Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: draw(color) rocks/mountains, etc?

7 8 9 Member

draw(color) rocks/mountains, etc?

I have no idea how to make textures like this:

Though I dont use photoshop, but graphical programs are so similar these days i have no problem following a photoshop tutorial with another program, so can you guys please give me tips on how to paint these rocky textures, wether you use Photoshop, paintshop, ms paint, paint.net, gimp, or anything else.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    It's all just a matter of starting with a base color then adding varying degrees of shadows and maybe some highlights here and there. That's all that it boils down to. Use blur to soften the colors from one to another so it's not as sharp like cel-shaded coloring style.

7 8 9 Member
    Well I fail at that.
    lets take the 2nd image for example:

1) base colors:

2) blurs and filters:

(ignore the color 'bleeding' on the edges though)

You did fine except when you got to #2. When I say use the blur tool, I meant the one in the toolbox here (look for the sweatdrop):

Don't use the one that's on the Menu > Filter > Blur. Just uses that tool above and manually blur your lines to get that painted look.

7 8 9 Member
    Well, I used an 'oilify' filter on top to try to mimic that drawn look. Otherwise it looks worse. Thats what i meant by "filter''. I thought theres a common way to get that effect. Im not happy with what I have right now at all. maybe theres some tutorials I missed?

I suggest you use brushes instead of the pencil when drawing something that will have a painted look like those backgrounds. What happens with brushes is that they have blurry edges and aren't as sharp as the one you made. That plus the blur tool will really help with getting the effect you're going for.

Anyways, I'll try and see if I can get something up for you later today (unless someone beats me to it) so you can see what I mean.

7 8 9 Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    I suggest you use brushes instead of the pencil when drawing something that will have a painted look like those backgrounds. What happens with brushes is that they have blurry edges and aren't as sharp as the one you made. That plus the blur tool will really help with getting the effect you're going for.
    Hm, I dont use the pencil here. Maybe its because I use an ordinary mouse and Im not very accurate. Or maybe its caused by the oilify filter.
    Anyways, I'll try and see if I can get something up for you later today (unless someone beats me to it) so you can see what I mean.
    sure, ill wait to see how it can be done better.

Since I'm not really into texture and soft-shading, I can't give you real example, but there are lots of tutorial in DA for things like this.

I think the basic is like this: don't use blur or other instant effects (don't be lazy). Use color picker to pick base color, change the color (make it softer), color using that softer color, smudge. Use color picker to pick that softer color, change it... repeat until you get the desired result.

Okay. Here, I used Blur and Smudge:

It's not like the original but it works. C:

7 8 9 Member
    I like it. I didnt want to copy the image, just learn how to achieve that manga/anime watercolor effect.
    It seems like adding additional shades is a good idea. The only thing i noticed that smudge was maybe used too much, or the pixels were smudged a bit too long. I think the bumps on the rocks were more spherical, and too much smudge just can't keep that.

How about you use the image i posted and your step by step images to make a mini tutorial? I know that theres not much to say other than 'draw base colors, use blur and smudge brush' but im sure there are people out there who wouldnt think of that themselves, I know I didnt.

Anyway, my turn!