Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hikikomori

Hikikomori

A hikikomori is a person who likes to cut himself/herself from society.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikikomori

I happen to have high tendencies to become one.
    For me this occurred ever since i felt like I have lost hope in reality in general. Especially in the different constructs society works. I feel like humanity's bound to be doomed at some point with this reality.

Are you one?
    Just wanted to know if this condition is common among artists, gamers, geeks and "otakus" in general.
    Last edited by BunnyVoid; 10-19-2012 at 02:39 AM.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

I guess I would be one.

I hate going outside, I feel that the outside world is extremely aggressive and judgmental, that if you even look someone they might get angry to you just because you stare them (something I can't stop doing because if I see someone with special features, I try to remember those to draw them later) and is even worst if you try to talk or being nice (it has happened to my a lot, I have tried to be nice and people just want to fight you), and lets not even talk about urbanism on the city, I just feel depressed on how things are and how going outside is a struggle.

And I have developed a dislike for social activities, I can't handle to be around people, I hate malls or shoppings, and I can't go to parties, even more when friends invite me they tell me to be nice, because they know for fact that I get frustrated in parties and I canalize my frustration, depression and anxiety on the first ass hole who does a stupid comment.

Also I have this weird believe that there is no place for my outside, as I can't socialize with people, everyone is angry and you need to do such stupid things to be liked, I just find it easier to stay home and draw, at least I can get better in that and I enjoy it.

weird thing is that when I used to go to the psychologist he always tried me to go outside and be social. The deal is that I can be social, but there is no reward on it and it doesn't make me happy either, and he also told me to stop canalizing my problems on drawing because I do it soo much that I don't do it socially. weird.
    Last edited by ClockHand; 10-19-2012 at 02:53 AM.

My mom was worried i would be one as a kid, and my dad didn't mind since he thinks most people's idea of having fun and being social involves hurting themselves in some way. Which is kinda right if youre talking about the general masses.
    I agree with bunnyvoid saying humanity will probably doom itself, but we'll still be here cause we saw it coming :P

I dont think i am hikikomori, i still walk/ride my bike through crowds if i have to, and go shopping and take trains. I still am disgusted with the mindless society, but i keep it to myself even in public!
    The internet people are more quality friends than irl people most of the time, not even joking.

Online friends who can draw are even better, cause its like sharing whats in your head with whats in other people's heads. an un-creative friend isnt a friend worth having IMO *fist in the air*
    Last edited by Sutari; 10-19-2012 at 03:43 AM.

You know what is crazy, that its extremely hard (at least for me) to find people who draw in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    You know what is crazy, that its extremely hard (at least for me) to find people who draw in real life.
    I agree, that's why I really want to get to an art school :/

I don't think that I'm one, I do find myself somewhat cut of from society right now because drawing is very solitary work, but I don't like it at all and have actually been loosing weight because of it. I think that if somethings wrong with society you will only do it and yourself a disservice by cutting yourself off from it. Society depend on human interaction and produce ideas chewed on between people with different backgrounds and needs, and that makes you a part of it all. So cutting yourself off from it only makes you a cancer tumor on it, and if you think it's doomed it's probably because of tumors.

If you wish to make it as comercial artists you will also need to be able to respond to the needs and views of society. Internet doesn't contain all the things there is to real life, only real life does. Friends that doesn't completely share my interests or views are my most valued friends, because they can provide input on my ideas that I wouldn't be able to see on my own. To prove my point, most of what I have written here come from outside sources; I think that if I didn't have those wonderful friends that don't think like I do and yet they manage to put up with me and talk to me, then I would be in real danger of becoming a hikikomori

Yes I agree, it is hard to find artist friends in real life. If ever I do find one, its so hard to get along instantly because we artists have our own protective barriers which we have to break before we could share the same one. Also, there are multiple factors which people consider and may well be neglected in the online world.

Its not that I hate humans in general. I have lots of friends who I can hang out, go drinking with, and etc but at the end of the day, my relationship with them suddenly feels empty. Sometimes I think people are blinded by this "reality". I cannot really word how this grudge of mine works but you guys get the idea with what you said.

Ironically, the system we're living in drains the life out us. (By system I mean the way society works) I just don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubisko View Post
    I don't think that I'm one, I do find myself somewhat cut of from society right now because drawing is very solitary work, but I don't like it at all and have actually been loosing weight because of it. I think that if somethings wrong with society you will only do it and yourself a disservice by cutting yourself off from it. Society depend on human interaction and produce ideas chewed on between people with different backgrounds and needs, and that makes you a part of it all. So cutting yourself off from it only makes you a cancer tumor on it, and if you think it's doomed it's probably because of tumors.
    I like that metaphor you used. The cancer thing has been used over and over to explain certain diseases in society. Its not that I don't want to work with society. Its even the opposite. I badly wanted to change this society but I can only do so little things that don't effect into anything worthy. This is the reason why i went to architecture. So I could do so much more with my art. I hate society so much because I want to change it and I can't.

I don't know how to explain. It might be good to note that the country that I live in has so much experience of immorality and social irresponsibility.

Maybe I'm too idealistic. Maybe I'm too ambitious and unrealistic. Maybe I believe in a reality far different from what I see and experience. All these things cause me to shy away from society, because I'm hopeless.

I'm just relieved tho. Its rather enlightening to know what other people think of being recluse.
    Last edited by BunnyVoid; 10-19-2012 at 05:43 AM.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

I agree with Rubisko too, but in my experience, trying to help people that don't want to change and think you are crazy for being different, isn't going to get you very far (they think the wrong way is the right way). Other people learning or changing their habits at your expense, then blaming you if they can't handle what you tell them, is my biggest peeve. Maybe my opinions are too unpopular.
    Of course not everyone does this, and I do have good friends in real life from when we were kids.

I think theres a difference between being paranoid, hating society, and just being timid and generally not wanting to be social. Its just that you can do all of those things at the same time, and maybe they are all percieved as hikikomori.
    Sometimes it is just too stressful/annoying to try to mix it up with people, and I always end up leaving and wanting to do my own things.

If there was no internet, i think being a hikikomori would be pretty hard.

People are shit. Fuck 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubisko View Post
    I think that if somethings wrong with society you will only do it and yourself a disservice by cutting yourself off from it. Society depend on human interaction and produce ideas chewed on between people with different backgrounds and needs, and that makes you a part of it all. So cutting yourself off from it only makes you a cancer tumor on it, and if you think it's doomed it's probably because of tumor.
    Are you calling people who might have a problem and are not able to integrate to society as expected, tumors?

Eh. Cutting yourself off hardly helps the situation, but you can hardly call shut-in people the route of the problem.

Society is full of alot of self-brainwashed sick puppies. People who think that getting drunk and busting out some kids is the only thing worthwhile to do with their lives. So it's a perfectly sane conclusion to come to, that you are surrounded by people who's life goals are completely inferior to your own.

The tricky party is, how do you know which ones are just acting like goofballs just to fit in, just like you are? How can you judge if a freind's strange, alien thought paterns are better or worse than your own whilst this barrier remains intact? How can you judge the intentions of your own family?

Even with an internet connection in every household, is seems every man is still an island.