Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: BV's Humble Corner (DUMP p10)

101 Dalmations Member Midori-Midori's Avatar
    Wow, that's amazing!
    You put lots of thought and consideration into your art, that's a really good skill to have. I like there is a reason for many things in your artwork. Keep it up! And great job on the study of the hand,

Recently I've actually started watching an anime called 'Magi - Labyrinth of Magic', and in it there is a little boy who attracts butterflies(for lack of a better explanation). In a recent episode, they explained that they had something to do with spirits and souls, and at first I thought that the author had made it up or something. But I didn't know it was actually true :O That's really cool, I like this concept of butterflies.

good job on the studies! you may have twisted that torso a bit too much, however

love your stuff, you have such neat handwriting too

Regular Member whenrabbitsattack2.0's Avatar
    Those hand studies looked great! I have a warning though,for when it comes to studying the skeletal structure of the hand. becuase of the fact that in a skeletal drawing, the phalanges (fingers) are joined to the metacarpals (palm bones) it has a tendency to make you percieve fingers as being slightly longer than they really are. Trust me, it happens. When doing skeletal studies, It seems like a good idea to lightly sketch the flesh around the bones, since the pads on the palm actually change the shape of the hand quite a bit.

I'd never heard of the butterfly thing before either, but that actually sounds really awesome. Alot of anime/manga writers chose an inherently masculine animal to accompany a male protagonist, like a wolf, bear, lion Ect. But the symbolic significance of the butterflies seems way more awesome to me then just advertising that he's got balls :P
    great stuff

Also i just remembered, did you pick up the weed-chan thing from outcast? that's destined to haunt me forever, lol >.<
    collectin my fav quotes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    I wasn't aware breasts were sentient and capable of independent movement
    Quote Originally Posted by theAnimeRebel View Post
    Sheesh, you people and your superiority issues.

Those hands are awesome, I should probably do that same :P

@midori-chan : thanks :3 I love thinking through things first before drawing hehehe... i'm glad you like it. as for the anime, i haven't seen it yet but i'll be sure to check it out...
    @toast : thanks, I will continue to work on my anatomy when i find time hehe... Currently i'm reading through anatomy books by Bridgman and Peck side by side...
    @Cloudy : thanks :3
    @weed-chan : hehee its such a cute name. i'll keep your suggestion on hand anatomy in mind...
    @Demonfyre : thanks james :3 you are always helpful. sorry been away for a while...

My life is suddenly so busy... so many appointments, errands, meetings, old friends, new friends, family affairs and etc... I haven't posted anything in the past days but i've been drawing little quick sketches here and there... but for now i will only post an update of my btooom artwork... its not yet finished but i have penciled the older one

OLDER one below
    SPOILER! :

Comments on anatomy would be extremely helpful specifically on tackling foreshortening from imagination, no refs... i don't like drawing pose from picture references because it takes too much time and almost always end up stiff. Instead i resort to studying how body is constructed (anatomy books) and re envisioning in my head it in 3d form. I also do quick life gesture drawings when i'm outside so maybe that helps. I try to complement these two practices together so that i learn anatomy. Unfortunately, my imagination lacks detail (precise location of bones, and joints).

i know its lazy and not good practice but i don't really draw this for school or anything, just fun for myself... so recommendations on tackling bodies in perspective, its construction and composition is probably more fit for me.

i am also bothered by the amount of detail that i should put in the background elements (trees behind, forest below, beach, cliffs...)
    Last edited by BunnyVoid; 11-08-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

Be aware of those pants, with the bag covering his body it look like he is sit on the tail of his butt. It look good on most things, some stuffs bothers me with the hands, the relationship between head, hair and neck and the weight of the shoe over the rock, but it looks good for a sketch.

Now about the elements on the landscape that are bothering you, it all depends on the finality of the picture. If you aim to use a highly detailed landscape, like Takehiko Inoue, for comic panels, then good look, you are going to become insane, trust me. But if you want it for just one specific image, you can give as much thought as you want. Its all depend on the finality and how its presented, remember that human mind have the tendency to fill empty spaces, reason why you never need to draw every single piece of grass.

Regular Member whenrabbitsattack2.0's Avatar
    I normally don't bother being particularly precise with forshortening people when I'm sketching unless its practice for a finished sketch, or it's a rather complex pose. however, a good way to look at it that i personally find better then the cuboid structure is to imagine the main parts of the body as a loaf of bread. If you want your perspective and forshortening to be perfect, Identify your horizon and draw the bread shapes in perspective using vanishing points. if you wanna try and fake it till you make it, Try drawing the character as an anatomical sketch, changing the size of various muscles as the distortion calls for.I'm kinda lazy when comes to perspective (because I reaaally don't like it) so i normally just rough out a figure in single point and amplify the persepctive with well-placed belts and hemlines, underlining the upwards or downwards bulge of the figure (depending on whetehr you're looking up at them or down)

did any of that make sense? I don't feel particularly coherent at this point on time.... >.>
    I'm not exactly your resident expert on perspective, but i hope this helps :3
    collectin my fav quotes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    I wasn't aware breasts were sentient and capable of independent movement
    Quote Originally Posted by theAnimeRebel View Post
    Sheesh, you people and your superiority issues.

For the background detail, I feel like your composition is making things far harder for you than they need to be. I like to see detail in a background, but at the moment, there's so much detail that the central figure is rather lost.

Personally, I'd just fill the shapes for the foliage in the foreground with a very dark shade of green (possibly even black), perhaps leaving a few highlights around the edges to help give it shape. If you then make the lines in the middle ground stronger, while leaving the farthest part lighter, the viewer's eye will immediately be drawn to where the character is sitting.

I've also cropped the image down a bit, just to give it balance and, again, to help draw attention to the figure.

thanks everyone... :3 heheh i will work those out in the vacation along with the anatomy problems et all. Really thanks for your wonderful critique and recommendation...

sorry haven't been around. I fail i know...
    I haven't posted and i realize that my thread has died.

Been trying to do colors recently since i bought a new tablet... but not much to see lol... comment if you like just posting so that this doesnt die...

The color design of the character is a bit different from what i am used to doing. I really like it.

This one is a challenging piece in terms of color blocking

A wip

yeah i didn't improve much on anatomy... well i fail like that. *sigh.

BTW all of these are gifts for my friends... All character do not belong to me except for Havel Khevah (the one with red violet hair and bone armor)
    Zarra (c) ShiningLink
    Keith (c) Soulenite
    Iriven (c) MisteryCookie
    theyre from da...
    Last edited by BunnyVoid; 12-04-2012 at 12:19 AM.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/