Thread: Here's your chance to rant....

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar

Here's your chance to rant....

*clears throat*
    (Been a while since I've been on here. Things have.... changed?)

Anyhows...
    I'm doing some mad fast sketches today, just brain flarps and such, mostly trying to work out characters for a new idea I had.
    and that idea revolves around....*drumroll please*

SAMURAI!

I haven't got specifics worked out too far yet, but I'm trying to decide on a setting...modern or trad./time period?

So....here's the question I have for you all. What are the most annoying things you find in Samurai stories. (Magical or non-magical)
    What sort of tropes/cliches/steroetypes just tick you off? What about some common pitfalls in the story/plot lines?

Feel completely liberal here, this is sort of just for fun. (and try not to pick on any one series too much please....xD)
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

The fucking kids who do samurai stories.

Obviously you people have superiority issues.....

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Clock, be nice.

But... uh... um... there are no samurai in the modern time period. Haven't been for a long time.

EDIT: And with good reason. Unless your country is often/always at war, you neither need or nor want a warrior class. The lass thing you want is lots of testosterone fueled guys with swords who really want to stab someone just sitting around your country with nothing to do.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Well, by modern setting we mean modern-ish. It's fantasy people, anything can happen.

Good fantasy still follows internal rules and logic. Bad fantasy - a perfect example in this case being Dominic Deegan - does not.

If you set a story in the modern day with samurai you could do it, sure. But you would need to justify to the audience how/why a peaceful country supports a warrior class, and how that warrior class manages to function using swords in a world with, among other things, guns.

Fantasy is not about ignoring rules. It's about changing the existing rules or making up new ones. Consistency and internal-logic are still necessary.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

One way you could pull it off is to have the samurai be some sort of guards or police. And to justify the use of swords, you could create conditions in which guns would be ineffective, or you could eliminate them entirely. Maybe your people haven't discovered gunpowder or something.

Also, I just read some Dominic Deegan. At the very least, it makes me feel much better about my own art and writing.

Yes. Exactly. Just, again, don't confuse 'fantasy' with 'I can do whatever I want, whenever I want.' because you can't. Everything needs rules, although they need not be the rules of real life.

And, yes, Dominic Deegan is, in my opinion, the single worst effort in creative endeavor I have ever seen. I am aware of literally nothing else so awful. But that's a thread for another time.

Dominic Deegan? Never heard of it... (for good reason, I suppose...maybe I'll check it out as a confidence-booster some time)

IF I decide to set this in a "modern" setting, it would be more like an alternate universe. So, for example, clothes and lifestyles would stay the same but technology and transportation would still be rather "old-school. (This could be explained by the lack of need for these things due to the magic in the world or whatever.)
    On the one hand, it would be interesting (to me) to do a setting like this, but on the other...well, it might not fit my story. I don't know for sure yet since this is all just inklings I've had lately.

Anyhow, back to the matter at hand...
    So bad fantasy, meaning natural laws and order that are just completely ignored, contradicted, or otherwise trampled in the place of making something "look cool.
    What other tropes or ticks do you see in Samurai-style manga/anime that just annoy the hell out of you?
    Would like to know, from a discussion standpoint

Quote Originally Posted by theAnimeRebel View Post
    What other tropes or ticks do you see in Samurai-style manga/anime that just annoy the hell out of you?
    The complete glorification of the samurai way of life.