Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: PAPER OR PLASTIC?

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    They should start using rice bags (the bigger ones, not the several oz ones). They're generally made of the sturdier, weaved plastics and it lasts forever.

Re taxes> I don't like the idea of taxes. Next thing you know, they'll be having an air tax so the monies can be used to clean up the smog. :<

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Potato bags. The way to go.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    They should start using rice bags (the bigger ones, not the several oz ones). They're generally made of the sturdier, weaved plastics and it lasts forever.
    Bamboo and hemp weaves are also a heck of a lot sturdier than paper (they can both be made into either fabric or paper bags), and they are less absorbent of water.

SPOILER! :
    We shouldn't have many more commodity taxes, but I think we need to more heavily tax traditional fields like income, et cetera, and reform the federal management thereof—starting with decreased militarization.

idk what its like in the States, but around here you can buy these reusable cloth bags from the grocery stores and you can just put your shopping in them when u buy stuff. They're p strong and you can fit a lotta shit in there so they're p good.

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    We have them as well but most people only have one or two but buy like 8 bags with of stuff. And from a retail point of view they aren't all to convienent because we are taught that you don't put any kind of chemical product I the same bag as a food item even if both are sealed up tight. So if some one brings in one bag and buys a gallon of bleach and say some produce what do I do?
    It would not bother me if I had a self bagging area but I am the one bagging it all so I get blamed if anything happens.
    The sizes aren't that great either and I hear from a lot of customers that its a hassle to remember to bring the bags along with them.

doesnt the grocery store have stickers for products too big to put in the bags? Couldn't they put that on the bottle of bleach and just leave it in the cart?

I love the cloth bags: some places give you them for free. If not, they don't cost much and they're really handy. I personally prefer paper, because even if you reuse your plastic bags, they're gonna wear in time, and then you have to throw them out. Then it takes 500 years for them to biodegrade, that's if any oxygen can get to them. Not that paper is much better, because of destroying carbon sinks and they also can only biodegrade if oxygen can reach them (which doesn't happen much in a land fill,) but I can use them for leaf compost or rip them up and put them in my own compost pile.

I bet those potato bags are pretty cool though.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Isn't it just like that smoking causes death, knowing that even people smoke everyday.
    Vehicles causes pollution, knowing that even people buy personal cars.
    And plastic is in that similar condition now. May be it will just take a hell lot of years to REALIZE ALL THESE .

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    More specifically 'disposable' plastic is the issue. Technically all plastic is disposable, but you won't go throw your 500 dollar phone away like you will a plastic bag. I think the big issues just pop up when toxic stuff becomes highly disposable, or has a negative output. But then again, it is really convenient.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Actually, there were news about a microbe that can "eat" plastic so it's just a matter of when something like that can be used on a large scale so plastics can be recycled so to speak.