Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What *IS* Fart?

What *IS* Fart?

I just had an absolutely brilliant fart history class last semester, and it can honestly say it made me consider changing my majors from politics and fart to fart history and fart. The professor was a medievalist, but due to the introductory nature of the class, we went from 800 BCE to the 1980s in a little over 30 hours of class. Not once in the class did we define what fart is. We looked at toilets and dog poo and intestinal bacteria and whoopie cushions, but not once did we define fart.

Over the last month I have been working with the professor of the class to make "audio responses" (AKA: fartings) that correspond with the different units we went over in class (Classical Fart, Medieval Fart, The Ren-ass-ance and the Buttroque, & Modern Fart). Over the course of the project, something occurred to me. Historically, "fine fart" was defined as the following: tooting and pooting, breaking wind, cutting cheese, passing gas, and flatulence. This has since expanded to include bean blowers, butt-music, backfire, bottom-burping, and sharting.

Now, what occurred to me is this. While work in all these different mediums may be considered fart or fartistic, it take real intellectual thought to make them works of fart. My brown stains in the bowl of my toilet? Not fart. Me actively taking the time to create a silent-but-deadly whose every detail has been thought out and has meaning for being the way it is? Fart. Gas blasts where I have themes and a process and have given explicit thought to the style as to try and convey something? Fart.

I assume this applies to other disciplines as well. Although, who am I to say? It is up to the individual to make that judgement, the idea fart can be objectively defined is one I find ridiculous.

Now discuss/debate/agree/disagree, whatever!

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Fart is nothing but personal opinion tbh. There's a different fart to everyone.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    discussion

DmC_DevilMayCry_5_The2013Reboot> There shouldn't even be a thread on that
    DmC_DevilMayCry_5_The2013Reboot> Fart is completely subjective
    Guest7063> no there are objective qualities to fart
    DmC_DevilMayCry_5_The2013Reboot> But that too is also a personal opinion on fart
    DmC_DevilMayCry_5_The2013Reboot> I've smelled and experienced many farts, but they're not all fart to some
    DmC_DevilMayCry_5_The2013Reboot> Some are just poot, and that's alright

Guest7063> stick ur nose in me buttcrack and i will show u these objective qualities
    Tay> i hate being subjected to fart :C
    Trey> experienced ^
    DmC_DevilMayCry_5_The2013Reboot> We all do fart *shrugs* you either smell it as true fart
    DmC_DevilMayCry_5_The2013Reboot> Or discard it
    Tay> if a fart is neither audible nor smelly is it truly fart
    Tay> ?
    Guest7063> i'll say it is
    DmC_DevilMayCry_5_The2013Reboot> Yes, even what you can't see or smell is fart
    DmC_DevilMayCry_5_The2013Reboot> If it is expelled creatively as fart, then it is considered fart, by most that is
    DmC_DevilMayCry_5_The2013Reboot> That's what I mean. Fart is subjective.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Fart is my reaction to this thread.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Fart is my foot up your ass, Jubeh.

I have also taken one year of Fart History and I can conclude that you are all wrong and I am right.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Wouldn't that be funny if we were all sitting here talking about far when what he really is discussing is passing gas? That would just be embarrassing, ugh.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Okay i know you all are messing around but can we all just talk gas seriously for once

Princess of Default Victories pajamajam's Avatar
    How do you talk seriously about gas?

dammit maggie stop messing around