Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You Guys Should Totally Critique Adam's Work, Since You All Rock at Art

Hybrid View

Double Digits Member

You Guys Should Totally Critique Adam's Work, Since You All Rock at Art

Hey.

I've been lurking for a bit, seen a few threads, and decided (not counting the introduction thread) to get involved.

First off, and this is more of another small semi-introduction than anything, what I want to get most out of this isn't insane-level good. I've checked out the 'Let's Exercise!' thread and more than once I felt like simultaneously crying and breaking my tablet when I compared myself to what those guys had done. I want, mainly, just to be able to look at my own work and say "Yes. I am happy with this." Considering my personal standards are quite low, this won't be exceedingly difficult.

I guess, on a more technical level, what I'm aiming to improve on (and this is a very narrow selection) is folds, shading, anatomy (as always) and a little bit of perspective. So pretty much the most difficult and hardest-to-master parts.

Now, onto the actual art. In chronological order up until now, we have...

The first thing I ever drew with my new graphics tablet. Considering I had used a graphics tablet for a total of about three hours before this, it was...different.

Before I learnt how to turn off the pen pressure, this was my second thing.

I got hell bored at TAFE one day, so I knocked this out with a mouse.

Tablet again. Not...TOO unhappy with it, I guess. Could be worse.

I'm actually pretty happy with this one, which is weird considering it's still nothing next to most other ones I've seen on here. Still, it's the first one I bothered to put a lot of time and effort into, what with the background and all.

And that's all I've done to now. I hope you guys can pick apart my pictures - I actually really want to see what I can improve on. I know it's a long road, but I'm glad I found this site with people like all of you help me.

Until next time,

-- <3 Ad

wow awesome title. I'm glad you joined us.

For a first time user of a pen tablet, I say you're pretty good.
    Also you seem to already have the whole picture in your head, even complete with details and backgrounds.
    I like all your attempts in coloring.

For you, I think the best way to start is get a good grip of your medium. Maybe practice a lot of quick sketches of faces, poses, etc (just anything really) to release the tension in your lines. Its still a bit fuzzy, which (imo) indicates restricted strokes. Do you make multiple strokes instead of a single solid one when making a line? If yes, you may also want to try incorporating a larger movement with your wrist and possibly the rest of your arm... i really can't explain it but i hope you get the picture.

that's all for now. I will critique your art in depth when i see some sketches.
    Its nice having you around. You're quite an interesting fella.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

Double Digits Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyVoid View Post
    wow awesome title. I'm glad you joined us.

For a first time user of a pen tablet, I say you're pretty good.
    Also you seem to already have the whole picture in your head, even complete with details and backgrounds.
    I like all your attempts in coloring.

For you, I think the best way to start is get a good grip of your medium. Maybe practice a lot of quick sketches of faces, poses, etc (just anything really) to release the tension in your lines. Its still a bit fuzzy, which (imo) indicates restricted strokes. Do you make multiple strokes instead of a single solid one when making a line? If yes, you may also want to try incorporating a larger movement with your wrist and possibly the rest of your arm... i really can't explain it but i hope you get the picture.

that's all for now. I will critique your art in depth when i see some sketches.
    Its nice having you around. You're quite an interesting fella.
    D'awh! Thanks, you! I've been on-and-off drawing for a while (usually just in the back of books in school), but too be fair, I've never really followed up or made any true attempt! I'll do the sketching thing, as you suggested - I did a page in PS of sketches of hands, but they made me want to stab myself due to how horrible they were. Stupid hands.

As for the line thing...I don't know really. I think I swap between the two unconsciously. I'll take note next time and get back to you.

Thanks heaps. I shall do said sketches and return to submit myself for your judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    I would say your biggest problem is the proportions. --- ...here is a head height chart to help you with your proportions;
    Yeah. I suck at proportions. I think I attempt to do foreshortening, and then just WAY overshoot what it's meant to look like. That left leg (right on our side), I think I redid about fifteen or so times because I could never get it just right. Yeah, I sometimes use a head scale thing (draw one head, copy it 7 or 8 times and line them up), but for the final picture it didn't even cross my mind. I sort of just winged it. But I'll do that reading that you suggested!

THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU.

