Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Problem Thread

101 Dalmations Member angel_dreamer13's Avatar
    um. how can I get my dad off my case. he wants me to get straight A's and go to this super high-class private school next year. =_=
    I'm pretty smart but straight A's is not happening, and I think I'd really hate private school.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Why not just tell your dad what you just said above?

I tried.
    he insists I could get A's if I put any effort into my schoolwork (I do) and every time I turn down a school he recommended he suggests something fancier and more demanding.

Why don't you try doing it? At least your parents are supportive when you want to go to private school rather than taking it as a personal attack...

Trust me, it's not like that Delphinus. I already transferred cross-continent, and I just got the hang of the new language. My grades are so-so, with a "B" average, whereas my IQ is 137. I feel caged because of the point that I cannot understand some literature on tests, however my parents say a "B" average is pretty good for someone who spent only five months learning the language. Everything seems to be getting better for me though, my grades have been rising because of the fact that I'm getting the hang of this language. The connection I am trying to bind is that Angel's school problems are similar to mine. I know your dad wants you to try it out, and you absolutely refuse, and that it tears away inside of you - the same thing happened when I moved. My best advice for you is to not give in, but not be too dominant to your parents. Just explain the cons of the school to them, and explain that this pressure will drop your grades if it reaches a dangerous point. Other than that, there was a small trick that I used to keep my straight-A-streak, if you want to get straight-A's. It is quite simple, but most everyone overlooks it: Listen closely to the teacher. That's all there is to it. Listen and take notes word-for-word. Write down every single example the teacher shows, even write comments that the teacher added in his/her speech. To succeed in academics, your #1 priority is to notice. However, this may not work out if you don't already have a grip on the subject. My suggestion for understanding a new subject is to either look it through in your text-book, talk to your teacher when you feel it is appropriate, or search it up on the web. Through all these don't forget one thing: follow your calling. If you want to stay in your current school, tell your parents why, and explain why a new school will be worse in everything. Don't fall victim to the same game I did.

Parents and grades and school >_>.... Sigh...

@M3S1H: wow, a B average is really good if you're taking tests in your second language. I usually get a mix of A's and B's but I'm expecting my grades to be a lot lower this semester since I was out sick a lot. I'm not that concerned with getting A's though, as long as my grades are above a C I don't really care much. it's mainly my dad wanting my grades to be higher so I can get into one of the schools he's chosen for me. which is my main problem, that he's choosing the school. I'd rather go to the local public high school so I can stay with my friends, and also because I think it's better suited to my needs. I can't seem to make him understand how important this is to me though.

Some parents are like that. I'm a teacher so I deal with things like this a lot. There's one of my student. She get 8 (from 10) in math. Her parents really angry with her, claiming that she must get at least 9. That's totally irrational... most student could only get 6, so 8 is very very good (hell, when I was a student, 5 was the best I could get).

The problem is to convince your parents that you already did all you can and you didn't regret getting B since it's already your all. And yeah, B is good enough, really...

Unless your parents is genetically enhanced human with super brain, so you also should inherit his super genes... (jk).

for some reason my dad seems to think that I'm much smarter than I actually am, which has led to a lot of problems with school in general over the years. I'm going to try talking to him about the school again though, we'll see how it goes.

Man I am hardcore in debt right now. Gonna be eating ramen and water for the next month or so.