Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psycho Place [#1]

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.

Psycho Place [#1]

Psycho Place< Click the damn thing, read the damn thing, hate the damn thing

Here's a copy-pasta from the blog I wrote for it so I don't have to write something about it everywhere I post it.

Getting this all off my chest cause whew. It was a ride.

Straight to the point, the idea for the characters sprouted up in a notebook I shouldn't of been doodling in back in my junior year of HS in 2008. It was something like space slugs with guns fighting some kind of resource war with each other, and so one side decided to get the upper-hand, and started to make psychic super soldiers. Yep.

I actually had planned for this whole thing to be a game, because back then I was using GameMaker a lot. So I started working on the game, the first one failed horrible and was never finished. The second iteration did a bit better but never leave alpha, and the same thing with the third iteration which I quit working on back in 2010. Long story short, they all faiiiiilllleeeeed. But I loved the characters I had made so much I just kept trying to figure out a way to bring them to life somehow, other than countless random OC drawings.

The idea for the comic came up maybe a year ago, but after working on my last comic (Triple Flip-- comic about skateboarding) which did meh from 2010-2011, I had stopped with comics and focused more on my 'real' art. And sooo, anyways.

I started to work on prototype sketches for how the comic would look October 2013, all of which just didn't work for me.

I started to really dig into the project and just go head first into the brick wall early December, but this all came after I had an art epiphany and realized I worked far more effective and faster in the traditional medium. After a few test sketches , writing the horrible script up and etc. I went full force at it, and started the first page on Dec 17. The process looked a little something like this: thumbnails, rough fullpage sketches (all 18 pages), draw over the roughs with tight lines and final details (all 18 pages, gahhhh), scan those in, edit, change contrast and etc, figure out what color style I wanted to use if any, do that for all 18 (well, like 20 or something counting the extra pages), and finally edit and/ or rewrite the script to fit the panels better and then toss em into fancy little boxes in Photoshop. I also worked with a self-imposed deadline to get this done and out by 2014, so here it is, BOOM. As much as it took out of me mentally and ... physically (I think I drew so many pages one of those days that I bruised my index finger) I'm pretty proud of myself for finishing this and finishing it on time. I can't wait to actually introduce the main characters and such if this goes over well.

I still haven't finished the final step yet, which is die. But I guess that can wait. In the meantime, enjoy the comic, or hate it. This first issue was essentially a test. Now I wait and see whether or not continuing the story is worth the time and effort, althought I put all I had into each page, so maybe that'll be enough.

TL;DR Until then, Happy New Year to any random people who happen to see this, and enjoy the uh. The comic? Do that plz.
    Now I can finally enjoy my beer.
    Last edited by GunZet; 01-02-2014 at 01:09 AM.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

what kind of beer

A cheap one and an empty stomach.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Actually really like the art style on this, and the pacing is pretty good too. Certainly alot of polish considering the short amount of time it was done in. One thing I'd like to recommend is scaling the page size WAY down to like 700x900ish and actually splitting them individually, through, it's pretty hard to read as-is.

Other than that I'm seeing some damn good publish-quality potential here, man. Shouldn't beat yourself up so much. >_>

I can give a bit more of an in-depth review later if you want, anyhow. Not at home at the minute.

Seriously, through, ppl, give it a look...
    Last edited by Regantor; 01-01-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks for the comment. Sorry about the bad formatting, I've been fiddling with the settings on the site and all that.

I just re-uploaded the whole thing in smaller sizes, though I've planned this first issue in spread format (because I plan on printing it and putting one together to see how it physically works later on) so I didn't separate them, but it should be easier to read now.

And thanks again for the awesome words. I'm just really glad I got this finished. I had no idea where I was going with this at about the half-way mark, which was basically the point of no return, and just wanted to quit. So to hear it actually turned out alright is a win to me haha. I'm also all good for an in-depth review. If I actually continue this, the more input I have to fix things and etc, the better.
    <My comic

comic/10 would read again.

In all seriousness, it's a good read so far. Doesn't explain too much from the get-go but interesting enough to make me want to read more, I'd say it's been worthwhile.

I like it so far.

nice, I really enjoyed reading it. the traditional art is really clean, but gives it some kinda atmospheric texture in the shadows. I love the color schemes too, I'm interested to see if they go on connected with what the story is doing, to indicate mood, action or context. The bending of perspective in some panels with kind of a fish eye view is really interesting as well, it helps the feeling of claustrophobia in some of the panels. love to read the rest when you get too it.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Hail to the king, baby. Also, have you hosted this so that those not from MT could discover it on their own? I think it's being obviously well received here, but even if it weren't, that would not be a reason to quit.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

HA, yknow I can see that post right, Sy. I'm a mod ;D
    All I can say is that I already knew the writing was meh, but I figured as long as I can do my best on at least one part of the comic aka the art, then all I have to do is reach the -half-way-good- mark with the writing and hopefully it'll balance everything out. Not to say I'm a horrible writer, but writing scripts for a comic is a whole different ballgame.

As for everyone else, thank you for the generous comments, and fuck you all, because that means I have to continue this because I said I would if it was received positively, fffff. That being said, I've begun working on revising the script for the second issue and should begin roughing the pages some time this week.

@Bacon: Yes and no. There was a certain mode of presentation I wanted for the comic, and that was to be able to flip through the pages instead of scrolling through them, not to mention I would also appeal to a wider crowd that doesn't know me. I've posted my comic on another site I've been on probably longer than I've been on MT, and it was received pretty well there as well, so yea, I'll definitely be continuing this. The reasons I mentioned I'd stop work on it if it failed is because that first issue took 2 whole weeks of diligent non-stop work to complete, and though I'm doing this for the love of my characters, I can't justify that amount of work being put into something and it ends up sucking while I'm in school and also working on improving my main form of art. There just wouldn't be room for me to press on making a whole series that is to be viewed and enjoyed by my eyes only. I can see and enjoy the whole thing already because it's in my head. Hope that makes sense :I
    <My comic