good!

Also, I can't resist posting this :3

I think I may change my avatar.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

7 8 9 Member
    So I've been doing that leg and wing study. So far, I've only put colour to one wing. I'm not too happy with the forarm, nor the scales, but am fairly happy with everything else. Do you guys see any other problems? After staring at it for a while.. I start to stop seeing the errors I've made. :/

What kind of person asking for critique would I be if I didn't give you a link to my DA page?

Ok, so when you do a study like this you need to focus and do it properly. Be inquisitive and ask yourself questions like "Why does it look like this?", "What are this part used for", "How does this work" or whatever comes to mind. Then try to draw it to your best ability, and in the end apply it to a drawing of your own. Just like in any other subject, art and design related studies can be done in many different ways, but all of them require hard work if you want a good payoff. When I do subject-specific studies like the ones you want to do I usually draw them on paper with markers and ballpoint pen (because then I can always pull them out and have them in front of me when I work on digital stuff). They are full of scribbled notes and questions, arrows and construction lines. I do them for only one reason; to learn as much as I can about the subject.
    I also do studies that are only for improving my drawing abilities. Now a days I just look at photos of a subject from front and side views, and then draw them in 3/4 view without reference. When i started to actively improve my drawing I did one exercise that was simply like this: I took a paper and then started to draw cubes from different angles and perspectives all over the page. I also drew cubes stacked on each other in different ways and formations. Everything can be constructed by using cubes and blocks, all minecraft players can attest, and when you master drawing cubes you have come a long way toward learning to draw anything. Drawing cubes like that was actually pretty fun as well, there are more boring exercises to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Promises View Post
    Rubisko, if you call that messy, I don't want to see neat! It's really nice. Do you mind if I copy it to a sketch to get the feel of the image?
    I don't really mind, but I wouldn't recommend you to. Drawing isn't really about placing lines on a paper, it's about learning to see the forms you are drawing in your mind. If you copy mine, or any other people's drawings. You can maybe learn where to place the lines for that certain object viewed from that certain angle by doing an exercise like that, but what you really want to learn is to draw anything from any angle. The cube exercise I mentioned above should be a much more effective use of your time Nonetheless, I'm flattered that you would even consider studying one of my sketches. Good luck, and have fun drawing!

7 8 9 Member
    Hello again everyone. Sorry for the huge absence.. I've been a bit busy.
    As I told you guys in.. My first post, I think? I've had lots of trouble with hair. So.. I worked on a new image, one which I think is a bit better than my previous ones. It's not really "manga" style, as I'm still having tons of trouble with that. I would still like some critique though, as I know that's not the only style you guys are good at! The main focus here was the hair, but I'd also like comments on the face. Thank you everyone who has helped me so far, by the way.

I realize it's a bit big. I apologize for that.

Very pretty!! I don't have your ref, so I can't critique super well. One thing I notice, is that the forehead just goes straight up. I think it should curve back at the top to shape the head more (if that makes sense).
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!