Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hikikomori

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    Are you calling people who might have a problem and are not able to integrate to society as expected, tumors?
    No, I'm just using it as an analogy. Society exists because of people, if a person shut herself away from society she will cease to do her part for society, but society will not cut her off. That's very much the case of a cell in a body that is afflicted with cancer. I didn't think about the very negative attribute of the word itself, and it is not my intention to make people who have trouble fitting in feel like they are cancer.

However, if we find it difficult to integrate and communicate with the people around us, and we come to the conclusion that it's probably so because they don't understand us, just remember that Ockham's razor suggest that the fault lies with us. Neither is it a matter of pretending to be something other people like, it's about changing yourself until you are something that both you and other people like. Because yes, to tie into BunnyVoid's initial post, I think that people that have artistic pursuits are more in danger of becoming secluded than people with more social interests, and if we as artists can't understand other people, how are other people going to appreciate our art?

I don't think it it matters if one gets recognition from another.
    Actually you're coming off as one of those people who only seek to be "accepted".

To be honest, I have a hard time imagining that there would even be people who "only" seek to be accepted. All the people I know seek to live a happy life, but surely that cannot be achieved without the acceptance, love, respect and sense of belonging that you can only get from other people? Actually you can cross out that question mark, because it is already proven to be true. The name Abraham Maslow should probably be a good one to check out if you don't believe me. If that doesn't satisfy you continue with Frederick Herzberg, and if you are still not convinced go on to Harry Harlow. Although, things are getting really disturbing at the Harlow level, at least I think so. You might of course be of another opinion but I start to cry by just reading about his research.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubisko View Post
    All the people I know seek to live a happy life, but surely that cannot be achieved without the acceptance, love, respect and sense of belonging that you can only get from other people?
    Already got that from my grandmother no one else really matters.

Hikikomori seems like my kind of jam.

I think that a lot of people actually fit the description of a hikikomori than they realize. Imo...society on a whole are gradually gravitating away from 'normal' types human social interaction. Take this forum for example: here we are discussing this topic anonymously without too much fear of ridicule, judgment or rejection...but how many of us here would feel that they could honestly voice their opinions of this subject IRL? Not to say that anybody here's a punk or anything...but what I'm getting at is that society is gradually become more introverted.

How much of one's day is spent communicating via the web or cell? How much of one's PERSONAL time is precisely that: time personally spent with the entire world shut out while that person escapes into whatever fantasy that floats their boat?

I'll admit that I am a recluse. I really make new relations & the old ones I have (including family) I keep distant because when someone else's shit coincides with your own, you have to deal with extra shit and a lot of people really just can't handle too much shit.

Can a person outside of society's norm contribute to said society? Yes. I can't quote anyone else thoughts on this, but just because I don't follow the herd like everyone else doesn't mean that I can't contribute to that herd without following them all to the slaughterhouse.

I'm rambling here but if were supposed to have free & conscious thought...humankind...doesn't it make sense that people who have thought about society today (or whenever) & decided that they rather not follow that trend doesn't mean that they cannot find their own way based of the choices that they've made.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyVoid View Post
    For me this occurred ever since i felt like I have lost hope in reality in general. Especially in the different constructs society works. I feel like humanity's bound to be doomed at some point with this reality.
    Is this because of the selfishness that society promotes now? Of the "me, me, me", everything is your fault but not mine, "makes for good TV", etc kind of behavior? If it is, then I'm not surprised. The boundaries of society has become such that anything and everything is pretty much accepted now-a-days from rude behavior, speech, attitude, and so on. It doesn't help when they are egged on as well from media and media-related outlets.

With that said, society as a whole is not full of nasty people. You may unfortunately have access to and interact with people who are like that in RL but you can always change that. Don't hang out with those people. Find others who are like yourself. Instead of focusing on the negative of people's words and actions - why not remember those who have been nice or at least positive instead? In my opinion, it's all about your personal attitude and whether or not you have a thick skin and can brush any insult or slight that comes your way. At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide your life. And let me tell you - you're better off getting rid of whatever prejudices, hurt feelings, bottled emotions, misunderstandings and whatnot because those things are just going to drag you down until you get rid of them. <-- personal experience

Anyways, I don't think hikikomori's are new. Hermits have been in existence for centuries. Most of the common ones would be monks who cloister themselves away from society so they can attend to the spiritual without the influences of the outside world. If you become a hikikamori though, I suggest you get a pet (preferably a dog). I bet that pet will tide over the loneliness you'll feel every now and then.

What she said

If you are all partial hermits then what the hell are you doing on a social forum.

Hmm well you see the great thing about online forums is that you can interact with peeps without having to leave your chair. Ain't that great?