Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Movies?

I just saw drive. I really want a racer jacket now.

I just caught this movie (I think the director's American...idk) on the humble like on IFC or some shit called AnotherEarth. This movie gave me hope for American filming.

You guys probaly think its crap...at least the movie snobs...but its actually really good drama if you ask me.

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    I was thinking.
    Has there ever really been a time where every movie released in a year or any time span for a specific region were all gems? Cheap entertainment that is easily understood will allways be the most popular. The less a person has to think about the meaning the better because people don't like to feel stupid. So making cheap cookie cutter splosion movies is easier than making thought provoking works of art for writers directors and studios. Making something that people will love that has depth and grabs most folks attention is possible but not as easy as aliens invade earth and one dude has the answer and know how to save everyone. It's not right or what most of us want for the world but it is the truth.

Sorry. Just don't get why people refer to the past like it was all cherry but the current state of just about anything is bleak or an all time low with little to no hope for the future. Have faith, dudes.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Couldn't agree more.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

new die hard dis february, so p sure this is the golden age of movies

Now see...if I EVER, ever,ever,ever had a problem with American film making, it would have to be the recycling of old movies. I just don't understand why...is it because we didn't have the special effects to properly portray the original writer/producer/director's vision? Are they trying to bring these great stories to a new generation? I just don't get that...make some new shit. idc if is bad...just make your own. I mean this of course for the mainstream filmmakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    Has there ever really been a time where every movie released in a year or any time span for a specific region were all gems?
    Just think about how many films are made per year, we mostly county Hollywood films but there are plenty of indie and author films made each year, which I would dare to state that more than 800 films are made per year in USA, just in USA. If you think how long the film industry is being around (100 years approx) you would have a crazy amount of films only on the USA film production, which only a 0.5% (and even less) would be considered GEMs, and many others would be unnoticed gems.

http://cdn3.chartsbin.com/chartimage...73e2d6f321ef7f

Cheap entertainment that is easily understood will allways be the most popular. The less a person has to think about the meaning the better because people don't like to feel stupid. So making cheap cookie cutter splosion movies is easier than making thought provoking works of art for writers directors and studios. Making something that people will love that has depth and grabs most folks attention is possible but not as easy as aliens invade earth and one dude has the answer and know how to save everyone.
    It's basically the Cultural Industry proposed by Theodor Adorno and Walter Benjamin (I recommend to read it, its quite interesting). But you see, we are only counting Hollywood films, when USA has many more types of film industry, the problem is not that much that Hollywood films existe and do these shitty movies, but rather that the mediums were we get our information about films mostly show Hollywood films making Author films or independent films completely unnoticed. Just look your newspaper and watch the news, and in the section of entertainment look how much time they give to hollywood films and see how much time they give to Author and Independent film making. Wouldn't be nice to watch the news and 1/3 of the time would be for hollywood films, other 1/3 for author films and the final time for regional or national films makings?

The other problem which is not a big problem anymore, was that most theater show hollywood films, and rarely author films. But this is not a big problem anymore, or better said, its becoming less of a problem thanks to the internet, piracy and netflix, they are basically open the eyes of the audience willing to get their eyes opened. This is also why soo many directors and film makers are not again piracy, and only the bunch who have petrified work on Hollywood.

Sorry. Just don't get why people refer to the past like it was all cherry but the current state of just about anything is bleak or an all time low with little to no hope for the future. Have faith, dudes.
    To be fair, because I agree with you at certain extention. Hollywood film making was better.

Now, its not just because there were more original content, but rather because Hollywood tried to do some progress on genres, just look the whole western genre, it changed and rebuild itself thanks of Hollywood soo much that it was even subdivided in eras. And obviously if you compare such an active production with the now passive production of films, is kinda fair that Hollywood was better before (it was also the godfather of invisible montage, and there is almost no movie that doesn't use it now).

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Shaggie View Post
    Now see...if I EVER, ever,ever,ever had a problem with American film making, it would have to be the recycling of old movies.
    Yeah, new generations should go and watch the old movies even so the leap of context on history and technology is soo big that they might not understand what is going on. They remake movies because they want to keep the good movies still alive on the mind of people, its the introduction to new generation, who if they really enjoy it, they are going to get more in deep with the original source, and if you made them watch the original on the first try they will probably wouldn't want to watch it because of the big leap of contextual technology and technique in film making. Right now we see as something quite normal the invisible montage, in such a point that we don't know any other kind of montage, if you made a 13 years old movie watch a movie that has almost none invisible montage he would get lost or claim that the movie is soo old it should be in a museum.

I agree in certain points, when the remakes are ungraceful, and this goes for both old movies and foreign films. Because when you are doing a remake just for the remake, just to gain money or just because you believe the original source is not good enough for you to gain money, and you just make a ungraceful remake, then I find all the logic for people to get mad.

Finally, if you watch a good trailer that rise your hopes, don't say something like "This movie gave me hope for American filming." its just laughable and trust me, if you really care about USA films, you have google and you are going to find that there are A LOT of good movies.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    I just saw drive. I really want a racer jacket now.
    man isn't it rad?

also I could've streamed it but whateva

Quote Originally Posted by Hayashida View Post
    man isn't it rad?

also I could've streamed it but whateva

It was on netflix so I watched it. I'd watch it again tho, I liked it a lot. Really taught me about taking things into my own hands you know what I mean.

We should watch a bosozoku movie.

Last edited by jubeh; 11-17-2012 at 11:00 PM.

yeah its a rad movie. And I'd be down for watching a bosozoku movie. I've seen Godspeed You Black Emperor tho