Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: RedCaliburn's Artwork - Forever Road to Improvment

Your points are valid. In my own mind, I can create images ranging either 2D or 3D but I have yet to prove that in an art form (atm). I understand working from copied arts can harm the potential of growth if I only rely on those, but there's a good reason why I use references. In my best interest, I try to understand the concepts by explaining them to myself. "Okay if the light source is coming at an angle, it effects the 'object's' shadow, depth and even color. So the area of the shadow is highlighted 'here' etc". I'll keep that in mind for future drawing's.

The references used is located on the deviantart page. Others used without the sources are located in various pictures scattered around the internet. Oh, I may also note that all of my thoughts are posted as the author's comment, it's important to take a look at it first.

Hmm, that's odd, I was told that 6 heads was the adverage size? What size are you reffering to if you don't mind me asking?
    I'm still not quite sure if I understand what you are talking about her facial features. Can you explain it more clearly?
    I'm still trying to not get that 'shaky' art but it does happen. Assuming this is the inked art and not the pencil one... I do make mistakes and this is somthing that I can reduce more often in time. It's good that you and I can notice the tiniest detail in things like that- which I often flip out when that does happen lol.
    The hydra should be explained in my dev comment. Just to narrow it, it was too asbstract as a concept I almost didn't want to show it because that artwork was done somewhere in april. But at the same time I kinda did because it was an original idea- but with the wrong proportions, not knowing how mecha's work, bad design in general if used for final.

Thank you for the advice, but big thumbs up for noticing those minor mistakes that both of us can see. Oh, also about the artworks, I am working on one that is just for studying and I know I haven't been able to post now, because of schoolwork. I'm appreciated that I have these flaws so I can quickly get started on them, but there's just so many that I don't even know which one to begin with lol.

Six heads may very well be the world wide average, I'm not quite sure. What I am sure of however is that in the video game industry six heads is too short. Video game design is to a large part ruled by current fashion, like it or not. And this is going to sound ridiculous but it's true anyway, being short is not fashionable, and have not been so for at least the last three hundred years. In the end it's your choice though, if you manage to pull it off it will look good no matter the proportions you chose.

@Rubisko: No problem, I'd like to be flexible and work with as many different sizes as I can. I actually didn't know about proportion sizes actually mattered in the VG industry, more like surprised. Thank you for letting me know.

Okay, so I did an example where I did the inking, sketching and coloring in one set of the same drawing. I know it's just fan art but some wanted to see the process of me doing the whole thing. So here we go:
    *Edit* oh, before anyone asks me yes I did use a reference for this. Actually, its from a screenshot of the game.

http://fav.me/d5if3la
    Last edited by RedCaliburn; 10-19-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Well, it's more that proportions and design always matter. Imagine for example that you get hired as a concept artist for the next elder scrolls game. At the first deadline you show up with a bunch of anime-styled drawings. I don't think they'd let you keep your job.
    My personal favorite when it comes to anatomy is Burne Hogarth, and he writes in his book dynamic anatomy "A figure proportion is necessary to art; but it must be a proportion of it's own era ... and respond to the artist's problems in his time...It should be a figure of the general agreement in the culture" and then "...proportion should be used in the learning stages of art. It should be understood as a point of departure, like the Greenwich meridian, ... It is meant to be a preparatory stage only in creative invention and is proposed as a measure of common sense in figure skill for the student in art, not an imposition upon the master of art." Or to put it simple, even if your goal is to draw comic strips for newspapers you would still benefit greatly from learning to draw the "ideal" body. When I said that the industry want fashionable figures I were more thinking about games that lean toward the realistic. Now that you post a capcom character once again I guess you're thinking more about cartoony and more stylized games. But I still think learning realistic anatomy would be of great use to you. And to me too, I'm not exactly a master yet =P

We all have our own processes, but I color stuff with colored pencil sometimes as well and I have a little trick to share. Skip the pencil and use a dry ballpoint pen instead. The advantages are as follow; less work, no smudge between graphite and the color pencil, more life to your art because having a few lose sketch lines here and there only add interest and texture to the drawing. Good job though =)

There's a ton of things I could explain right now, but I want to keep it short. In the long run, I want to be able to draw any kind of style which includes realistic anatomy. Games like Assassins creed, mass effect, Uncharted, FPS (CoD), LoL, Skyrim, your example, etc. Uses real human anatomy and definetely not anime styled games. Being able to do both is what I want to accomplish and later on apply creativity to make myself stand out.

I personally would like to use photographs of people and other websites that do real life sketches of them while explaining how the human body responds when it moves, or advanced poses at complicated angles (fore-shorterning, 3 point perspectives, etc). I'd like to choose a book or a study so I can them during school or at home, but see... There's alot of other subjects I'm trying to learn at the same time starting with perspective. In other words, I have no idea where to begin with. I'd start with the principal... Then apply with my own knowledge later on. I'll look at your book Rubisko and in the meantime, does anyone else have any recommendations for my way of learning it? I'd appreciate it greatly.

Oh, I have yet to use a pen I think when it combines with ink/marker. I'd be willing to work on pen for sure, it's handy to practice with when I want to make less mental mistakes. Thank you!

i don't mean to be harsh but maybe try to draw more and maybe think less... you seem to think through things a lot more than actually do things...
    sorry i'm not helpful. i think this approach is good especially in working with anatomy books...

really sorry if this sounded mean or anything. i just wanted to be honest and try to be helpful...
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

That's ok, I had the same problem in another area and alot of people tell me this to not think so much, it's a personal habbit.

I'll be doing some practices on my own now. I remember seeing your post about anatomy, so I'll start with that one first and try to get some work done.

ok good :3 i'm happy you get my point.

hope to see your art soon :3
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

I don't really have much in the way of critique all has been mentioned that I thought about, I really like the way you sketch and colour that peice you put up, I think I would have to agree mostly with bunny though, maybe try some random scribbles or something to loosen yourself up and disengage the brain slightly, it helps me anyway sorry if this is completely useless to you, nice art work

Thank you Demonfyre, I haven't gotten into scribbles too often unless I get really bored. The way I draw is liner, but to get that sketchy loose type drawings I would have to do them once an awhile without thinking too much. Your guys comments aren't useless, I really take my time to listen and I try different methods to learn somthing different. I truly appreciate it.

Now for the main post, it's nothing too special, but I was trying to practice perspectives. I did not use a single peice of reference, but rather of what I know from memory and sketched out a scene depending on what I felt. A couple errors noted like, the dish in the right corner looks off to me. I'm having slight problems relating to objects that are rounder or smooth. Then again I could draw a cube and put the object in it to help with that as well. Hope it's a bit interesting...

I was also reading up the book some of you may posted (or one, forgive me D: ) by andrew loomis and I got pretty interested in his figure book dispite being a little old. I've seen how taller figures do make a huge difference, so I'll draw taller figures for future studies, thank you all for telling me this!