Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: BV's Humble Corner (DUMP p10)

i bump so that you guys know its an update. hehe. I think its legal...

I'm still learning how to the shade and put shadows. Please comment and critique so that i know if this looks wrong or something.

without lights

with lights

also, i did this for a friend yesterday. this was random but i had lots of fun.

It took like ten minutes because I managed to not draw muscle groups and thumbnails this time. hehe. I sure enjoy sketching nowadays.
    Last edited by BunnyVoid; 10-09-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

Like I said in DA for the first, the hand on the hip is angles up too much as if it's broken.

For this sketch, that particular kicking pose looks really strange. I myself have never seen anyone kick like that, it seem a little unlogical (?) and considering where the guy being kicked's feet are, the one kicking must've been REALLY close to him (unless he got a running start, but with that pose, it would really really hard to get a running start into that pose)

Hiya. I've been meaning to comment on your thread for a while but just haven't had the chance. Very nice job with the line art in the first piece in your latest post. Even though I know the lighting is supposed to be coming from above to the left - I can't get a good read on exactly where the light is coming from in the piece. I think more of the right side would show up in the light. JJJorgie mentioned the hand on his hip seems a bit oddly placed and I agree. I also notice that you seem to do your hair very similarly for all of your pieces. I think it would look better if you maybe didn't define every tuft of hair. I hope you don't mind but I drew up a quick red-line under the spoiler to show you what I mean.

SPOILER! :

One last suggestion I would like to make is that you have a really nice sketching style. But the artistic energy is completely drained and sterilized when you ink it. I think that's why oftentimes we like how our sketches turn out but our inks look rather bland... at least I find that used to be the case for me. If you were to build upon your sketch rather than completely redoing it on another layer it may allow you to keep that artistic intent.

101 Dalmations Member Prince of Angels's Avatar
    Haha! Oh man, I think the little comic thing is really good. I have no crits atm though. :/
    I am the Prince of Angels, high monarch of the heavens, and I crush all those who stand in my way!
    Would you like some pie?

Thanks guys.

I have not updated in the past few days.
    But this is not due to my inactivity or whatsoever.
    Its more of me rethinking and reconsidering all the comments that has been made regarding my art. I had to reassess what has been working and what has not as to recreate my technique and further my understanding of my own style.
    I really appreciate all of your comments and this community's wealth in terms of critique and artistic opinion.
    I appreciate it to a point that I felt that whenever I post something, I had to incorporate something.

so here it goes.

Comments On Style
    from Rubisko on DA, he commented on my Work in Progress
    SPOILER! :

I hope you don't mind me saying this but;

What you are doing here is basically the same mistake as I did, as most people did, when they are in the very beginning of creating more refined work. The mistake is basically confusing clean and neat with refined. After a while I started to notice, by watching youtube speedpaints, that a lot of cool artwork were being created in a more spontaneous speedpaint. Then I made the second mistake, and again, I've seen a lot of people do the same thing, which is to confuse messy with spontaneous. Right now I'm somewhere in the middle of the two extremes, trying to find a balance. Maybe I'll be able to add a third mistake of mine to the list in the future, I don't know yet, but I thought that I should at least share this

Nonetheless, it's been interesting to see your process and how you think when you draw. Thanks for sharing
    from Nisaren
    SPOILER! :

One last suggestion I would like to make is that you have a really nice sketching style. But the artistic energy is completely drained and sterilized when you ink it. I think that's why oftentimes we like how our sketches turn out but our inks look rather bland... at least I find that used to be the case for me. If you were to build upon your sketch rather than completely redoing it on another layer it may allow you to keep that artistic intent.
    These were the biggest comments I got recently. I have to say that I agree. After analyzing my progress and technique, I realize that there are factors which lead me to this condition.
    - I am more accustomed with my pencils than my tablet.
    - My tablet lack the versatility of a pencil as a medium
    - Instead of spontaneously building from the sketch, I have a tendency to destroy, deviate, and re-envision my drawings.

