Thread: Bringing Freshness to the RTS genre

Hybrid View

Bringing Freshness to the RTS genre

Hi all,
    My name is William Thorley. I've been working on a project for around 4 months now and would like feedback, I realise this is a shameless plug, but I want feedback and comments on this project.

RPS (Rock, Paper, Scissors) RTS (Real Time Strategy) Demo version is out:

The game is simple. It is an RTS.

Why has it been made? Many if not most RTSís are about economy and large numbers of unit types. The genre hasnít actually developed the gameplay drastically from the very first RTSís produced, some lesson have been learned, but the games are really very similar to how they have always been. RPS brings new gameplay to the RTS genre. Through three means:

ē New combat mechanics: RPS has two unique modes (as well as the old favourite) of resolving weapon fire. These change how combat happens, and make application of the correct units vital to success. From this comes the requirement to run Intel on your enemies.
    ē Fixed Resource Economy: Each player has a fixed amount of energy, This means that there is a definite end to the game. You can attrition your enemy and try to outlast them, or try to outspend your opponent and destroy them. There is a limit to how fast ships can be built, through the generation of construction blocks, but energy is the fast limit on economy.
    ē Game Modes: Game modes add victory conditions and new game pieces. The game is overseen by a controller which literally runs the game. Games are no longer line them up, gun them down. This means that new tactics must be played making skirmish games fresh with novel tactics without adding huge amounts of new game units to learn.

Iíve produced RPS from the ground. I will be running a kickstarter in the near future, but right now I want feedback and input from the game developing community. Regarding the concepts, where RPS is going, the game modes, the combat mechanics. How it plays. RPS will give fresh gameplay to the genre so it must be right. It works over the internet or a LAN and supports single player games. Get it. Play it. Tell me about your games.

Thank you

Demo:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51850113/RPS%20Playtest.zip
    Game Setup Tutorial:
    http://youtu.be/uAlqvXWOg3c
    Game Play Tutorial:
    http://youtu.be/Mnrm8qEJXvg

Quote Originally Posted by Thormidable View Post
    Why has it been made? Many if not most RTS’s are about economy and large numbers of unit types. The genre hasn’t actually developed the gameplay drastically from the very first RTS’s produced, some lesson have been learned, but the games are really very similar to how they have always been.

Dunno man, I believe that the RTS genre has evolved a lot, and I would even dare that the whole "tower defense" new genre, is just a new way of RTS.

Downloaded the demo, but it wouldn't work due to a missing OpenAL32.dll file. If this thing is supposed to be compatable with XP systems, you might want to look into that. Pretty sure it isn't my system since it's pretty rare that I have a problem like this beyond perticularly high-end newer games.

Also, even late ninties RTS games like Final Liberation or (arguably) Fallout Tactics have fixed reasource systems, so I'm not so sure that digging that up as an "original" feature is going to win you any fans. Dawn of War II (pictured above) is a modern game which also uses this exact system.

Sorry, can't really make any comments past that since I currently cannot get it to work. But I'm still willing to try if you have any way of rectifying that. It certainly looks fairly decent.

Best of luck anyhow.

I take your points about there being games with a 'Use what you have' mentality, but I don't there there have been very many (Ground Control also comes to mind). There have been games without economy systems, but I would say that in skirmish, both Company of heroes and Dawn of war did have economy systems. It was all about rate of resource production rather than the absolute amounts available.

However that is to ignore game modes (Which Dawn of War has probably been the most progressive). Adding Game modes with entirely different setups or victory conditions to traditional RTS' will make new gameplay. Playing for a score rather than just to destroy the enemy is something that brought new gameplay to the FPS genre. And so RTS will benefit from it as well.

I've put the Audio drivers in the package, so it should run:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51850113/RPSGamePlay.zip

Audio can be turned off in the Settings file UserSettings.txt.