Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird starting point

Quote Originally Posted by theAnimeRebel View Post
    Drawing straight? O_o ... Okay...

But no, really, don't know what you mean there. If you mean "straighter lines" try making broader, bigger, freeer pencil strokes. Open up your hand more. (Easy to say, hard to actually do.)

I also find it ironic that you are intimidated by anime. Heh.
    I meant drawing straight through the drawing without erasing or preliminary sketches, like the strokes you make on the paper are your starting and final draft. The only thing I know is that it requires discipline, Chris Scalf said that in one of his youtube videos description somewhere. The point I was trying to make before, is that I never practiced drawing, and for about 6 years, I have not gotten one OUNCE better. But only recently I felt like I should practice, and I feel like I can reach this guy's level.

Drawing anime is an unfamiliar territory to me, what I always did best was straight up analytical drawings that I scribbled down. It's kind of why I'm spamming the same pic step by step, because I'm not sure if I'm doing everything right, so I'm probably making a lot of beginner mistakes that one shouldn't rule out. (Ex. Anime hair was spiky and not flowy; There's different ways to draw hair. Also Idk about how exactly to go about clothes. )

I think he means drawing straight on the paper without guidelines, like if you were to draw a face starting with the eyes or hair or face shape with no other guidelines. Right? I'm not entirely sure why you don't want to use guidelines? Or an eraser for that matter... But that's up to you. Regardless it looks sweet, I mean seriously. Well done!

Also I second Rebel up there, don't be too worried about the whole anime style. Just have fun with it, it's not much different than drawing people realistically.

edit: I clearly wrote my response before you posted yours =-= sorry for the redundancy

Well, out of self critique for the family portrait before, I think the left person has : misalign facial features, nose too long, values in hair is not consistent; middle person: Head looks misshapen, upper body looks flat; right person : the face itself is not sitting into the head properly, and overall the drawing doesn't use a consistent value set between the three of them.

figure studies.jpgSo, after using posemaniac at 30 seconds for a while, it actually started to feel redundant and not help me, since I didn't know how to structure a body very well. I ended up learning more taking a couple steps back and following the video for the method of structuring and checking proportions from other websites. I'm thinking the 30 second practice would benefit me most if I had proper mastery of the basics first. I'm actually having trouble trying to fit the boxes into the body, since we don't have box shapes. I know that the vertices are at the end of the ribs and hip bones, but then i try to find the box from there and can't see it for some reason. It takes me a while to try to find it if I do.
    cap11.jpgOkay and this, I went back and redrew stuff to try and get the face not so weird looking, and I tried to make the hair as flowy as I possibly can. I'm not used to deliberately changing line weights, so it got confusing in some places, so the line weights are a bit weird to look at (?). Proportionally still not sitting well with me, I might have to moving things around again, I'm looking mostly at the front arm (?). I'm not really working from the one reference picture anymore, but it would probably help to have it to compare...
    tumblr_static_misaka_mikoto_by_ergheiz33-d3dcqle.jpg

It looks like you've tracing almost all of the upper portion of the "ref" including head, hand, and AT LEAST sleeves. A Reference is for reference only. DON'T TRACE!! One, it's basically stealing. And two, it WON'T help you improve. Also, the ref isn't even anatomically correct. Her eyes are too low (ears should be eye height). The front thigh is unnaturally curved inward. The thighs are much longer than the calves (they should be close to the same length. The far arm is not connected well to its hand. You should find some real life refs to get a better idea of the pose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

I'll point out that I didn't trace the picture, I'm not gonna take the time to put them on top of each other to show u that.

Lol, did I really steal that much? I mean the character itself is by some Japanese artist tho...

Furthermore, I think tracing does help a person improve their drawing skill. it shows a person how something is supposed to be recorded when you draw it, although it is copying, it does have its lessons.

I agree the calve bone and thigh bone are about equal lengths, I just overdid a perspective effect I tried to pull so I guess I killed it. It would only make sense if I had a background to put it into context.

The far arm is a difficult maneuver because the forefinger looks like a thumb, and I rotated the arm in such a way where hiding the hand would probably be more likely route, but I decided to try and push it in so that the hand stays in the picture. if I put my arm on my hip and look at it it's an awkward shot anyways, so it's gonna look awkward no matter how many times I draw it.

I think maybe the eyes aren't too low...I may have to fix the ear and rearrange the face a little, but it's def not too low looking to me.

I turned the thigh slightly inward to help make it seem like the hip is slightly turned, due to the back foot pointing outward. It's an exaggerated feature. What's a better way to draw it?

idk.jpg
    trees.jpg
    Last edited by summers50; 12-28-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: just wanted to add more stuff to be crit'd

Whoops, I meant the EARS are too low. My mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

It might be too far removed from the original to be of much help, but this (middle of the three) is about the closest I could think of in terms of a stock image, in case it's of any use:

http://faestock.deviantart.com/art/F...wer7-109598121

CameraZOOM-20131230185622218.jpgI screwed up on the clavicle a bit, I know that, I just didn't erase anything in here. This is mostly a negative space drawing.
    CameraZOOM-20131230185857449.jpgSome studying from drawing my hand, probably not too helpful since I only have one angle.
    CameraZOOM-20131230190447822.jpgSketching passersby and people sitting down outside of subway. Image rotated when I uploaded, not sure why.
    colored.jpgChanged the pose, the open hand on the hip just doesn't work well at that angle, and so made a fist instead; I changed the pose so it doesn't seem like I'm tracing anymore, I'll have to thank Gaff for his link. The eyes were misaligned throwing the ear out of alignment, so I moved one eye and one ear to fix that. Leaving the ear low to express a tilt upward from the head. Touched the legs a bit, ended up being something more of a stylistic and compositional call. Calling it quits on this drawing. No background, I'm just moving on from it.

medium.jpgOut of work and on the drawing pad, tried to go from start to finish fast. I think I got a little better at picking colors to work with. I'm aware the features are off, I had trouble figuring out how the eyes work when they turn from face front to 3/4. There's no specific lighting point either.

If anyone doesn't like how I draw existing characters, I have yet to learn enough to make decent OC. Got a complaint about it elsewhere.
    Last edited by summers50; 01-10-2014 at 04:58 AM.