Thread: Valtharen's artwork

Valtharen's artwork

I signed in here just today and, as I said in my presentation, I'm a beginner in manga style.
    Here's somes drawings that I made last few days :

Gun Girl By Valtharen (Web).jpg

I made this one today and I did not retouch it on computer. (I only cleaned it on Gimp)

1fWFOga.jpg

That one was made yesterday, and is a lot simpler, but I still like it.

Feel free to critique (that's the whole point of this section btw), I will need every advice.
    Last edited by Valtharen; 10-19-2014 at 02:12 PM.

just keep drawing yo, welcome to mt!

for starters, this is really good, especially because the poses are not as static as most would begin with.
    its also nice that you've made effort to draw the whole body. when i was beginning i only drew faces which was really bad for me as it stunted my growth as an artist.

so yeah, keep it up. just draw lots and never loose the inspiration to do more beyond what you can already do.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

Thank you BunnyVoid, this is exactly the type of message a beginner needs.
    Actually, they're not my first manga style drawing, I made lots of faces to get familiar with the style, I'll follow your advice and since I'm on holiday, I will have more time for drawing.
    Last edited by Valtharen; 10-20-2014 at 07:07 AM.

I'm not super good, in my own opinion i'm decent but nowhere close to good yet, to the point tho.

I think it varies from individuals as how you can become a better artist, better mangaka, better sport player etc.
    If i'll speak bluntly, for myself. I think that getting a real good grip of how to draw full face, having a good hair & shade technique will make it more easier to later learn anatomy.
    If i'll chop it up, it's both not fun and not inspirational when you jump straight into anatomy and draw full body characters which will probably look ugly if a person has never been into lots of drawing before, as the anatomy is really really hard to learn, i myself am at the learning process and i'm still learning faces, the anatomy is extremely hard.
    So my advice maybe, as a fellow beginner is, pick your favourite character, and draw a face of him, choose the same character, but different picture every time. That, has boosted my face techniques a lot.
    The most important thing is tho, self-evaluate and study your own drawings EVERY TIME. Take notice, write down points that you've done badly on your latest drawing, focus to make those points better on your next drawing, always study and always learn your mistakes from your latest drawings.
    I think, one of the biggest points for motivation and inspiration, is when you catch those points of yours, and you can actually see the improvements on them, in your next drawing, that's amazing and that's what gets me drawing like a maniac, cheers

Hello,

Valtharen > I do not mean to contradict what Taeyeong is saying, but you can just take whichever advice you would find the most suitable for your taste...It is much more important to draw what you LIKE. First of all, As BunnyVoid said, I think this is a good start, in my opinion it's good to start with a full body shoot ... but you just need to learn more about anatomy and body proportion (I guess I am also in the same boat as you), just learn as much as you can from muscles to the bones. I already gave these advices that comes from my small experience but I am much more happy about my drawing now even if there is still a lot of room for improvement...It is true it takes time, so better start right now rather than waiting for you to develop wrong habits...here are some web pages I found very useful and there are hundred of other useful pages on the web not to mention that mangatutorial itself has a very long list of things you can do to improve anatomy...http://animeworld.com/howtodraw/bodies1.html , http://books.google.de/books?id=zPSi...rilley&f=false

- - - Updated - - -

Taeyeong > It's Ok to try drawing your favourite anime character and draw faces only to start with but in my case I just cannot focus on copying the drawing, I am too distracted and rather just want to contemplate and enjoy how beautiful the art is... the more experienced people says that you can copy to learn but then you will have to find your own style anyways...no matter where you start, I believe you can always end up somewhere...but the most important thing is of course, to make yourself happy
    Last edited by Nomena; 10-21-2014 at 10:03 AM.
    Always searching for source of inspiration...
    Nomena

Thanks both for your advices !

Nomena > I put your pages into my favorites, I'm sure they'll be of great use to me.

Taeyelong > You're right, reproducing anime characters can help at the beginning, especially when you don't really know Manga style. I'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomena View Post
    Hello,

Valtharen > I do not mean to contradict what Taeyeong is saying, but you can just take whichever advice you would find the most suitable for your taste...It is much more important to draw what you LIKE. First of all, As BunnyVoid said, I think this is a good start, in my opinion it's good to start with a full body shoot ... but you just need to learn more about anatomy and body proportion (I guess I am also in the same boat as you), just learn as much as you can from muscles to the bones. I already gave these advices that comes from my small experience but I am much more happy about my drawing now even if there is still a lot of room for improvement...It is true it takes time, so better start right now rather than waiting for you to develop wrong habits...here are some web pages I found very useful and there are hundred of other useful pages on the web not to mention that mangatutorial itself has a very long list of things you can do to improve anatomy...http://animeworld.com/howtodraw/bodies1.html , http://books.google.de/books?id=zPSi...rilley&f=false

- - - Updated - - -

Taeyeong > It's Ok to try drawing your favourite anime character and draw faces only to start with but in my case I just cannot focus on copying the drawing, I am too distracted and rather just want to contemplate and enjoy how beautiful the art is... the more experienced people says that you can copy to learn but then you will have to find your own style anyways...no matter where you start, I believe you can always end up somewhere...but the most important thing is of course, to make yourself happy
    Yes i totally agree with you, but.
    Creating your own style of drawing, your own style of manga, will take a lot of years however you start anyhow.
    For me, the difference is, when i draw characters out of my own imagination RIGHT NOW, they turn out really ugly, because i don't know the proper hair technique and ideas of how different characters can vary.
    For example, being able to draw Ichigo, Naruto, Luffy, Kaneki, Eren, Lelouch, Goku, Death Note, perfectly. Will give me the ability to think out of my own box, which would be empty if i'd right of the bat start to create my own characters.

By learning different styles, reading different mangas, studying the lines & art, will basically give you a boost you will not be able to get from anywhere else.
    When you draw, you create characters with your mind, basically you first draw them inside your head, together with all the details & later on trying to express that on paper. Knowing different styles and being decently adapted to different styles of both hair and faces = characters, will make your own drawings, have its own "character" Which i think is really important.
    Not to mention, in my opinion i think, the best way to forge your own style of manga, is to sincerely study, and draw all of the popular mangas out there, all of the unique one shots, and after a while you will be able to fuse together the points from different mangas which fits you & create your own kind of style

Anyhow, i totally agree tho, Valtharen should take notice to all of our tips, but he should choose the one that he/she feels will suit him best, we're all different^^
    Last edited by Taeyeong; 10-21-2014 at 03:36 PM.