I would say your biggest problem is the proportions. For example on the last picture and arm is much thicker and much longer than the other, when biological symmetry would mean they should be close to identical and even when foreshortening is present, you should still get this feel that they are the same. Also your legs in the picture were also a bit short. So I suggest using the following link;

http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/Loomi...ure%20Draw.pdf

Reading up about anatomy and figure drawing should help you get all of that nailed down, and also here is a head height chart to help you with your proportions;

If you are going for a manga style I suggest the 6-7 head models, and also use references
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 10-18-2012 at 06:54 AM.
    The kombucha mushroom people, sitting around all day.

You're welcome, also I would like to put particular emphasis on the use of references and the use of gestures. Correct me if i'm wrong but I don't think you have been using any references for the poses, I would highly suggest this too you as you cannot draw something if you haven't first looked on it and studied it so as to get it right, if that makes any sense. Here is some more links for you, so you can get references to practice from;

http://www.posemaniacs.com/ (For innocent eyes)
    http://lovecastle.org/draw/ (NSFW, nude models, etc)

Also here is some stuff on gestures, which will make your poses and flow etc;

http://www.4shared.com/office/EN9BK4...ng_Manual.html

Double Digits Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    You're welcome, also I would like to put particular emphasis on the use of references and the use of gestures. Correct me if i'm wrong but I don't think you have been using any references for the poses, I would highly suggest this too you as you cannot draw something if you haven't first looked on it and studied it so as to get it right, if that makes any sense. Here is some more links for you, so you can get references to practice from;

http://www.posemaniacs.com/ (For innocent eyes)
    http://lovecastle.org/draw/ (NSFW, nude models, etc)

Also here is some stuff on gestures, which will make your poses and flow etc;

http://www.4shared.com/office/EN9BK4...ng_Manual.html
    Thanks man! You're right - I wasn't really using references at all. I drew from what I thought 'looked right' and went from there. For the hands, I looked at my own, for the leg up in the last one, I brought my leg up and guessed, that sort of amateur thing. I'll take a looksee through those links though. Thanks again.

That wasn't amateur-ish, you can also use yourself as a reference, you are a viable human being after all aren't you? :P and yeah those two books are very useful, you will learn a lot from them ^_^ hope it helps

I commend you for your bravery in taking on that background. Along with what these guys are saying, you should really study perspective. None of your buildings really have the same perspective.

This is a perspective tutorial and guide that I love:
    http://fox-orian.deviantart.com/gall...62487#/d1yamid

Also, practice long straight lines. I know they're hard with a tablet pen at first, but just keep at it

Double Digits Member
    You guys are all brilliant, you know that?

Also, and this is aimed back at BunnyVoid, mostly, but how much detail should I be putting into my 'sketches'? Bare bones, just so you can check proportion and arrangement? Basic shapes around that (even though I know nothing of anatomy and/or the muscular and skeletal systems)? Just a clarification would be nice.

Demonfyre, I'll take a geez through, but really, my attention span is NOT at artist level, or even artist STUDENT level. I looked at the book and the first thing I thought was 'Christ. That's a lot of words'. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE reading, but...I dunno. I can't help but feel I'll get bored of them really fast. And probably because I'll try and draw what it says in the book, get it wrong, and rage-quit.

JJJorgie, you are a wonderful person and you should feel good about yourself. Thanks for the feedback, and yeah, the backdrop was actually drawn on a whim. I had never planned for a background at all, and just sort of made it up as I went along. And yes. Straight lines with a tablet are dicks.

hmm on sketches, try to form the shapes and volume of the person first. then add details until you're quite content. I usually put emphasis on face and the focus of the piece, maybe less for the background and props... I usually time myself to sketch 3 - 5 minutes. Beyond that I stop and look what I do. But i recommend that you time your sketches around 10 to 15 minutes since you're starting out. Then leave it for a while and come back to it after an hour of so of not looking. See if you can tweak a little more of this and that (anatomy, composition, pose, expression, clothing folds, details). While you leave the drawing, you can draw another piece of sketch for 10 to 15 minutes and leave it. Anyway that's how I usually do stuff. Its quick and fun because I have very short attention span like you. lol.

Oh and also, try to read through the things demonfyre and jjjorgie gave between intervals of drawing but don't look at the drawing too much cause familiarity distorts our way of "seeing" things. Come back to the drawing and apply what you have read. You learn your mistakes fast when you do that.

you're pretty good. i like the enthusiasm.
    Being on and off drawing is also my problem. It ruins the style. Maybe try drawing everyday. Buy a sketchpad you bring around and draw every break time.
    Last edited by BunnyVoid; 10-18-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/