Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seira's art

Hybrid View

Seira's art

So I decided to do my own critique thread. I (really) need to improve on people's positions, hands, shading and lighting, so, if you can give me some advice it'd be great. I will eventually try to do backgrounds, but I'll focus on the other things first.
    Drawing 1:
    SPOILER! :

something.jpg
    I mostly feel like something is off with the shape of his head. It isn't clean, either (I didn't put much effort in that).

Drawing 2:
    SPOILER! :

Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 7.33.37 PM.jpg
    I dislike her left arm (and the other one too, actually).The coloring is not finished, btw, I wanted to post a full body and it's the most recent I've done. I'll eventually post the finished drawing.
    Last edited by Seira; 02-06-2014 at 10:58 PM.

I'm just gonna go with the thoughts that pop up to me...

First picture: decide whether it's a picture of the front or if the face is turned away, The eyes position (one is closer to the middle) say that it's turned away, but the shape of the face says it's facing forward. The shines on the hair make the head feel like it skinnies up as it gets higher...?

Second picture: Move neck/head left; move right elbow up (viewer right), move bandages on face down a little.

Don't take me too seriously, it's just things i would do.

101 Dalmations Member
    Nice coloring I like it. try to draw simple art in beginning I mean don't use complex clothing or poses and draw lines in strokes . Practice one part at time. For example just upper body and master it or just face and master it.

And another thing in this first art all the lines for hairs should meet at 1 point that is in the middle of head.
    Last edited by arsland; 02-07-2014 at 08:29 AM.

The upper part of her left arm seems very straight - it might help to depict the muscles a little more. You don't need to make her look like a body builder or anything, but even for a fairly thin person, you'll still see gentle curves around the shoulder, bicep and forearm.

SPOILER! :

Proportionally speaking, her hands also seem very small, compared to her head and body.

Thank you for the replies!
    Summers50: It was supposed to be front facing. I'm not sure what went wrong, I usually get front faces right. And, well, I think I'll try moving her head and her neck. I've got too many layers, so if I can't do that, maybe I'll just finish her coloring like she is, and try not to make that mistake anymore.
    And, don't worry, you shouldn't say that last line. Did I sound irritable or something ? Anyways, if you felt like there's something wrong, there IS something wrong: It's supposed to look natural to everyone, and it's not like anatomy has a style.

Arsland: I think I really should do that. Right now, I'm either average or worse than average in everything. And for the hair: I didn't draw the top of head, so I sort of skipped the parting. I thought it'd be okay, but I guess it's not. And, actually, I've recently done a sort of chart with different styles of hair I can do. I'll post it when I'll have access to a scanner.

Gaff: Ah, thanks! I guess it's mostly what felt weird about it. I'll try adding more curves in my next drawing.

I'll also eventually post a front facing full body (with the legs). The problem is I drew it before reading the suggestions, the same errors are likely to be present.

EDIT:
    Here are the drawings I mentionned:

Drawing 3:
    SPOILER! :

25:1:14:Z 1.jpg
    It's the hair chart I've done. I've messed up the top right one, and a few others, but it's mostly because I don't ink well.

Drawing 4:
    SPOILER! :

6:2:14:Z.jpg
    Well, I drew before the suggestions, so it's not the best I can do, I guess.

Drawing 5:
    SPOILER! :

25:1:14:Z.jpg
    There are stains on it. I'm very sorry about that. I've done it a while ago, but I still find it okay. Though, there is a very big problem with her shoulders: It's like they're cut or something. It's weird. Else than that, I'm not sure what are the other problems. The hands, I guess. They're too small and just horrible. Her arms are also weird.
    Last edited by Seira; 02-08-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Alright, it's actually better that you put up some more drawings to show us where you're at with this. So, what I see is that you draw by following outline of your shapes, and I'm going to suggest the same thing as arsland and try to simplify your art for now (talking about chains and stuff), but don't go and try to master each individual thing one at a time, since I think that should come later.

The root of the thing here is that you're drawing one thing at a time, you draw the eyes, got that down, the nose and mouth go over here, and the jaw is shaped like this; Thinking like this makes you blind to the broader scope of your picture. I'm going to say that you should draw some other drawings along the side for now, too.

