Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: BV's Humble Corner (NEEDS HELP p11)

@JJ: Thanks! I redid the hair just like you said. thank you for the constant help you guys offer me.

@demonfyre: NOTED! Thanks! I redid it like you said. Although i didn't really reduce the amount of gradients i used, I lightened them a bit... Also the hair and the eyebrows (I almost forgot about them) do really need a lot more work. Really big thanks. you guys help me improve everytime you say something.

This is the edited version. I hope I would hear more tips on coloring, especially soft cell shading.

The hair was a hard thing to do. I had to redo it for a couple of times. This practice helped me learn a lot about my style. Now i know the techniques i should use to tackle that annoying hair details. But still, I should improve on this technique. Hair still looks lousy.

Qayin Khevah Head Shot

Original Sketch:
    SPOILER! :
    Last edited by BunnyVoid; 10-05-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

I agree with what's already been said, the skin shading seems pretty good, although i'm a little confused as to your light source - his left side of his neck is in shadow, whereas the left side of his face isnt, and the light extends really high up his neck on his right, whereas similar place in his face is in shadow - basically, it seems like there's a frontal light source on his face, and a light source to his right on his neck.

The lineart itself is awesome though, as well as all those sketches in your previous post - i cant believe you can draw all that in such a small amount of time!!

edit - you posted your new picture whilst i was writing my message! the hair looks much better with more variation in colours - although what i said about the inconsistent light source is still there, as now both sides of his head is in shadow, and the top in light, suggesting another light source to how his face and neck is shaded

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsfade View Post
    I agree with what's already been said, the skin shading seems pretty good, although i'm a little confused as to your light source - his left side of his neck is in shadow, whereas the left side of his face isnt, and the light extends really high up his neck on his right, whereas similar place in his face is in shadow - basically, it seems like there's a frontal light source on his face, and a light source to his right on his neck.

The lineart itself is awesome though, as well as all those sketches in your previous post - i cant believe you can draw all that in such a small amount of time!!

edit - you posted your new picture whilst i was writing my message! the hair looks much better with more variation in colours - although what i said about the inconsistent light source is still there, as now both sides of his head is in shadow, and the top in light, suggesting another light source to how his face and neck is shaded
    i think the light source is above him (slightly to the left, but still near he middle) so shadow falls on the neck too. i may need to add more shadow to the other parts of the neck to demonstrate that. lol. thanks shadow! you're always so informative.

I used doanminhman's guide btw. its nice, i've been using this for weeks...
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso

That is a massive improvement! Well done!

It does look a lot better! I've outlined a few places where you could add some darker shading:
    SPOILER! :

Thanks all!
    I incorporated that redline you made. Here's the revised version...

QAYIN KHEVAH COLORED FACE

Original post to see improvement.
    SPOILER! :

Really your comments are very helpful! I'm learning a lot.

I applied what I learned with Qayin Khevah.
    I tried to improve lighting, and eyes (the iris coloring style is different). This took like only an hour to color. I'm almost surprised. Hair isn't that hard anymore! wohooo.

HAVEL KHEVAH COLORED FACE

Original sketch
    SPOILER! :
    Last edited by BunnyVoid; 10-06-2012 at 06:53 AM.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)

They both look very nice! Great job! I think you should work on the shape of the ear, especially the inside details.
    Last edited by JJJorgie; 10-06-2012 at 08:49 AM.

The colouring on that last one is very good, particularly on his hair. I feel that his ear may be slightly too small for the rest of his face, but it's not a big deal.

Nice work! I think you could make the lines for the nose bridge and under lip a little more transparent slightly, try it out and see it it makes it look better. Also yeah to keep up with the rest of your style I think you should work on the details of the ears and their colouring

Thanks all! Yes I do have to practice face proportions more. I also have to read more on lighting, shading and coloring. Maybe some more real life observation and sketching practice every now and then.

My style is not yet too solid but I will work on it. I'm really thankful with your comments. Its helping a lot.

I just wanted to share my new workflow. I think its pretty efficient, since I am able to save time with it. Although I'm comparatively slower when using the tablet (vs pencil), i think its becoming easier by the day... Here's a work in progress with Qayin Khevah's basic design.

1. Conceptualizing, Thumbnail and Sketch - 5min
    2. First Additional Sketch - 3 min
    3. Second Additional Sketch - 5 min
    4. Inks and more details - 2 hours
    5. Lighting Resource and etc. - 2 min
    6. Basic colors (used mouse and lasso) - 20 min

One very important thing I learned today is how to increase my efficiency with my drawing process.

Drawing out thumbnails for poses saves a lot of time and puts so many ideas on paper at once. The images in my head are translated better on paper. After that, I pick out my favorite pose (I picked the simplest). Also it helps if I don't dwell in one pose thumbnail. Continuously erasing and tweaking little poses is not practical. I just have to make multitudes of thumbnails.

On pc, I realize that erasing over and over eats a lot of time. Its about not erasing while in the sketch/design phase. Just add layers. I only used the eraser in the inking and basic coloring stage and that's about it...

I also organize my layers. Its almost second nature to me when using Photoshop so i cant help it.
    Here's an example with the Havel Face Coloring I did. This is how i nest my layers, i also color code them and put them into folders, so when I leave it for some time, I can get back at it with ease. Also, its good practice if I'm planning to collaborate with another artist.

The layers with arrow heads indicates that its masked with the layer its nested to (bottom layer, I name them 'Base'). Masking saves a lot of time. To convert layer into a clipping mask simply CTRL+ALT+G. With this technique, I don't even bother erasing (unless really necessary) after I've set the the basic colors clipping mask.

I also made some time to finally standardize the colors that I'll be using for my characters, I made several palettes using rio's tutorial

This is my Basic Palette. Good for practice shading.

I'm just sharing by the way. I'm not saying this is the right way to do stuff. Its just the way I do it... it may be too complicated for some.

For now, that's all. I'm still working with this drawing. Hopefully, with this new workflow, I'll be able to make character sheets soon.

And again, I have to thank everyone for helping me out. Especially jjjorgie, shadow and demonfyre. I've only been here for a short time but is learning a lot from your simple yet insightful comments.

Any comments or suggestions to improve my current workflow is very welcome. Thanks again, everyone.

EDIT: I added some real quickies. This is how i thumbnail. I thumbnail a lot, i love doing them.

Each of the bigger sketches took like 5 minutes each...
    I merged them together so you would all see how i do the thumbnail things. its really helpful. Sometimes I make sequence of stick drawings (like for animation) for fun...

I made them during lunch time lol. I love making thumbnails. I also like picking out my favorites and giving em more details.

Btw I'm still doing the draw muscle group thing (for anatomy practice) before clothing. It doesnt show cause i'm really lighthanded. Its more visible with the shaded random guy #1.

I'm speeding up a bit with anatomy, unfortunately i have only studied the part for guys (in Burne Hogarth's book) When I find time and get passed beyond page 20 something then maybe you will see more girls lol.
    Last edited by BunnyVoid; 10-09-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)