Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: RedCaliburn's Artwork - Forever Road to Improvment

@callesthe: Ah, thank you! Yes, the horse is a little bit deformed, but I was doing more of a observational drawing. If I wanted to do serious animal studies (which I will) then I will take on the approach of studying their skeletal and muscle structure. Oh, that sounds like a good exercise that I could do, thank you for the suggestion. My memory takes time to remember about their structure and everything else, but the more I practice right? I'll do my best, thanks again.

@Demonfyre: That is a good tool to use in the initial phase of the sketch, but that's something over time I have to understand when incorporating both shapes and lines together. It does make my sketches too mechanical, stiff, or inorganic, which is why I use a lot of shapes in things like landscapes, building's and objects. Humans and animals are a little more tricky, but it has been done before by other artists so I will defiantly give that a shot. Seeing shapes in objects are something I am developing though. Thanks for the advice.

Did an apple that I had in front of me, then used photoshop to paint it. I feel like I'm not doing this correctly when it comes to rendering. I was viewing a thread at concept art and a thread about digital painting. It was really fun, but I feel that I can do better then this. I used to paint a little bit, but the way I render something, feels like an actual painting and not necessarily closer to realism. But I hope to achieve that. Here's the original post for that: http://www.conceptart.org/showthread...7#.UWRWv2X4CM8

Anyway, here's the apple.

Oh before I forget, I used everything at 100% opacity and flow. I know my painting is very messy, but that's a rendition of how I would paint in real life...
    Last edited by RedCaliburn; 04-09-2013 at 04:34 PM.

It's looking very good so far. Nice color choices! I think you basically know where to go with it from here: smoother blending, texture, details. Great job!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Quote Originally Posted by JJJorgie View Post
    It's looking very good so far. Nice color choices! I think you basically know where to go with it from here: smoother blending, texture, details. Great job!
    Thank you! I tried to observe the colors carefully on what the apple had. I think I just about have all of the colors down. Took me hours on this, but I think this is as far as I can go.

Tada:

I used about 80% opacity with soft brush (I hope that was correct) to blend the colors together.
    It was a lot of fun. I took pictures of this before I started it, just in case someone needs to take a look at it. It was also delicious. :P

Wow, beautiful job! Maybe try erasing the black lines and shaping it with it's colors to make it look more realistic.
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

hehe i agree with jorgie, it looks very neat already, though erasing the black lines might help :3 shaping it with colours or at least colouring the lines in appropriate colours might change a lot :3 it looks really neat, though i think you might even be able to add some more contrast to give it more volume c:

So sorry for the very late response, I just finished my school two weeks ago.

@both: Thank you for the feedback! It makes sense because most realistic items don't have an outline, I guess I added the outline in because I liked the style of it. But if I'm trying to go for realism, I would have to take it off and refine it. I'm a little lost with volume, but do you mean adding a background to give it more contrast?

So that's the apple without the sketch. It gives me a pretty good idea of what I can do in my future painting's if I were to render it with color. Value needs a little more work, then it should come out pretty good.

Now for the ones that may need actual critiques I announced back a month ago, I have these two pieces that I started on a small project for, but it didn't get accepted and so I would like to share it with you guys.

This is a concept sketch that I was working on, but I felt that this character needed more time to develop because the story was incomplete. However, this was supposed to be a pure design process that I was trying to learn in concept art (I also practiced on perspective, value's and anatomy).

http://fav.me/d633q86

Second one is a painting I did for the environment for this person in this area that is rather dead, consumed with bones, fungi, beetles, dead tree's etc. I wanted the environment to contrast with her in this painting which worked quite well. If I were to make this better, I would have to fix the value's, lighting and add some indication of volume (atmosphere). This painting was another example of me trying perspective, thumbnail painting and tones.

http://fav.me/d625ccs

The environment seems fine in terms of perspective, but I think it would be much improved if you added more definition to whichever plane you want the viewer to focus on. Assuming that the figure in the distance is the main focal point, it might look better if you were to add more detail to the trees in the background, as they seem to be the same distance away from the viewer.

Personally, I'd thin out the trunks and branches, maybe adding more trees behind the first row to help suggest depth, but if you specifically want them to be chunky, you could just make their edges sharper and maybe add the suggestion of textured bark where the light's hitting them.

I don't mean to say that you need to have everything super-detailed, but I think pushing it that little bit further would add interest to your scene.

Sorry for late reply, there has been a lot of changes happening recently, but I'm trying to get back on track slowly.

Hmm, I don't get the feeling that you are simplifying the structures you are drawing before you add the detail. It looks like you have some gestural stuff going on, however it seems to be rather mechanical, but I think you should concentrate on representing complex forms (especially with anatomy of animals and humans) using simple forms like circles, cubes, cuboids, etc before you go on and detail. Once you can simplify, you can build onto it and add the details such as fur or musculature etc - simple to complex.
    I forgot to respond to this. I've tried understanding simplification of the process of my drawing's in complex matter. Andrew Loomis books seem to show this understanding of why it's important since shading, lighting and general form fall into place. From what I understand, everything is built within 3D objects that all have a form within it; but it's also what is inside of it and the other side of what we can't see is important as well- we can't second guess forms because that's a way to understand and create 3D forms on a 2D surface.

My drawing's sometimes feel mechanical because there're area's that are missing information or understanding. I do try my best to draw more nude figures to understand this subject a little more to prevent that awkward figure that looks too stiff and soulless. Figure drawings are working for me, it just takes more practice. I can see it in my recent artwork now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaff View Post
    The environment seems fine in terms of perspective, but I think it would be much improved if you added more definition to whichever plane you want the viewer to focus on. Assuming that the figure in the distance is the main focal point, it might look better if you were to add more detail to the trees in the background, as they seem to be the same distance away from the viewer.

Personally, I'd thin out the trunks and branches, maybe adding more trees behind the first row to help suggest depth, but if you specifically want them to be chunky, you could just make their edges sharper and maybe add the suggestion of textured bark where the light's hitting them.

I don't mean to say that you need to have everything super-detailed, but I think pushing it that little bit further would add interest to your scene.
    I would definitely would try to push my pieces to have more depth and that's something that I have to learn from photographs/real life. Ah, that's a really good point. I'd love to make texture, but when it comes to tree's and their bark, that's something I have to observe a little more and practice. In some painting's their tree barks look very realistic. But when it comes to adding light on top of texture, that's something I don't know too much about.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I will look into these and try to practice more on them. Now for the next post below:

I did a little bit of bird study since it was something I could do outside and actually observe real ones. I tried understanding behind the anatomy as well and it is pretty tough to be honest, but I'll keep trying. I'll get into more anatomy studies with Andrew loomis. I also recently picked up a book called "color and light" by james gurney. This will help me understand color and light together when painting onto forms + landscaping much better. ^^

A couple drawing's here. Used the first one with pencil crayon (don't really like the paper that I used to color on TBH). The second one was a vehicle I was drawing, then the last is a toucan. I tried to think about bird claw designs, but I couldn't really push them any further because of less understanding of real armoury.

A quick sketch on the group board. Added a pink background and a red tint on the eyes for effect. I seem to like colored backgrounds, not sure why.

Been quite busy past weeks, but I'm back. I'm taking a small break from real life drawings. Here's a line art of Sakura from street fighter:

*Edit* I noticed I have a couple mistakes that I need to fix. Missing cuff and when someone winks, their eyebrows follow it. And more to fix if I see any. :[

SPOILER! :

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RedCaliburn; 07-21-2013 at 04:01 PM.