Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Critique Promises' art. (6 Images)

Hybrid View

7 8 9 Member

Critique Promises' art. (6 Images)

This here is my first attempt at creating something without looking at a tutorial or getting help from others while making it. It was drawn on the group board and is about my.. Fourth, I suppose, drawing in a manga style. Please DO critique, I know the difference between someone being a jerk and someone trying to help by pointing out, and giving advice on how to fix, flaws.

Without further delay, An Aurolite frost sister portrait.

If you have trouble loading, then here's a link for you!
    Last edited by Promises; 03-25-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Hmm...
    If you are using GB(group board)
    probably you used a MOUSE i guess ??
    Anyways
    here i go
    1. Two eyes , they don't look identical
    2. Mouth lacking proper shape .
    3. Colors are flat.
    Probable reasons:-
    1. Lacking experience with using a mouse.
    2. This is not how you usaully draw regularly.
    Advice:-
    1. Post some works especially drawn on a paper using pen, pencil or whatever, because it shows your ORIGINAL experience.
    Waiting for more artworks .
    HAPPY DRAWING

nice i like the colors you used. hehe

i suggest working more on the lineweight... i personally prefer think edgy lines with cell shading hehe gives it style
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

Hi Promises, welcome to the MT boards Like BunnyVoid I like the choice of colour, the orange and the blue are quite subtle one by one but create a nice contrast when put together.
    There is one major problem to solve when drawing a hooded head, and that is to make sure to make the hood large enough. A head takes up a certain volume, or space, and a hood takes up more volume (if it didn't the head wouldn't fit inside). I sketched up a small illustration as I looked at your image to explain what I think could be improved in this regard. I'm sorry it's so messy
    SPOILER! :

Note: I drew in 3/4 view, but you did front view. This was just a personal preference on my part because it was easier to show what I wanted to show from this angle. Also, you now get the chance to figure out how this would apply in front view I hope you found this useful, I wish you good drawing!

7 8 9 Member
    I definately found everything you guys said useful! In all honesty, the only reason I drew a hooded head is because I am compeltely unable to draw hair that is no reason not to improve though! Therefor, I will attempt it again rather soon, with all the advice in mind! Trilokcool3 asked that I put something up where I drew with a pencil. I was going to upload another manga face, but got the itch to draw my favorite mythological creature, the dragon. SO!! I drew v1 of my river dragon, after reading a tutorial. I also coloured it on photoshop, though the tutorial didn't help with that.

It resized it'self after I uploaded it. I'm not too sure how to fix it, but here's the proper size on my deviant art account: http://fav.me/d5n6k6v

Rubisko, if you call that messy, I don't want to see neat! It's really nice. Do you mind if I copy it to a sketch to get the feel of the image?
    Last edited by Promises; 12-04-2012 at 10:35 PM.

It's pretty small, so I really can't critique it, though I can say that as far as I can tell, the wings are really nice. I can tell you're much better with a pencil than a mouse.

If you could upload a bigger picture, that'd be awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

7 8 9 Member
    Done! Check the post above. Heh, I think I added it in while you were posting.

Also, I've done the second and final version of the dragon. Here we are:

And the deviant art link for a bigger picture: http://fav.me/d5n6wpa
    Last edited by Promises; 12-05-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Like I said, the wings are pretty nice

I'm no expert is lizard anatomy, but the shape of the head seems pretty odd. Too rounded with indistinct features. I think the legs (back, especially) seems kind of odd, but I'm not dure how to explain it (sorry). Maybe too "bent piper clean"-ish

The chair looks good
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

7 8 9 Member
    The head was based off of a crocodile's head. Though I suppose the comment still applies :P. As for the legs.. Limbs are.. seriously not my strong point. Those particular legs were based off of a leopard gecko's legs, and so were "supposed" to look slightly like bent pipes.. No, no, seriously.

Anyways! Another dragon-type-thing. This time, my Autumns harvest wyvern! This particular one was NOT made while following a tutorial. I also used four different references. ALOT. One thing that really bugs me is that, even after using guasian blur, my pencil lines are not visible. I wish I knew a way of doing this where the pencil lines didn't exist at all, but the shading was still there.. Oh well.

What would a post by me be without a link to my deviant art page for the same picture?

I think I agree that to improve at these you should be studying different parts of your subject, like you mentioned using lizards as reference however stepping it up into a study rather than just using a reference. You mentioned legs being a weak point? Why not download some pictures of legs and concentrate purely on their form and how they work?

Also if it is possible, next time could you post up the references you used? It will make it easier for people to critique as we can see where you were getting your information from. I must say I think it looks pretty awesome so far I think for the wings are an area that needs some work. You could have a look at some bat wings, and kinda cross combine that when looking at the skeletal structure of a bird wing without its feathers, that should help you make them more convincing

Since both bird and bat wings are derived from one an other in real life genetically, you shouldn't have too many problems with taking parts of each and making the ideal wing :3 also studying other dragon artwork will help a lot, but I personally thinking study from real life and nature is going to be your best bet.