Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Gift Brainstorming!

Lightbulb Christmas Gift Brainstorming!

Hey guys!

So lets not bury our heads in the sand, shall we? Christmas is coming up fast and if you're like me, gift buying can be either enjoyable, stressful or a mix of the two. I for one am struggling this year as money is tight. I'm warming to the idea of handmade Christmas gifts, but at a low cost.

I thought this thread would be a good idea for us all to post ideas, opinions, tips and tricks or anything else to help each other out in the festive season! Maybe if you see something on a special offer? Post it here! Figured out a way to save money and still get impressive gifts? Post it here! We're an artistic community and this is our forte so lets jump right in!

I'll start.
    I went to a notebook binding class the other day and it is ALOT easier than I imagined. Here's some pics.
    SPOILER! :

So I thought maybe I could make some of these for my friends and family. Bling them up with some rhinestones, stitching, etc? I dunno. Alot of my friends are in uni so I thought if I used lined paper it would help for notes or as a little diary.
    Thoughts?

That's a really quaint idea, the cover looks great, did you design it yourself?
    The kombucha mushroom people, sitting around all day.

Nah the tutor had loaaads of offcuts of fabric. Essentially all it is is some cardboard with fabric stuck on! Really cheap and easy. I really liked the fabric I chose as I thought it kinda looked like a stained glass window? Kinda Art Deco-ish which I really dig <: Thank you demon!

999 Knights Member indescribable's Avatar
    Artistic food jars.

SPOILER! :

Good for people who like baking/fresh baked goods and may or may not have the time to do lots of prep and clean up. Super convenient and the jars look really nice.

These can get a little pricier if you don't already have a lot of the ingredients or you want to go a bit higher-end, though.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Since I'm quite broke myself, I can't really provide jack this Xmas. I may make a painting for my mom if I can get a canvas. I find having something you can hang up on your wall, where all the work is touchable, to be better than what I would usually do digitally.

The big problem is coming up with a subject, and I'm horrible at that.
    I guess another thing I could do is cook a nice breakfast or dinner, at the very least.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Dunno what the art stores are like where you live, but they'll probably be setting up Christmas sales right now. That'll often include canvases -- sometimes at as much as half-off. Also, you could try asking if they have any slightly damaged canvases that they could give you for a discount. Occasionally the "damage" is just a slight discoloration or dent. You never know, you might get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by indescribable View Post
    Artistic food jars.

SPOILER! :

Good for people who like baking/fresh baked goods and may or may not have the time to do lots of prep and clean up. Super convenient and the jars look really nice.

These can get a little pricier if you don't already have a lot of the ingredients or you want to go a bit higher-end, though.
    Wow, Tay! This is an excellent idea, I may actually try this. So like I assume you make the cakes as normal then put in the jar and shove that in the oven...? Or is it more like you make a tray bake cake then break it up and put it in somewhat randomly. I dunno if glass jars are safe in the oven. o_o I love how you could get really creative with the labelling and jar and the little wooden spoon is adorable! Thank you for sharing!

I also had a few other ideas. Save any scrap pieces of fabric, buttons, knick knacks, broken jewellery and butcher it up like I do. I have a huge craft box filled with bits and bobs that I use for crafts. In the past i've made my friends their initials for bdays, etc.
    Some pics:
    SPOILER! :

The initials idea looks really funky. At first I wasn't so sure about it, because I'm the type of person who thinks that everything I own needs to be functional, but then I realized those could make amazing book ends or holders or something. You could even just hang them on the wall above a coat hook or something like a really fancy label. The possibilities are endless!

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Wow, Tay! This is an excellent idea, I may actually try this. So like I assume you make the cakes as normal then put in the jar and shove that in the oven...? Or is it more like you make a tray bake cake then break it up and put it in somewhat randomly. I dunno if glass jars are safe in the oven. o_o I love how you could get really creative with the labelling and jar and the little wooden spoon is adorable! Thank you for sharing!
    Usually you would layer all the dry ingredients in the jar. You could put each ingredient in as one big layer or do a bunch of smaller layers. When it comes to using the ingredients you just dump it in a bowl, add the milk/eggs/butter/whatever, stir, pour, and bake. Basically it's just a prettier, fancier version of pancake mix.

SPOILER! :

However, for the red velvet one I think they baked some red velvet cake and then layered it in the jar with icing. You can do that with salads and things for lunches, too.
    Last edited by indescribable; 11-16-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Well hell, if only I was that crafty.
    Unfortunatelyyyyy- no.

Luckily I only got my mom and a good friend to give gifts to, maybe my little sister, but she's kinda....material.
    My solutions?

Painting/art for my mom. She loves that stuff. Some flowers too if I get the chance. And if I still have paint! o.o
    May send my friend my Xbox headset and a little something else that I have yet to figure out yet. It's gotta mean sumthin' tho!
    And my sister... I think I'll give her my old iPod Nano, since I don't use it, haven't used it for months now, and it's perfectly fine.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm out very crafty, either. Though I my customize a bag/some shoes for my roommate. I'm stumped on what to get my partner, since I went all-out for our anniversary (I spoil him, so). I've already bought gifts for two other people, one gift came from a handmade shop online and the other came from a vintage store. My family isn't exchanging gifts, since we'll be abroad together, which is selfishly convenient to me.