Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: someguy's drawings

Banned

someguy's drawings

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2316874&type=3

I cannot post any actual links to this, so just look at the gallery there, those drawings are all mine.

I don't think the link's working. Facebook's saying it's unavailable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Banned

There we are... Now you can all see how much I suck at drawing

Cute cartoons. In the anatomy practice at the top, the bodies are too short in comparison to the head. Keep practicing those and use real life examples to get the proportions right. I'm noticing that most of your drawings lack symmetry. Just fixing the symmetry alone will greatly improve your art.

With the next upload, would you mind making the pictures darker, it's kind of hard to see them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Banned
    I do need to draw darker... And yeah I'll keep practicing anatomy and such.

hey
    before you even think about getting into anatomy, you must understand the basics in art so that your ventures into other aspects in art are much easier and more effective. Here is a list of things you need to learn, as well as some images. For some, I'll put an exercise in parentheses. It's preferable that you do this in order, therefore it will be easier. Feel free to PM me with any questions:

-Drawing what you see, not what you know (blind contours and drawing an image upsidedown are the 2 best exercises for this)
    -Seeing space and negative shapes (negative space drawing)
    -Being able to see/create forms beyond their 2d shape (cross contours)
    -Measuring size, angles, and shape relationships using a tool and without using a tool. (ex: being able to see how far the tip of the nose is from the corner of the mouth, using a ruler if you're unsure)
    For all 4 of these, you MUST check out the book The New Drawing With The Right Side of your Brain. Don't fret, you don't have to pay for shit because you have the internet! Here's a download for the pdf:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?qw77ll80oxyo8c2
    -Values and depth. Understanding how light affects a form, understanding contrast in values. Images. Please look through each image carefully!! To get the most out of everything, draw along side and make notes
    SPOILER! :

-Techniques with your tools. In this case, pencil techniques. Rendering techniques (shading and adding values), working principles. Images:
    SPOILER! :

Then once you understand all of these and you are successful with it, you can get into this stuff:

-Basic Portraiture (this way you are able to put all your new found knowledge to the test).
    -basic Anatomy and Figure Drawing. This is what will require the most resources, so here is a quick little image collection. At this point, you should start building up a decent collection of references and resources, including photo references and whatever other useful information you find.
    I will add a few images that will help you, but what you should REALLY be doing is look at more books now. Anyone else reading will know what I'm about to mention
    The 2 teachers you need to check out are Andrew Loomis and Glenn Vilppu. With Loomis, you should look at his books in order, starting with Fun with a Pencil.
    http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/
    With Vilppu, here is his Drawing manual. He also has many various instructional videos that are VERY helpful. You can look for a torrent if you want.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?paqy6vsbdq3tv8o
    Although some of the art can look outdated (especially in Fun with a Pencil), the information is extremely valuable and I guarantee will help you as long as you utilize it correctly.
    As you continue with anatomy, you most likely will find that having a decent understanding of the muscular/skeletal system is beneficial. These two guides (especially atlas of human anatomy) are my favorite, as they go into detail on the muscles and bones of each body part
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/?6dtmu58har6cvsl
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/?bu6xhvg22vg37wv
    -Basic Composition (do daily compositional sketches. Landscapes, scenes, etc). Image:
    SPOILER! :

-Efficient workflow, from working out idea to finishing your work
    -Drawing from memory
    -Perspective (one point perspective, 2 point, so on. You can easily find a guide online bruv)
    -Constructing objects with shapes with planes. Being able to draw forms in perspective and in different angles
    -Color. Images:
    SPOILER! :

TIPS
    *Draw and sketch with as few lines as possible. Avoid chicken-scratch lines, sketch with your whole arm as opposed to flicking your wrist around. Be flow-y with your work and don't strain yourself. This will promote confidence and force you to plan out where you'll put your lines beforehand
    *Speaking of confidence, BE CONFIDENT! No one is an amazing artist in the beginning. We all have times where we despise our own work and think we'll never improve, but we will. Just stay determined and keep practicing, and you will one day come to a point where you are truly happy with your work.
    *It's completely fine to work with manga outside of your studies, but please try to avoid mixing manga with it. Proportions and shading in stylized work is a lot different and will mess what you're trying to learn.

good luck and GODSPEED! even if you don't make use of this post at all, hopefully others can.
    Last edited by toast; 11-07-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Preach Toasty! I was going to critique your art and try to help out, but Toast did a pretty fantastic crit. That is a lot of extremely helpful information and advice (and I'm stealing some of those pdfs as we speak <.< ). Nothing else to add but keep drawing and keep having fun with it! :3

Banned
    I have to learn all that stupid shit? Why? I'm not looking to become some faggot ass concept artist.

Hahaha.

Haaaaha

Banned
    So I have to learn all that if I even want to be halfway decent at art? Seems like too much of a burden, and where are your drawings at Joosh? Oh right... You removed them all.