Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saving money

saving money

hey im saving money, what methods do you all have for saving as much money as humanly possible

also if anyone knows someone that needs tech support help im selling my services like a common streetwalker

i can do malware removal and general tech support via remote access

assessment fee is $30AUD
    malware removal is $50AUD
    general tech support is $20AUD p/h

ill be doing this until probably end of feb/mid march

so yeah, also how have you guys been
    i wake up every morning and brush my teeth with rainbows after i piss excellence and wash my face with glory

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    When it comes to saving money I convince myself that I am broke but I'm usually not.
    Say I spent $15 from a $20 bill well that is all gone in my head. I will take any change I have that is $5 or lower (bills or coin) and it's straight into a piggy bank somewhere put away. Each time I've had to cash it in its been around $50 each time. I make something like boiled chicken that I can make into multiple dishes throughout the week so I'm not buying lunch everyday at work.
    I'm also one of the lucky few who can (although it's not always a guarantee I will get to) volunteer to stay over and work over time or even come in early.
    My sister goes to the extreme and logs every payment and transaction as well as her paycheck on an app to keep track of her bank account balances and to cross check it with her bank to monitor for fraud (which she has caught using this method).

what bills have you got and do you have a consistent source of income? Go to your bank and find out about the different kinds of accounts they have too, sometimes they have low fee accounts or even student ones where you dont pay fees. Also things like having statements mailed to you and having a book to keep track of your accounts often have fees with them, so if you're getting those, cancel them and try to just look at your stuff online.

My one and only saving option is that I do not EVER spend £2 coins. It's ingrained in my head so much that I physically cannot spend a £2 coin. I put them in one of those 'Pots of Dreams' that to open you have to smash. If you're using £2 coins then if you fill the pot it equals to 2 grand. £1 coins = 1 grand. It seems to be the only method of saving that works for me. It's a more subtle approach cause the £2 coins aren't as common as other coins in the UK, so its not everyday you even get one!
    I've been using my pot of dreams for a year or so now and it's only half full....so there you go. ahahah.

IT WORKS FOR ME.

Just don't buy anything you don't really need?
    I feel guilty whenever I spend money on myself, so I save enough money.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I have a little box of coins that I always toss spare change into. Usually it just stays bare bones cause I always dip into it.

Long story short, I don't save shit.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Quote Originally Posted by Taragon View Post
    Just don't buy anything you don't really need?
    yeah for a lot of people its not just about buying stuff, they have to get food, pay bills and other stuff, so its not that simple

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    Love all these suggestions ^^^ In addition to Haya's questions, what are you trying to save FOR? Welcome back, btw.

These are some things that I do. Not all of them are ideal for everyone, but even picking and choosing just a few to try out can be helpful. I also use mint.com to keep track of my spending. Idk what kind of equivalents you might have in Australia, but it's p. neat.

"pay yourself first" - Out of every paycheque you get, take a set amount or percentage off the top and deposit it directly into your savings account. Even if you can only manage 5 dollars at first, keep doing it and you'll soon adjust to making do with less.

credit - if you must use your credit card, PAY IT OFF IMMEDIATELY and don't use it again until your balance is back to $0. You'll save a lot of money on interest. (The interest rate on my card is about 20% with a 21 day grace period. I've had it for about a year now and have not paid an extra dime.)

reduce or eliminate 'habits' - For example, if you buy a coffee every day, try cutting it down to one every other day. same goes for alcohol, cigarettes, soda, chocolate, gum, whatever (note: coffee you can actually buy in bulk and make yourself if you really need your fix.)

minimize eating out - These costs add up ridiculously fast. I started forgetting my lunch about three times a week and, by spending just $4 each time, I ended up spending almost $80 on fast food in a month alone (and a lot of fast food costs more than that). Also try to avoid convenience stores and shopping on an empty stomach.

make your own meals & snacks - It can be a time-consuming hassle, i won't deny it, but as long as you're not spending too much on the ingredients, it's well worth it. (In addition, I'll make up a big pot of soup or something at the beginning of the week and freeze it in individual portions which i can just grab and reheat if I'm feeling short on time or energy.)

plan your meals in advance - Plan out what you intend to eat for the next week. Consider what groceries you might have leftover from the week before and buy accordingly.