I can't say I've already figured how to make things work but I do have tried some things.
    The following is a sketch for a friend in da. Its her character, Cain, and my Qayin.
    She did a drawing for me and I felt like I had to give something back.

15 MINUTE SKETCH Cain and Qayin
    I felt like i had to color it instantly to show her more of my appreciation.

2 HOUR COLOURS - Cain and Qayin
    as you can see, I didn't even bother to make a lineart. Although I wasn't serious with colors, I felt like coloring directly on the sketch had a good effect, besides saving on time and energy.

Now all I had to do is develop my sketching style some more.

Comments On Anatomy
    1. On Ears
    from jjjorgie: I think you should work on the shape of the ear, especially the inside details.
    from gaff: I feel that his ear may be slightly too small for the rest of his face, but it's not a big deal.
    from demonfyre: Also yeah to keep up with the rest of your style I think you should work on the details of the ears and their colouring
    SPOILER! :

So I do agree. I have to practice a lot more on ears and etc. Its still a problem area for me. I have yet to apply this to my drawings. I happen to always forget drawing the ears correctly because i time myself when I draw.

2. On Pose
    from dante in da: they are really great but the #1 legs are weired it looks that legs are displaced they arent perspective
    from demonfyre in da: Aesthetically they look great, but I think a few are a bit stiff? But this is probably down to the fact that they were quick sketches? I'm not sure, just trying to provide some feedback for you :3
    from jjorgie: For this sketch, that particular kicking pose looks really strange. I myself have never seen anyone kick like that, it seem a little unlogical (?) and considering where the guy being kicked's feet are, the one kicking must've been REALLY close to him (unless he got a running start, but with that pose, it would really really hard to get a running start into that pose)
    SPOILER! :

I agree too. The poses I make are still a bit too stiff. I just have to practice moar now. Recently I have been doing some poses which are kind of out of the comfort zone for me. They are still stiff but kind of trying to be more dynamic. I Here are few...

3. On Hands
    jjjorgie: the hand on the hip is angles up too much as if it's broken.
    nisaren: JJJorgie mentioned the hand on his hip seems a bit oddly placed and I agree.
    dante13 in da: for drawing hands you can take a picture from your own hand and then draw it (i do it most of the time)
    I have been struggling with hands since forever. I know I must really practice it, especially the connection of the wrist to the actual palm of hand... These are some my practice sketches. i know, they're still kind of horrible. You don't know how much I hate drawing hands. lol. btw, i really got to thank dante for that suggestion. I have finally pursauded myself to get a webcam for my hand pictures lol.

4. On Hair
    Quote Originally Posted by nisaren View Post
    I also notice that you seem to do your hair very similarly for all of your pieces. I think it would look better if you maybe didn't define every tuft of hair. I hope you don't mind but I drew up a quick red-line under the spoiler to show you what I mean.
    SPOILER! :

HAVEL WORRIES - 3 minutes, hair is soft now and lightly done.

Cain (GrimCody's) and Qayin Smokes, I tried not to do clumping especially with GrimCody's character, because i didn't want to ruin her design. It also worked quite well with Qayin. I think I will stick to this style of hair drawing.

Comments On Females
    from demonfyre in da: Awesome! I take it you need to get used to drawing females again after such a long burst of Qayin and Havan? xD

These were the original drawings I had for Eira Seolfor, my OC.
    SPOILER! :
    I have finally had the motivation to draw females again. THanks to demonfyre. Its has been quite a struggle, to be honest.
    I have redrawn Eira.

EIRA SEOLFOR new outfit design

EIRA SEOLFOR - 3 minute sketch

Comments On Lighting
    Quote Originally Posted by nisaren View Post
    Even though I know the lighting is supposed to be coming from above to the left - I can't get a good read on exactly where the light is coming from in the piece. I think more of the right side would show up in the light.
    SPOILER! :

from shadowsfade: although what i said about the inconsistent light source is still there, as now both sides of his head is in shadow, and the top in light, suggesting another light source to how his face and neck is shaded
    SPOILER! :
    I have not really addressed comments on this area but I feel very thankful already. I feel that I have to practice and observe some more 3d before I fully understand this. This will probably a major concern in the future...

