Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Movies?

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    I just started reading do androids dream of electric sheep yesterday. I didn't actually like bladerunner, though I've heard there's like 500 versions of it. But the book is rad.
    The Director's Cut is, IIRC, the best version. The Final Cut is also worth watching. Any version without the voice-over narration is worth watching, really. It's the theatrical cut that is really unwatchable.

Is it out on blu-ray yet? I actually don't have a blu-ray player ATM so I haven't followed too closely but the blu-ray screenshots of it looked fucking phenomenal.

All that said - Blade Runner is not an easy movie. I can understand and respect someone not liking it. It's very meandering, surreal, and dream-like in its pacing, all with good reason, but the end result is something very surreal and dream-like that doesn't appeal to everyone. The best description of the movie's 'feel' and pacing is one from a fellow Goon - 'it's a movie that doesn't really care whether or not you watch it.'

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

I didn't like it because the narration was too grating. I've never made it all the way through because of it

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    The narration is the theatrical cut. The unwatchable cut. None of the other cuts have it.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    http://collider.com/prometheus-blade...ection/200699/

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, end of the thread.

Jeez. Why?
    Maybe stuffs to be made for deviants soon
    http://trnal.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    The Director's Cut is, IIRC, the best version. The Final Cut is also worth watching. Any version without the voice-over narration is worth watching, really. It's the theatrical cut that is really unwatchable.

Is it out on blu-ray yet? I actually don't have a blu-ray player ATM so I haven't followed too closely but the blu-ray screenshots of it looked fucking phenomenal.

All that said - Blade Runner is not an easy movie. I can understand and respect someone not liking it. It's very meandering, surreal, and dream-like in its pacing, all with good reason, but the end result is something very surreal and dream-like that doesn't appeal to everyone. The best description of the movie's 'feel' and pacing is one from a fellow Goon - 'it's a movie that doesn't really care whether or not you watch it.'

That's coincidental that Jub. is reading that book, cause I've started reading it about a week ago...

Also, I enjoyed the movie, so I'm hoping I enjoy the book, too. I like it thus far (chap. 8).

**Movie topic** My friend and I went to see Looper, which was an okay movie, but I found a major plot hole (which, smarter people can find more, I'm sure.) I'm putting in spoilers, so don't read unless you don't care.

SPOILER! :
    If people in the future have to go through so much bullshit to kill someone because of "tagging," then how were they able to kill Willis' Chinese wife and get away with it? Why would they have to send him back in time, but not the woman? I mean, yeah it was a frickin' accident...but it still leaves need for an explanation.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

That was the same thing that annoyed me about Looper. The whole reason for the time travel element was kind of dumb :/
    That and...
    SPOILER! :
    Why the hell would they have loopers close their own loop if it causes so many problems? Why not just send the looper to a different looper to be killed... The looper whose loop is closed can still get their golden payday or whatnot.

It was still a good movie to watch, but it's definitely not the best time travel movie ever like several critics have claimed.

I always felt that making a time travel movie is dangerous and risky, the whole concept of time travel is hard to argument and even if its well done it still rise too many valid questions. So if you make time travel a relevant element on your story you are always going to have to face the hard reality that its pretty hard to make a time travel movie.

Is not like you can make a Donnie Darko or Primer so easily. And even Donnie Darko was just luck, the director didn't want to make a time travel movie but rather a super hero movie that basically went wrong but made as a great psychological thriller about time travel, and let's not talk about Primer which is almost impossible to watch, and I find that its that element (being almost impossible to watch) what saves it from any argumentation critique, as you need soo much of yourself to understand the movie that its hard to also find plot holes on it.
    Last edited by ClockHand; 10-17-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Only noticed quite recently that there's a been a graphic novel version of Do Androids Dream...?, should anyone fancy it. The art didn't really grab me, but I gather it's a pretty faithful adaptation.

Have you guys seen this

http://bechdeltest.com/

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Yeah, and I just saw a movie a week or two ago that surprisingly passed.