Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls Online

Elder Scrolls Online

So the early access for Elder Scrolls Online kicked off a few days ago and I just wanted to know if anyone is playing or will be playing. My tag is reknarok and I'm part of the Ebonheart Pact.

By the way, if you're still on the fence about Elder Scrolls Online I'll just sort of let you know exactly what you're in for.

A lot of people made the mistake of going into the beta/game basically expecting Skyrim but online, myself included. That's a bad idea, you can't compare an MMO to a single-player or even co-op game.

But for my second beta round, I went in with a different mindset. An MMO with a heavy Elder Scrolls theme and now I'm having a blast. I've decided to go with a thief-type character, dual-wield, leather armour, sneaking, and all that stuff. It's awesome.

Not to mention the scenery, like wow seriously. It's awesome and very reminiscent of older Elder Scrolls games if you've played them.

Some things I feel should be outlined here:
    1. First and third person aspects supported.
    2. Active blocking with a right-click, active attacking with left-click.
    3. Weapon switching mid-combat.
    4. Access to only 6 skills per weapon set.
    5. Crafting in the game is a lot of fun, surprisingly enough.

So basically there's a quick rundown on ESO, if you're playing, gonna play, or might play, like I said I'm reknarok and I'm playing in the Ebonheart Pact.
    i wake up every morning and brush my teeth with rainbows after i piss excellence and wash my face with glory

Eh so the weapons work like they do in Guild Wars 2?

hmm i was very harsh on it my first go round... maybe i will give it another shot.

Sounds like a good time.

Cake: Yeah, it does.

Sylux: As an MMO, it's a lot of fun. And the content in it is staggering.

Morfedly: Soooooooo much fun.

Been thinking of going with the Daggerfall Covenant though, their starting areas from what I've been told is waaaaaaay better.
    i wake up every morning and brush my teeth with rainbows after i piss excellence and wash my face with glory

My main problem with MMOs is the "put up with getting killed constantly until you grind for better equipment" effect. "Click until it dies" is another one, but that's a bit rarer now.

What is it actually like to play? What do you spend most of your time doing? Are stealth, light armour and/or ranged attacks effective, or just a free hit before you're forced into melee?

I just got a new PC and I caught onto the skyrim bandwagon way too late, so I'm lookin' for a little something new.

Skyrim can be playable with the right mods

Honestly, I hated skyrim the first time, since it feels like a far easier and less complicated dark souls; But liked it far more on a second playthrough using a catperson for the night vision + bows. Stealth was one thing that game did far better than either oblivion or fallout 3. In other words, if you actually enjoy playing like Davy Crockett, it's not bad.

The neverwinter MMO... Now that was "perform task x until the numbers go up" alley. I'm more worried about it being similar to that than anything. Skyrim gave you dumb choices, but it gave you choices.

I highly recommend the combat retooling mods and location damage mods that make every encounter potentially deadly. Sneaking is kind of pointless out of the box since the game is so easy. If you get caught its basically, 'ok everyone line up so I can kill you.'

Might, but eh, a third playthrough is unlikely.

In other news, I'm hearing things about "quest hubs" and bright red hitboxes with elder scrolls online that's making me nope pretty darn fast now. The in-depth character creation stuff sounds cool, but being railroaded + number crunching is just a drag (and coincidentally the exact opposite of the things that were good about skyrim).