Thread: Tama's art stuffs

Hybrid View

Tama's art stuffs

So this is where I'll put most of my stuff. I'll probably put WIPs here so I can get critiques of them at a time they can be edited more easily. If I actually produce finished work I'll make an Artist alley thread. Dunno though, I kind of don't like the idea of posting things not up for critique.

Right now I'm in the more initial stages of a couple projects, so a lot of what I've produced this year are prelim and concept sketches. I haven't had much time, so I haven't got much finished work.

In other info, I'm a traditional artist. At some point I'd like to expand my digital abilities further. I work comfortably in semi-realism, but I do full manga style when the subject suits it. I also design costumes. I generally draw either OC's or illustrate written characters for which I have no visual reference.

So, anyways, here is just some collected stuff from this year:

These are from a project request. The orcish creatures are described as almost made out of bone. I take no credit for the creation of these characters, only for their representation in these illustrations based on the author's description.

This one is early, and the shape is still bulky. I'm referencing samurai armor. Here they look too tough and put together, they are supposed to be more crude. Yes I know it's on lined paper.

This one is bare headed and more feral. This is probably a final design. I've been making them long and lanky, long, apelike extension in the arms as if they almost could walk on their knuckles. Think Hydra from the Nausicaa comics.

Sword designs from the same project. The sabers with the basket hilts are used by the human party, the vaguely Scottish Claymores by the orc creatures. The dark spike on the creature's heads was specified in the text, and I tried to mirror the crystalline texture in the hilt of the sword.

A partially finished battle drawing for the same project. The girl is a set character, I have a profile sketch of her somewhere. The creature is still unfinished, mainly because I am unsure of the physicality and clothes at this point. In fact they are mostly bare chested; I have a broken armor plate there. The head is cut off due to the size of my scanner, not much of it shows anyway.

A map for the same project. It scanned very dark for some reason. It will be fully inked and in color. The textured patches around the mountains are lava pits.

And some color tests for the map. Again they are very strong here, a little less vibrant in person. They are in copic markers over ink pen.

And that's it for that project. I have more that's unscanned right now. I'll post some other stuff later, and in the meantime I'd like to know how to make spoilers so these aren't so annoyingly large. Also I can't figure out how to delete those two attachments, so sorry about that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Okay, so what I'm getting at here is that the creature is not finished and you're stuck on what to do with him. All that happened is that you really haven't tossed around enough ideas with what the creature is going to look like, your drawings off the orcs are unclear, it gives the idea that you don't know exactly what you want them to look like. But you have the idea. I take a look at the girl and the swords, and you know exactly what you want. The sword is a rapier. The girl has long hair and cargo pants. It's clear.

So draw a couple of orcs, with a couple of different designs. Pick which ones you like and refine those, give them as much attention as you would the girl and swords. You don't want to end up with the main character being more refined than everything else, it'll be inconsistent. The only thing that should be different across characters is design.

Hmm, I see what you mean. Thing is, I have a design that I like, and also fits my drawing abilities better. The problem is where that conflicts with the feedback that the author gave me on the sketches. Somehow I can picture the figures as bulky, and find them easy to draw that way, but when I try to draw them more skinny or emaciated the silhouette just doesn't look right. Usually this is the point where I'd bring in a reference, but of course no human reference would suit this. I guess what I really need to do is buckle down and sketch the figure until it looks right. You're right, I'm just not giving as much attention to it. It's going to be a bit more tedious, and I'm avoiding it because of that.

Yeah, when you're doing commission work, it's more about doing your homework and figuring out what your client wants, they usually don't come to you and ask about what you want, since it's going to be theirs. It was their mistake that they didn't give you a clear enough picture, sometimes you have to get more hints from talking to them and asking them for more specifics.

For drawing the orcs really skinny, you can still use human references. You can google skeletons and draw those so you have a basis your drawings. Then you flesh the skeleton out, google up some anorexics, (ex. smeagle) , and check out what body parts cave in the most. Try not to erase what you have, after you flesh out, you can trace your drawing, and then draw clothes, weapons, body parts, etc. It'll be more clean and presentable.

Push through this, with experience you'll gain a workflow that'll get you by this more efficiently.