Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: RedCaliburn's Artwork - Forever Road to Improvment

Did a few castle sketching's from real photographs, hopefully my drawing's will become more looser and free time. I also want to eventually do things without the reference and be good at it. I hope these are acceptable for now just working from straight references.
    *Also forgive my handwritting, I know it's not the best. D:

http://fav.me/d5u2yj7
    Last edited by RedCaliburn; 02-06-2013 at 11:35 PM.

These castles are much nicer than your previous drawings. There's a greater amount of volume and confidence in your lines and I think you are going in the right direction.
    But make sure to treat observation exercises like this the right way. Try for example to plot out the perspective with the help of your reference. =)

Thanks Rubisko. Although I'm not the type to press really lightly on my pages, it's better when I draw harder on the page, I feel alot more confident that way. I'm trying my best to understand horizan line, but if it's in an enviroment where it's closed, or you can't see the sky, then I have a little more difficulty telling where the camera is. Especially the vanishing points if they're way out of the picture. Although I can determine an approximate, I'm getting a much better idea of where the back of objects are, if it's objects that I can't see behind but they are still visable in the front.

So I did some figure excercises, the last two are made up without reference. Soon I'll apply these into perspective and then the painting's will come to life much more professionally.
    The first one is somewhere back a few months I did and I personally wasen't getting the hang of 'scribbling' quite yet. Until now, I started to use other methods to plan out figures.

And then the next 5 I used photographs to help 'see' in 3-dimentional, even though these are flat figures...
    *Edit: I somtimes put countour lines around the figure to get that feeling of space around the figure to give depth. It's really just me trying to figure out/get an idea of where the skin and muscle is.

These two I made up to show that I understand the concept:

Last edited by RedCaliburn; 02-13-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedCaliburn View Post
    Thanks Rubisko. Although I'm not the type to press really lightly on my pages, it's better when I draw harder on the page, I feel alot more confident that way. I'm trying my best to understand horizan line, but if it's in an enviroment where it's closed, or you can't see the sky, then I have a little more difficulty telling where the camera is. Especially the vanishing points if they're way out of the picture. Although I can determine an approximate, I'm getting a much better idea of where the back of objects are, if it's objects that I can't see behind but they are still visable
    You are welcome but your argument about pressure is invalid; I only draw with pens and I still draw out the el and perspective grids. The horizon appears where the earth curves away from our view. It makes more sense to talk about the eye level, or el for short. Some people like to think about the horizon and some prefer the eye level.The back of objects shouldn't be guessed because they can be measured easily. Go to your local library and get yourself some books on the subject, if you want to become a designer you have to work for it

Btw, are you currently studying graphic design? I believe I can see some typography showing through on your figure drawings.

Yes but, I mean in general when I'm drawing, I usually don't outline things very light because I feel confident in my drawing's. Even if it's an unfinished drawing, I tend to make my lines thick and it can also be a pain to erase as well. However, if I'm drawing somthing and I need to have it light, then that's fine. I ment to say that the way I draw my lines tend to be thicker most of the time because when it comes to drawing, drawing light doesn't seem to be my style- somthing I do for many years to put it that way.
    No, you're absoulutly correct. Perspective drawing is somthing I'm working on and I should not ever have to second guess where the other side of the object looks like. But you said it can be easily measured within simple shapes which I beileve just requires practice and understanding. As long as I grasp the concept, then it should be ok.

No, what are you talking about- Ok, ok, yes you're right. I'm studying graphic design (visual communications to be precise), although I feel like I could get better lessons to bring my skills to a higher level. Well, I was actually using peices of the back of my uh... lectures? I forgot my sketchbook at home so I used it to draw them lol. Also spot on, on the typography, it's really small too (dem magic eyes). I haven't been able to study a course alone on it, but this course teaches some of it.
    Last edited by RedCaliburn; 02-13-2013 at 11:09 PM.

A pen makes every line equally thick and with equal flow. I don't erase guidelines, in fact I can't erase lines at all since ink or gel is permanent. I actually think it would benefit you to work with pens instead of a pencil, but all I'm really trying to say is that you shouldn't be afraid to have visible guidelines. It's better to have visible guidelines in a correct drawing than it is to have a clean drawing that is incorrect after all

I'll admit that the reason I use pencil's is because if I make a mistake, I can erase them. If I use a pen and I make a mistake, then I get upset that I messed up on doing line art. There's alot of art that I do that I don't show because I tend to mess up alot, but the purpose of having those mistakes there, is to help me get better at doing them. Pen does help in that area alot though.

I know I haven't been posting anime much at all, but I'm trying to define my own style, most importantly the way I work and do things my way. Me, being somewhat inexperienced with drawing in photoshop I have a hard time with then illustrator. I can't seem to make my lines flow consistently because I find myself pressing too hard or too little on the tablet way too much. What I do now, is take lineart from illustrator then bring it over to photoshop to put the final touches on painting it. I wish there was a brush similar to the way I use a pencil...
    These drawing's I did not plan to show in the past (they're kinda recent I guess), but I may as well for the sake of pointing out things for making mistakes.

I did a sketch of strider with a mechanical pencil... Not much to comment except the wacky hair.

Coloring I did using deafult illustrator brush, imported line art to photoshop to touch it up. A month ago, I wasn't looking up on color tones, but there's still mistakes in regards to shading/perspective?. also I have this nagging feeling that her right eye (on my right side) looks awkward, but I can't explain it.

Made it into black and white to point out any mistakes on value:

The muscles of the arms are looking really bulgy and weird, they don't seem to stick to any particular form and don't really make much sense. I would suggest using arm references if you decide to correct it. I also notice that your traditional sketches seem to generally look really nice and have a cool sketchy feel to them, however when you vector* them in the digital lineart they start to get this bulgy effect, if you have a tablet at all maybe you could try linearting with that?

*I assume

Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    The muscles of the arms are looking really bulgy and weird, they don't seem to stick to any particular form and don't really make much sense. I would suggest using arm references if you decide to correct it. I also notice that your traditional sketches seem to generally look really nice and have a cool sketchy feel to them, however when you vector* them in the digital lineart they start to get this bulgy effect, if you have a tablet at all maybe you could try linearting with that?

*I assume
    All of my digital art is done by tablet, I use intuos4. I didn't really notice the arms having a strange effect, I'll take a note of that.
    Thank you, I've been spending all my time mostly on pencil since I've been drawing with it for nearly all my life. When I noticed the difference in digital art, I got really nit-picky, because illustrator didn't seem to get the (vector) line art effect that I want. Most of my artwork is traced once I get it into illustrator. Then here come the problem: it would not use pen-pressure. Maybe I have to tweek the setting's, or it's a glitch? I'm clueless. I'm trying to find the right settings for me until it 'feels' and 'draws' like a pencil. Then add some practice and it'll look much better.

Itll be easier to line art in ps, as for the pen pressure, did you install the drivers?