Try thinking something like: (For people who start the eyes and facial features) The eyes are shaped like so, and they are this far apart, compared to how wide one eye is. The height of the eye compared to the width is this. The bottom of the nose is placed here in relation to the height of the eyes, and the mouth is placed here in relation to the height of the eyes. The chin starts over here in relation to the height of the bottom of the nose to the eye. Basically, taking the size of something you drew and then finding a distance with it. Do it everywhere. What I'm personally gonna be looking for in your next drawings is how you place items everywhere, and how big they are.

Draw some picture you like, do it as best you can until the point where you don't know where to go anymore. After that, get a blank sheet of paper and trace the original picture you drew from. If this goes right, then you'll probably lvl up overnight. Drawing's more about the way you think than making lines. The more flexible you are, the faster you change your way of thinking and get better.

I dealt with a lot of people irl who didn't like what I say about their drawings, so I stopped critiquing and kept my mouth shut for a while. I feel I sound argumentative or annoying because I'm used to a certain crowd.

Thank you, it's really helpful!
    Actually, today, before reading your post, I did try to do some sketches while taking the position of the elements of a body into account. I used a wooden mannequin and had it take some poses.

Drawing 6:
    SPOILER! :

6:2:14:Z.jpg
    I didn't want to post it at first (these really are nothing but sketches), but I suppose you'll be able to spot the errors I make better with it. I didn't focus too much on anything, I tried to just replicate the pose of the mannequin onto paper. You can ignore the stuff in the bottom of the page, it was quite random.

These aren't really well done: I'll post better ones when I'll draw more of them. I feel like I didn't pay enough attention to the points you mentionned. But, you know, I think that what arsland said meant I should focus on the part of the body I do worse so I become at least average at doing it while doing the rest too. Was I mistaken? EDIT: Forget it, I read again what he said and he did mean one part at a time.
    By the way, I usually don't use references. Is it what you meant by drawing a picture I like? Like, copying an image, basically? I thought it wasn't really useful...

And, really, your critiques are helpful(to me, at least!). If they didn't want to hear them, they shouldn't ask.
    Last edited by Seira; 02-09-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Yes, I do mean copying images. You don't "make up" stuff and have it automatically correct after enough practice when it comes to figures and faces. Understanding how to draw what you see is the first step, to what level depends on you. People can't draw people unless they've seen them beforehand (this thinking is a path to drawing objectively). Someone might tell you something a bit different, like draw from life, photos r bad, creativity comes from within, etc. It's just different ways of thinking to make different art.

Drawing 7:
    SPOILER! :

drawing 1.jpgdrawing 2.jpg
    Ref: http://www.yesstyle.ca/en/uuzone-lon...pid.1035126275
    Erm... Instead of drawing one and focusing on it, I drew six different positions and tried to get the most important points (proportion, position of elements) right. I don't know if it's well done, but the few first ones seem weird to me. And also, I didn't trace the drawings, because I can't really put paper onto a screen... I could do it digitally, though.

Hmm. Actually, what you said made sense to me. I searched a bit around and there's that well known website (Quickposes) which has pictures of people you have to draw in a limited timeframe, and I tried to make a few of them. I'll try to do that exercise every day, and hopefully it'll help me. I'll also keep drawing people with no time limit, like with the 7th drawing I made. But, I think I'll stop coloring stuff for now, and I'll also stop these overly complicated dresses to focus on anatomy.
    Last edited by Seira; 02-10-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Hello Welcome to MT and all that jazz. From what I can see so far of your art, you have a lot of potential. You also seem to be really eager to improve which is fantastic. I think a couple of things would be really helpful for you:

1. Figure drawing. By which I mean, loose sketches that get the energy of a pose without all the details. I find that figure drawing helps me get a feel for the proportions of the body without being overly analytical, and it's a lot of fun. These drawings are very much sketches, and they aren't going to look very pretty. Just fyi. So don't worry too much over them, if you try it, and just have fun.

2. It's kind of hard to tell what kind of guidelines you use from these drawings, but breaking up the body - and the face - into basic shapes can be hugely helpful. If you need examples of what I mean I'll find some. Regardless, looking at something and figuring out the general shapes that make it up can be a great exercise.

I know that wasn't exactly critique, but I wanted to give you a few concrete things that I think might be helpful based on your drawings so far. Let me know if any of that wasn't clear or needs expanding upon, but seriously. Keep up the good work. I'm very excited to see what you create. Especially since the first drawings, the ones in color, looked gorgeous.