On the other hand, I still have lots of my regular Quick sketch sessions made during lunch

King Qayin - 5 minutes

King Qayin - 8 minutes

I know this is a lot, maybe too much lol. Please comment and suggest anything. Even the simplest comments are appreciated. Thanks again everyone. I have learned a lot in the weeks that I have stayed here.

That's all thanks again.
    Last edited by BunnyVoid; 10-15-2012 at 07:47 PM.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso

yeahhh so i'll bump. because i wanna leave the long post separate. please comment on that still... pls, i beg you...

i'll forever be thankful if somebody did. (it was such a long post i crafted ;_; i put all my knowledge in post making lol. the spoiler tags and quote tags and etc... i know its long... but i really wanted to incorporate all the comments and wanna see what you guys think. T.T if nobody comments i feel like sobbing now.)

maybe no one's interested in my works now. lol. i'll just cancel the request thing but you can pm me if you want something to get drawn.

In the meantime, I have a dilemma with my protagonist, Havel.

QUICK 5 minute sketches of Havel's Adult Clothes

I really have to finalize Havel's design so i could draw him full body like Qayin. lol. I still don't know what fits him.

Which is better?
    first one is inspired by vincent valentine from ff7
    second is inspired by gintoki sakata from gintama

ahhh its so hard. tho personally i like gintoki better than vincent but that's not a good basis...

Please help.
    Thanks in advance...

And just the usual random quickie sketch,

QUICK 3 minute sketch of Kira Toryu as girl

okay that's all...
    i hope somebody comments this time. sorry for sulking. the previous post was just hardwork. i can't shut up about it.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)

Sorry, the previous post was so long that I just couldn't really process it that well.

With this new post, I haven't read through your actual story so I don't know the main character too well. If he is more of a rogue, I'd go with A, but if he's supposed to come across as a more superior, sophisticated guy, I'd go with B.

The only thing that really sticks out at me about the girl is her arms. The far hand is on top of her arm which just looks and feels awkward. I'd tuck it in like you'd normally do when you cross your arms. The closest hand is a little awkward too. When you cross your arms, only the finger and (MAYBE) a bit of the back of the hand is visible, especially at a 3/4 view, not the entire hand and part of the wrist as you have it. Good job with her though. She came out very nicely!

I'm really liking how you're doing hair now and I like the colored sketch you did - you should try doing more of those. Also, you may get more requests if you post in the Recruitment and Requests sub-forum.

The biggest thing I see is just being more consistent in some of the facial features. For example, I notice that sometimes your character's eyes seem to be slightly cross-eyed in some cases. But over all, you're really doing nice work. Keep it up.

Something I wanted to know: What do you study?

@JJJorgie: yeah maybe I am also at fault at this. I shouldn't have made it so long lol. Sorry bout that. Sometimes i become too impatient... Thanks for the comment :3 I'm happy somebody took notice. lol. Really, thank you.
    Havel is like a rogue prince so maybe I'll do another combination. Thanks again.

@Nisaren: okay I'll take note of that, Especially the cross eye thing. Its only now that I notice that. thanks! your comments are always insightful. I'll keep on drawing. For now I'm trying to work on all the things you've said.

@Clockhand: landscape architecture (okay so please no misconceptions about gardening, its not just about that... T.T) I don't really like posting stuff on that hehe... Maybe when I get to construct the map and places for my project. thanks for the comment anyway

New design for Havel. Its getting frustrating now. I really don't know what he should wear.

Havel Outside Attire

Havel Inside Attire

He happens to be my main protagonist and I'm planning to draw him with Qayin in battle for the week's challenge...

i really have to wrap thing up for him. help. any insight about this and the previous attire would be awesome.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)