Thread: Nomena's drawings need some critiques

Nomena's drawings need some critiques

Hello guys,

I would appreciate some critiques on the following pictures. I am also learning how to use a pen and create some shadows so it would be great if you have some tips offer.

page8.jpg
    page15.jpg

Cheers
    Always searching for source of inspiration...
    Nomena

hi nomena, nice attempts on these drawings. i really appreciate the detail you put into them.
    maybe i'll throw in basic crits that everyone has to go through
    1. anatomy, ur general proportion of body is okay. i find a few parts misrepresented especially parts of the limbs like wrists shoulder blades and ankles. also be careful of in drawing the neck part,
    2. line quality. your strokes may need a lot more practice. i find them drawn with less confidence. see the example below. also differ the lineweights a bit. shadowed areas may need heavier lineweights same goes for parts which are nearer to the viewer. over inking details on clothes tend to distract viewer.

3. shading. good attempt but light source is not clearly portrayed. which i think is the most important aspect of shading.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

Hello BunnyVoid,
    Thanks a bunch for the remarks, especially on N°1, something about the anatomy made me really uncomfortable there, but I just couldn't figure it out and I got a little sad, maybe I will redraw her some day, she was my first drawing right after learning a bit about anatomy and proportion, so I like her very much ...

For now I am keeping on learning body poses and anatomy by drawing from real pictures that I find online...Oups! I forgot to mention here that N°9 was drawn from a picture, I already mentioned it in Artist Alley though so I hope that's OK....

I have a small question about N°9: do you think the position of her right leg is OK, I was really lost there...but I didn't know anymore what to erase and redraw so I just kept it like that

As for the lines, I guess I am really nervous about ruining the drawing and it's difficult to calm down...LOL...I draw everything with a pencil until I am fairly happy with it...but then I get scared of the pen (LOL) ... but I will keep practicing...thanks for the tip....
    Last edited by Nomena; 10-19-2014 at 05:04 PM.
    Nomena

Hi there!! To answer your question, I think the leg position is perfectly fine! However, I think you should add a little more structure to them. They look a little noodley.

Also, yes, pen are VERY scary! I've had many sketches ruined by a slip up with my ink. Here are two ways I combated it before I felt confidence in my inking:
    1) Made a scan of your sketch so you always have a copy of it if your ink doesn't come out right.
    2) Use a lightbox or a window with the sketch under another piece of paper and then just trace it with ink
    Just don't stop trying!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Thanks for the comments JJJorgie...I'll try some more muscle anatomy with the leg...the thing is also that I really don't like muscles on girls, neither on men also though, lol ... so I always try to minimise them as much as I possible whenever I can.
    Thanks for the tips about inking...oh, and yes I am not stopping until I get a hang of it
    Nomena

Keep in mind, I said "structured" not "muscular". A body can be structured without being muscular. It just means the lines of correctly shaped and formed. I've drawn up an example for you:
    Structure.png
    The one on the left, notice, is VERY similar to your's, but the lines are shaped slightly different, the knee stands out, and each parts connects differently from yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Ah...Ok, I see what you mean now, I'll try that, thanks
    Nomena