buy groceries in bulk - While buying bulk and no-name brands is a good rule of thumb, don't hesitate to compare pricing on items you buy often (especially if they're on sale).

pay attention to sales and coupons - There isn't much point in buying something just because it's on sale or you happen to have a coupon, but if it's something you buy regularly you might save a couple bucks.

phone, tv, internet - Shop around for deals and then contact your current provider to see if they can match what you've found. if they won't, why not switch? Package deals are awesome too, but if you're not watching a lot of tv, don't pay for it.

savings accounts - I like to keep two savings accounts, one long-term, one short term. The long-term savings atm is basically an amalgamation of retirement savings, school savings and house savings, and is what about a fourth of my monthly paycheque currently goes into. The short term savings is for medical expenses, hobbies and impulse buys. My chequing account is used for transit fare, groceries and rent. Whatever I have left from that (if anything) at the end of the month goes into my short term savings (if there's a deficit it comes out of my short-term savings). Tax-refunds and any side income I earn goes directly into my long-term savings.

I've got others, but that's all I can type out for now. Sometimes it feels like a lot of work, and some months are harder than others, but more often than not, I'll realize that I actually saved a little more than I expected, which feels kind of awesome. I use that extra to treat myself, or give myself a bit of slack during the next month. :)
    Last edited by indescribable; 12-28-2013 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayashida View Post
    what bills have you got and do you have a consistent source of income?
    i pay about $100 a week in rent, last quarter i paid $270 in power, and i put about $200 a week on a $3000 loan. income i make around $650-$900 a week

Quote Originally Posted by indescribable View Post
    Love all these suggestions ^^^ In addition to Haya's questions, what are you trying to save FOR? Welcome back, btw.
    uh... something. basically saving will stop about end of feb-mid march

"pay yourself first" - Out of every paycheque you get, take a set amount or percentage off the top and deposit it directly into your savings account. Even if you can only manage 5 dollars at first, keep doing it and you'll soon adjust to making do with less.
    i have $200 thats automatically transferred into my savings that generates a ridiculous amount of interest if i dont withdraw from it, however i withdraw from it because i need to sometimes

credit - if you must use your credit card, PAY IT OFF IMMEDIATELY and don't use it again until your balance is back to $0. You'll save a lot of money on interest. (The interest rate on my card is about 20% with a 21 day grace period. I've had it for about a year now and have not paid an extra dime.)
    i dont use my credit card

reduce or eliminate 'habits' - For example, if you buy a coffee every day, try cutting it down to one every other day. same goes for alcohol, cigarettes, soda, chocolate, gum, whatever (note: coffee you can actually buy in bulk and make yourself if you really need your fix.)
    i dont drink coffee, soft drinks is my only real habit. im trying to cut down on it, but it doesnt help getting lunch at about 4.30pm sometimes... >_>

minimize eating out - These costs add up ridiculously fast. I started forgetting my lunch about three times a week and, by spending just $4 each time, I ended up spending almost $80 on fast food in a month alone (and a lot of fast food costs more than that). Also try to avoid convenience stores and shopping on an empty stomach.
    i buy breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner every day. theres a petrol station near work too where i buy stuff to nibble on through the day cause im always hungry. forever.
    i think i calculated in a month i spend roughly $600 on food alone. but i dont know how to cook. at all ._.

plan your meals in advance - Plan out what you intend to eat for the next week. Consider what groceries you might have leftover from the week before and buy accordingly.
    i just wing it

buy groceries in bulk - While buying bulk and no-name brands is a good rule of thumb, don't hesitate to compare pricing on items you buy often (especially if they're on sale).
    i dont even buy groceries

pay attention to sales and coupons - There isn't much point in buying something just because it's on sale or you happen to have a coupon, but if it's something you buy regularly you might save a couple bucks.
    i never look at sales or coupons. if theres something i need to buy i walk in and buy it, i hate the shops :\

phone, tv, internet - Shop around for deals and then contact your current provider to see if they can match what you've found. if they won't, why not switch? Package deals are awesome too, but if you're not watching a lot of tv, don't pay for it.
    i pay about $75 a month on phone, another $50 on internet. i dont even own a tv
    Last edited by Aether; 12-28-2013 at 05:33 AM.
    i wake up every morning and brush my teeth with rainbows after i piss excellence and wash my face with glory

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    Lol. In that case maybe give Gunz' suggestion a go. >_>