Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Christmas Gift Brainstorming!

So whats the difference between a knitted hat and crochet hat? Different ways of weaving the fabric? I've always wondered.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Ooo, I'd love to make amigurumi one day. Mostly, I've been doing stuff from Aranzi Aronzo (Cute Book, Cuter Book, Cute Stuff, Cute Dolls) as they don't require you to know how to crochet. :3

SPOILER! :
    Didn't make this but here's an example from some of their books:

Oh, good idea, Rio. I forgot about things like felt animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    So whats the difference between a knitted hat and crochet hat? Different ways of weaving the fabric? I've always wondered.
    Knitted stuff uses two or more needles at once to make and has a wavy pattern on one side (usually called the wrong side) and a V pattern side (the right side). Knitting is nice because its thinner and neater with a more uniform quality like a sheet of fabric. Knitting also takes a long time unless you use giant sized needles and a thick yarn.

Crochet is done using one needle that is actually a hook. Crochet is made by making and pulling loops through one another. It's faster than knitting but more bulky and more space between the stitches which is not always what you want.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Knitting is monumentally more difficult to me for some reason, because I always drop stitches. OTL

But yeah, Psy's right. Crocheting is faster, which is why I do it for the holidays. You can make tight-weave crochet stuff, but it generally entails using a really small hook, which isn't as necessary with knitting.

Ohhhh okay I see. Thanks for explaining, guys. I used to knit little garments for my plushies when I was younger lmao. My aunt taught me, she's a bionic knitter...she'd sit and watch the tv and knit a huge ass scarf in like an hour. Her hands are all arthritic now :c it's sad.

Regular Member whenrabbitsattack2.0's Avatar
    ^ my mum taught m how to knit but I like sewing better.
    I think I have a picture........

quality's a little crappy but you get the Idea. this was a birthday present I made for a friend. I never measure him properly,but the USB cable in the background pretty much describes his size

she named him Winston the Impaler. she wanted him to resemble a voodoo doll, so I made the stiching a litle messier and differnet sized buttons for eyes.
    I have a slighty larger one wearing a dress with a flower on it on my keychain :3 I made the pattern myself and they're completley customisable, so they work really well as gifts
    Last edited by whenrabbitsattack2.0; 11-30-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    collectin my fav quotes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    I wasn't aware breasts were sentient and capable of independent movement
    Quote Originally Posted by theAnimeRebel View Post
    Sheesh, you people and your superiority issues.

For those who suck at crafting like me, another idea: you could also buy a small pouch and decorate it with chains, flowers, rhinestones, etc. and then put some little gifts in it. For women who like body and face care stuff and everything like that you could put in some Lush (http://www.lush.com/) and TBS (http://www.thebodyshop.com/) samples. For women who like makeup you could buy some christmas makeup like gold nailpolish, glitter, etc. And for children you could put in candy. No men ideas, sorry, I am still looking for something for my dad and male best friends!
    *EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see someone already came up with this idea! (Or well, not exactly similar.. boxes instead of pouches.. anyway, someone already came up with this idea)*
    Last edited by Moonlightx; 12-16-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    I've done pouches and boxes. You can also do a simple glass jar and stuffing it with items. If you want to get fancy, try using apothecary jars. Origami is always good especially if you do the more complex floral globes, modular and polyhedron types.