Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scarlet's Dungeon- Alice In Wonderland

101 Dalmations Member ScarletHue's Avatar

Scarlet's Dungeon- Alice In Wonderland

I be here once again. Gonna cut to the chase. Got a lot of time off Uni so thought I'd spent some quality time with the MT'ers.

Moving away from my grimm fairytale style stuff for now. Practising some realism.

First, a rose for my lovlies:
    Done with some good quality fine liners.

My latest realism stuff:

Both done with pencil, charcoal and eraser.
    Blatantly advertising: http://scarlet-light.deviantart.com/

Any comments or crit would be appreciated.

Please, Thank you and until next time.

Until next time
    Last edited by ScarletHue; 05-30-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Nice rose

As for the portraits, and this is just my opinion, but I think you should go about it in a completely different way. Skip the charcoal, skip the wrinkles, the single strands of hair and the rest of all the details. Don't bother with them for now, start out more basic with just the shapes and the relations between them. Get yourself a load of reference pictures and start sketching, and don't spend more than a five or so minutes on each. Set a goal: 50, 100, 200 500? If you just do 50 and spend 5 minutes each it will take you about 4 hours 15 minutes so it's very time effective. Sometimes quality comes with quantity, sometimes it does not. I believe in this case it does, and that's why its my advice to you.

If you're wondering where you are supposed to find 50 or more reference pictures the answer is movies. Play a movie on your computer and whenever you see a good portrait pause and take a screen, save them and make a reference sheet. Just remember to get whole heads and faces, no weird crops like in your portrait of the girl. That just makes it a lot harder for you

Hey.. looking good.. my main critique, would be about the lines in the portraits.. got to create the lines with shadow contrasting with light, instead of drawing lines. Sure, draw them for a guideline.. but once you do a full value drawing, the lines should slowly disappear. Like the wrinkles around the eyes on the left side of the last drawing.. kind of blend in with the shadow of the face, but the lines on the other side stick out because of where the light hits causing a contrast that's unbalanced... Hope this helps a little. His nose looks fantastic by the way!

Rubisko: I'm on it! Thanks, advice well taken.
    Egoslip: Ahh ok I see what you mean, do my best to work on that.

A new biro sketch:

Pretty awesome One thing that strikes me wrong is the right (his left) eye. It seems bigger then the other. Or it may be that the eye is too forward and out of the eye socket. His skull seems squished from the behind. Other then that id say pretty damn good.
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Ah, thanks. I see both of your points. Some one else also commented about the head looking squished over on DA. I'll watch out for that more!
    More Portrait work
    I was just messing around in my smaller sketchbook this time.

“Men can see nothing around them that is not their own image; everything speaks to them of themselves. Their very landscape is alive.” - Karl Marx

You can see better resolution versions
    http://scarletsketchpad.tumblr.com/
    Or
    http://scarlet-light.deviantart.com/#/d4wf31d
    And no, I do not feel shame for advertising XD

Any C+C as usual? Please, Thank you.
    Last edited by ScarletHue; 04-16-2012 at 04:45 AM.

Moving on. I've finished at Uni for 3 months now so gonna get a lot of drawing done. Well first here is just a little bit of the stuff I did while at uni.

And my latest. The return of my OC Nile .

C+C on anything would be great.

Yeah, I really like that piece with the flowers; and not just because I like flowers. But when it comes to the characters it feels like you maybe dive into the details a bit too soon, and the image as a whole suffers because of it. If you feel like that's the case I would suggest you work in passes and put of the details until the very last.

You think so? I'll look over some of my drawings and try to fix it for next time. I admit I'm a bit of a trickster for disguising errors in masses of detail! Thanks.

I realise it's been a long time since I just shared my sketching with this forum. So here's a rough sketch for a competition I'm entering. I'll be doing many more sketches of the character and then a full colour version for the comp. But 'tis early days yet!

Zee Jack of Spades.

I'm open for crit and comments as usual! and the pleases and thank you's.

I think the dog sketches look a little wonky( well just the snout parts) And the last colored one has a case of a rather large head. Other then that pretty good.
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.