Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: The LOVE-thread

1/2 meter

Princess of Default Victories pajamajam's Avatar
    That would be hilarious. He's 5'-4", and I'm 5'-11".

Maybe it's just my experiences with online relationships, long distance is a bitch. I met my partner though the company I work for, it just seemed to work out better for me. Obviously be careful if you choose to do seek love online. :>

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    @Bya: Any sort of distance without an easy means of communication sucks. Maybe try a dating site, if you want, but make sure the range is pretty damn local. (At which point, it probably just makes more sense to look for flesh and bone boys.)

Quote Originally Posted by pajamajam View Post
    That would be hilarious. He's 5'-4", and I'm 5'-11".
    You are cruel to wear heels. xD
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Princess of Default Victories pajamajam's Avatar
    You'd think so, Bacon, but he doesn't mind. I've been assured that he thoroughly enjoys the view he gets when I add the extra few inches to my height.

Dating sites can be good if you're usually pretty reserved, don't like to or can't get out much, or if there's not much to do in your area. In the town where I lived at the time I met Jay, you had to drive at least half an hour in any direction if you wanted to do anything besides go to a bar or to the lake. Since fishing by yourself isn't exactly a huge invite for people to come talk at you and bars aren't the greatest places to meet someone you want to spend more than one night with, the options there were kind of limited. Dating coworkers is a recipe for disaster, and I worked at a smallish town Walmart at the time so I didn't exactly have the cream of the crop to choose from.

I met my current partner on a dating site! We've been together about a year and a half. They were the first person from the site I met in meatspace, too, though I was on there on and off for about a year before I met them. Apparently around one in five relationships start online, too, which is p. cool. (Also I should point out: I'm 21 now and was 19 when I met them; online dating isn't just done by older people).

Internet dating pros:

1) Meeting people that straight off of the bat you have something in common with; in my profile I wrote a lot about my activism and political action because that stuff is important to me, avoiding all of the "hey, you're really cute!" *ten minutes later* "and THAT is why we need to undermine heteropatriarchal relations of oppression. Hey, where are you going? Why are you climbing out of that window? But we're on the third floor...!"

2) Talking to people prior to being in a date-type-scenario. Less pressure = more calling your sister and begging her to proofread your reply to hotgirlwholikescats no#34

3) The site that I used, OKCupid, has around 30 million total users and around 1 million users active at any one moment. That's a lot of fish, arranged in a conveniently searchable sea.

4) I don't know about you guys, but since I left college my meeting-people-to-potentially-date pool went way down. I either have known people for years, they're people I work with, or I've already dated them.

Cons:

1) Oh, boy, so: dickpics and creepy messages. If you look even slightly like a girl, or like you're interested in men, or like you have a pulse, you will get creepy, uncomfortable, unsolicited messages and dick pics from men who just don't understand 'boundaries'. I don't know why; when, ever, has a disembodied and unasked for member incided a person to cry "yes, yes, take me now sooohung69! The artful use of your iphone camera just has me weak at the knees!"?

2) Lots of meandering, pleasant enough but not that interesting conversations from people you probably would 'click' with in real life. I myself am a keyboard aficionado and like to bring any lass within my vicinity to blushing excitement with a simple "hey how u lol", but not all of us are so blessed, and sometimes the charm and flow of natural conversation is simply stilted and awkward when held between two strangers on a dating website. It's a law of physics.

3) People use the relative anonymity of the internet to do some terrible things to other people, whether they're scammers looking to trick you out of money or catfish with other reasons. Keep yourself as safe as you can. If you're going to meet someone do it in a public space, where there will be lots of people, and let everyone know where you're going and when you're planning on coming back.

4) ok: first dates with people you've only ever spoken to online are going to be awkward. People have different mannerisms than you expect, they will always look different than their photos, even if only slightly, and it's intimidating as hell to be on a date anyway, let alone all the extra worry of trying to 'live up' to the preconceptions you have about each other.

Honestly, if you're thinking about trying internet dating, I say go for it. If you're interested in meeting someone, online is a totally viable way of doing that! (Seriously: my partner is one of five kids and all of them met their partners online.)

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Internet dating pros:

5) If you're lucky, distance won't be an issue

Cons:

5) Distance
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

I tried online dating once and I got murdered so

Rest in piss jubeh

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Internet dating pros:

5) If you're lucky, distance won't be an issue

Cons:

5) Distance
    God yeah, the one time I dated this girl who I met on tumblr that was just never going to work. Hence going the actual dating site route so that I can be like "if you don't come to [my city] regularly or live here that's not going to happen"

P.S Jubeh I thought we weren't going to tell people about that :/