Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seira's art

1. I think I did that while using Quickposes. I only drew the general forms. Unless you meant something else?
    2. I'll admit something: I sometimes (too often) skip the guidelines. Summers50 noticed my drawings looked off for that aspect. I even have the bad tendency to draw the face and complete it without even looking at the body. Then I make the arms and every other element one by one. When I do use guidelines, I use cylinders and spheres, mostly. If it's useful, should I post sketches of drawings without erasing them?

Ah, actually I feel like I color better than how I draw. My avatar was also done by me, and I can honestly say I find it sort of cute. Buuut if I just stay in my confort zone (front face pictures) I'll never improve so I think I better color later, until I have a better level at anatomy.

I think what you should focus on right now is foundations, you won't get as much mileage from your anatomy studies without them.

Shape: The fastest way to learn about it in my opinion is to draw the picture, trace it, hide both drawings and draw the picture again. I'm not sure if it's some approved textbook method, it's something I did when I was little. It will teach you how you draw and how you could've done it... Pick a magazine photo or get a printer to do it. The point of this is to get you to see in shapes, and not things that you can name. Ex. Imagine a baseball. Now take away the fact that it's a baseball, and it becomes red and white shapes that intertwine with each other.

Apply this thinking to your figures and heads, try and check your angles, size of curves, and learn how to control the shapes. The eye is no longer an eye, but dark shapes and light shapes. Same goes for manga.
    Last edited by summers50; 02-11-2014 at 01:43 AM.

I'll already post now what I've got from my first drawing, but I'm warning you. That child has been disfigured. Real bad.
    Drawing 8 (part 1):
    SPOILER! :

Scan.jpg
    Ref:Scan.jpg
    I have no idea why I drew her face that large. Or why did I just... I don't know but I know it's really awfully done. I feel like apologizing to her. And to her family.

I'll probably post the other stuff tomorrow.

That's not too bad, you know sketching techniques. I'm just wondering, if you used the eraser at all? I'd wait for your new drawing after you trace and then talk so we can see if we can nitpick at things that you didn't pick up from the tracing.

Drawing 8 (part 2):
    SPOILER! :

Tracing:
    Scan.jpg
    Drawing:
    Scan 1.jpg
    That tracing was really hard to do. All the white paper I've got is too thick, so I had to go in a room, close all the lights except one I placed under a glass table. And on top of that, there was some other picture on the other side of the one I use, so I couldn't really see what was there. It ended up being a total mess. The second drawing I've done somehow ended up with the eyes placed too far away one from the other, like the other one. I don't feel like it was much of a change... I didn't detail it a lot either, I didn't remember most of the small stuff.

Actually, I only used an eraser when I messed up the left part of her hair. I erased it all and drew it again. I'm not sure if I should have used it more or not.

Ok, so at first glance it looks like you got sick of drawing this thing by the time you got to the third one. I can see why you like the first one, you put more effort into making nice looking marks and shadows, and then you took that away later on. In this subject for finding shape, the way you trace and draw the third one is going to be faster/more helpful to you.

Are you sure the first drawing/third drawing are completely the same? Check the overall shape of the head, excluding eyes nose mouth etc. #1 Distorts far to the left, the cheek area is a lot wider than it needs to be. But when you did #3, you adjusted it and sort of moved it to the right, because you saw the mistake earlier, but then it distorts to the right.

But even with distortion, although #1 is more decorated, #3 looks more believable to me, because the largest problem (imo) the shape of the cranium is more rounded after the tracing, and the jaw/cheek isn't jutting outside of the width of the cranium. #1, if you cut the paper into several different pieces, it will look nice, but when you put it together, it's not as good. Your focus on the detail is coming in too early, and you need more accurate shapes to work with to put in details. (Details should just be shapes within shapes.) Remember: when you're drawing, the face in the photo is not a face, it's a really weird looking 2d shape.

I can tell you're still not seeing completely in shapes, though. Ex. when you drew the lollipop, it looks like "candy on a stick, boom!", and not "two parallel lines tilted slightly to the left, that swerve out, back in, and swooping back up to where they meet." For the next drawing you do, if it's a portrait, draw it upside-down. I think that's a classic strategy there.

Don't draw an eye, draw the dark shapes that you see. Don't draw a cheek, draw the curves themselves. The tracing you made is you looking at the shapes, try to see it the same way. You're not gonna be 100% dead on, don't worry about having ridiculous accuracy.

Untitled-1.jpgShape. Not candy. Shape.

Okay, so I don't need to focus too much on shadows and details for these. Still, even drawing only the shapes is a lot harder than I thought it'd be... I think I'll try drawing an object, for the next one, since the shapes are really more simple. I'll keep drawing people, though, I've been doing 10-15 sketches each day (with refs).
    Last edited by Seira; 02-14-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Okay, so I drew Rei from some Evangelion spin-off. Yet again I only have the first drawing, sorry... I wanted to post at least one drawing today.
    Drawing 9 (part 1):
    SPOILER! :

Scan.jpg
    Ref:
    Scan 1.jpg
    I really tried to draw the shapes, but there still is something off. The head is weird... It's about the same problem than the other drawing, I think.

Did you draw this upside down?

Things that I can say:

At the face, check the distance between the eye line and the chin. Get that distance, and compare it to the distance from the cheek on the left side to the (corner between the swoop of hair on the cheek of the right side and swoop coming down from the forehead).

Check the shape of the sleeves/jacket in the right side sleeve area.
    The (character left) arm is too thin at the upper arm.

The belt is angled down (right to left) instead of up.

You can fix the (character right) shoulder if you fix the face, and reference its shape to the face.
    Last edited by summers50; 02-15-2014 at 06:16 AM.

You don't seem to have started off with any guidelines, so your proportions are off. What many, MANY artists do before a drawing is a simple stickman to draw over. This allows your anatomy to be better, instead of relying on trial and error body placement. Also, copying unrealistic drawing can get you into bad habit. It doesn't teach you anything except how to draw single poses into someone else's style. Instead, draw from real life. It'll help your anatomy, help you to understand proportions and perspective, and help you to develop your own style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!